SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Minnesota Wild

Barkov

Aug. 20, 2020 at 11:23 a.m.
Hockey Fan13
I know Barkov is a pipedream, but I listen to a lot of Russo and on "The Russo Souhan Show" ,"Straight from the Source" and his Athletic column he mentions Barkov. He admits Barkov isn't going anywhere just yet but he sees a scenario in the next year where that may change. Russo doesn't put a lot of things out there without something in the air. I think he has heard something. I'm trying to figure out a offseason ACGM that puts the Wild in a good position to trade for him.
Anyway curious to know what you think it will take to get him or if I'm reading to much into things.
mnwild1790 liked this.
Aug. 20, 2020 at 12:31 p.m.
Quoting: Paul13
I know Barkov is a pipedream, but I listen to a lot of Russo and on "The Russo Souhan Show" ,"Straight from the Source" and his Athletic column he mentions Barkov. He admits Barkov isn't going anywhere just yet but he sees a scenario in the next year where that may change. Russo doesn't put a lot of things out there without something in the air. I think he has heard something. I'm trying to figure out a offseason ACGM that puts the Wild in a good position to trade for him.
Anyway curious to know what you think it will take to get him or if I'm reading to much into things.

Honestly, I'm not trying to get to hyped up about it because it's very much a pipedream but I too have read Russo's article about Center options. Barkov would be perfect here. Here's what I think it would take to get him away from Florida:

Boldy
Ek
2021 1st Unprotected
2022 1st Unprotected

I'm hoping I'm wrong but I think this is the package that will have to go back
OutCold13 liked this.
Aug. 20, 2020 at 1:15 p.m.
Hockey Fan13
Quoting: mnwild1790
Honestly, I'm not trying to get to hyped up about it because it's very much a pipedream but I too have read Russo's article about Center options. Barkov would be perfect here. Here's what I think it would take to get him away from Florida:

Boldy
Ek
2021 1st Unprotected
2022 1st Unprotected

I mean for Barkov I let EK go but I don't want to, everything else in that package is ok for me. I was hoping if Wild draft Lundell that maybe they would take him instead in a similar package.
Aug. 20, 2020 at 2:59 p.m.

Ever since Russo went to the Athletic he's gone more and more into speculation with nothing of substance behind it. He needs the clickbait.

Quoting: mnwild1790

Boldy
Ek
2021 1st Unprotected
2022 1st Unprotected

I wouldn't touch that deal from MN. Barkov has 2 years left on his deal and then he's a UFA. If he walks then MN just trashed their team for the next 5-10 years. That's worse than all of GMCF's payments combined.
mnwild1790, OutCold13 and JayTea liked this.
Aug. 20, 2020 at 3:02 p.m.
Quoting: wabit
I wouldn't touch that deal from MN. Barkov has 2 years left on his deal and then he's a UFA. If he walks then MN just trashed their team for the next 5-10 years. That's worse than all of GMCF's payments combined.

I never said that they should take that deal. I was just commenting on what a trade would look like for Barkov...at least what I think it would cost.
Aug. 20, 2020 at 4:31 p.m.
Hockey Fan13
Ever since Russo went to the Athletic he's gone more and more into speculation with nothing of substance behind it. He needs the clickbait.

If Wild were to pay that price I'm guessing they have used some sort of a back channel or agent to get a idea if he is willing to sign a long term deal in MN. As far as Russo click bait he maybe puts himself out there a bit more but he isn't playing fast and loose like Friedman.
Aug. 20, 2020 at 4:57 p.m.
If Wild were to pay that price I'm guessing they have used some sort of a back channel or agent to get a idea if he is willing to sign a long term deal in MN. As far as Russo click bait he maybe puts himself out there a bit more but he isn't playing fast and loose like Friedman.

His podcasts he is a lot more like Friedman. At least when he writes something it's more reserved. I liked Russo better when he was just a (very good) beat writer, not a media personality like he is now.
OutCold13 liked this.
Aug. 20, 2020 at 5:03 p.m.
Hockey Fan13
His podcasts he is a lot more like Friedman. At least when he writes something it's more reserved. I liked Russo better when he was just a (very good) beat writer, not a media personality like he is now.

Still he has the best connections to the Wild, if print wasn't a dying industry maybe someone else could get in but when it comes to the Wild nobody has better info, aside from Billy G, than Russo. Sometimes though I admit he starts talking about players and a game and I have to wonder if he watched what I watched.
Aug. 20, 2020 at 5:10 p.m.
Still he has the best connections to the Wild, if print wasn't a dying industry maybe someone else could get in but when it comes to the Wild nobody has better info, aside from Billy G, than Russo. Sometimes though I admit he starts talking about players and a game and I have to wonder if he watched what I watched.

Russo lost a lot of his connections when Fletcher was fired. Fenton gave him nothing and Russo had a running feud with him because of that. I'm not sure how much Guerin gives him, but the house is pretty well cleaned out from the GMCF years.

Some of his takes are out there, I agree. He does seem to have his favorites that can do no wrong.
OutCold13 liked this.
Aug. 22, 2020 at 4:32 p.m.
14m in dead cap
I think what you're referring to was him impling that if Barkov was unwilling to sign in Florida, they may listen on offers to at least get something instead of losing him for nothing. That likely wouldn't be until next summer at the earliest. Any GM who has a player of that caliber that isn't willing to sign and their team isn't a legit Cup contender before the deadline needs to get something before they lose them. The problem is there needs to be a compelling reason to view Minnesota as being a place he'd sign, otherwise they're in the same situation minus whatever they gave up to get him.
OutCold13 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll