Forums/Minnesota Wild

Play in round observations

Aug. 8, 2020 at 12:36 a.m.
Hockey Fan13
1. I really like Sturms game.
2. I hate Zuccarello
3. I hate Galchenyuk
4. Greenway doesn't care
5. Does anyone work harder than Hartman?
mnwild1790 and TanSor liked this.
Aug. 8, 2020 at 2:39 a.m.
Quoting: Paul13
1. I really like Sturms game.
2. I hate Zuccarello
3. I hate Galchenyuk
4. Greenway doesn't care
5. Does anyone work harder than Hartman?

1, 2, and 3 I agree on.
4. I liked Greenway's game, he needs to play like that all the time so he knows where the line is for penalties.
5. Foligno, Kunin, JEE, Hartman could all be in the running for that.

Now mine:
Koivu is done. He played okay, but he's nothing more than a d-zone/PK 4C at this point. Foligno should get the "C" next year.
Spurgeon was the player I've said he was for years now. A nice complimentary d-man (better Barrie) but nothing more. 8 of the 12 GA (not all his fault) came when he was on the ice. He can't play real defense, just float around and rely on his partner does the heavy lifting.
Hunt needs to go away.
Stalock was good, but Markstrom was better.
JEE had a really good series.
Dumba looked so much better than he did during the season.
Brodin was, by far, the best d-man on the Wild.
Parise wasn't the Parise I'm used to seeing in the Playoffs. He just looked just a smidgen off.
Fiala didn't miss a beat with the time off. I think he'll get the learning curve next year with being the player other teams focus on. He got frustrated and it showed.
The 3rd line (Zucc/Chucky) being a blackhole killed the team.
The PP needs to be fixed. Just a bunch of standing around and then playing fetch because it's easy to defend and they lose the puck.
I'm still bummed Kaprizov didn't get to play. No clue if he would have made a difference or not. I just wanted to see him play.

I've hated the refs, over 1/3 of the game shouldn't be special teams play. (Not just for this series)
OutCold13 and mnwild1790 liked this.
Aug. 8, 2020 at 2:04 p.m.
Hockey Fan13
Quoting: wabit
1, 2, and 3 I agree on.
4. I liked Greenway's game, he needs to play like that all the time so he knows where the line is for penalties.
5. Foligno, Kunin, JEE, Hartman could all be in the running for that.

Now mine:
Koivu is done. He played okay, but he's nothing more than a d-zone/PK 4C at this point. Foligno should get the "C" next year.
Spurgeon was the player I've said he was for years now. A nice complimentary d-man (better Barrie) but nothing more. 8 of the 12 GA (not all his fault) came when he was on the ice. He can't play real defense, just float around and rely on his partner does the heavy lifting.
Hunt needs to go away.
Stalock was good, but Markstrom was better.
JEE had a really good series.
Dumba looked so much better than he did during the season.
Brodin was, by far, the best d-man on the Wild.
Parise wasn't the Parise I'm used to seeing in the Playoffs. He just looked just a smidgen off.
Fiala didn't miss a beat with the time off. I think he'll get the learning curve next year with being the player other teams focus on. He got frustrated and it showed.
The 3rd line (Zucc/Chucky) being a blackhole killed the team.
The PP needs to be fixed. Just a bunch of standing around and then playing fetch because it's easy to defend and they lose the puck.
I'm still bummed Kaprizov didn't get to play. No clue if he would have made a difference or not. I just wanted to see him play.

I've hated the refs, over 1/3 of the game shouldn't be special teams play. (Not just for this series)

I mostly agree. I still think shift in and shift out Hartman put the most effort in but the other guys you mentioned were definitely noticeable on every shift.
Greenway still is so inconsistent on his effort. He had shifts, more than usual, where he was definitely play the way the Wild need him to, but then he would take the next shift and float. It's the playoffs kinda sorta, you just can't float.
Parise gave good effort but he is 36 so he just might be falling off, I didn't hate his game, off is a good way to put it.
Staal had a nice series I think.
mnwild1790 liked this.
Aug. 8, 2020 at 5:15 p.m.
I mostly agree. I still think shift in and shift out Hartman put the most effort in but the other guys you mentioned were definitely noticeable on every shift.
Greenway still is so inconsistent on his effort. He had shifts, more than usual, where he was definitely play the way the Wild need him to, but then he would take the next shift and float. It's the playoffs kinda sorta, you just can't float.
Parise gave good effort but he is 36 so he just might be falling off, I didn't hate his game, off is a good way to put it.
Staal had a nice series I think.

The only time I noticed Greenway floating was when he was with Chucky/Zucc; but to be fair nobody looked good with them.
OutCold13 and mnwild1790 liked this.
Aug. 10, 2020 at 11:16 a.m.
Sorry I'm late to the party. You guys have brought up some great points. The one point I want to harp on some more is Zucc. What on earth do we do about Zucc? I was hoping time would fix this issue and it clearly hasn't. He was the least valuable player to me. And I'd be okay with that if he was worth 700K but he's worth 6M. It seems foolish to buy him out with 4 years left considering we'd feel the effects for the better part of a decade, but if not that, what can be done?
OutCold13 liked this.
Aug. 10, 2020 at 12:55 p.m.
Hockey Fan13
Quoting: mnwild1790
Sorry I'm late to the party. You guys have brought up some great points. The one point I want to harp on some more is Zucc. What on earth do we do about Zucc? I was hoping time would fix this issue and it clearly hasn't. He was the least valuable player to me. And I'd be okay with that if he was worth 700K but he's worth 6M. It seems foolish to buy him out with 4 years left considering we'd feel the effects for the better part of a decade, but if not that, what can be done?

I think Wild are stuck with him one more year because of the NMC but after the ED I think if Wild retain some Wild might be able to move him.
mnwild1790 liked this.
Aug. 10, 2020 at 12:57 p.m.
I think Wild are stuck with him one more year because of the NMC but after the ED I think if Wild retain some Wild might be able to move him.

Best case scenario. Much better option than a buyout. No matter what, we're going to eat some of his salary.
OutCold13 liked this.
Aug. 12, 2020 at 4:11 p.m.
14m in dead cap
I didn't get to watch a single game. I get up for work at 5:30am and all of the games were either late at night when I'm getting read for bed or while I'm at work. Great job NHL!

It really sounds like Fiala got a taste of being the focus of the other team's defense and he still produced 3 goals and an assist in 4 games, I'd say that's good. They really need a guy like Kaprizov, Boldy, or Beckaman to become an offensive threat to help Fiala out.
mnwild1790 and OutCold13 liked this.
Aug. 12, 2020 at 4:55 p.m.
Quoting: JayTea
I didn't get to watch a single game. I get up for work at 5:30am and all of the games were either late at night when I'm getting read for bed or while I'm at work. Great job NHL!

It really sounds like Fiala got a taste of being the focus of the other team's defense and he still produced 3 goals and an assist in 4 games, I'd say that's good. They really need a guy like Kaprizov, Boldy, or Beckaman to become an offensive threat to help Fiala out.

Hopefully Kaprizov's game translates to the NHL so he can quickly help us in that department. Because when I watched that series, I saw a little bit of pressing from Fiala, as in he was feeling the pressure of being the only weapon. So you're right, we need to get him some help...hopefully we already have the answer!
OutCold13 and JayTea liked this.
Aug. 12, 2020 at 7:46 p.m.
Quoting: mnwild1790
Hopefully Kaprizov's game translates to the NHL so he can quickly help us in that department. Because when I watched that series, I saw a little bit of pressing from Fiala, as in he was feeling the pressure of being the only weapon. So you're right, we need to get him some help...hopefully we already have the answer!

I think part of the problem was that the Staal/Fiala line couldn't find a LW to fit with them. They run all camp with Greenway (should have been Parise) and they had no chemistry.
JayTea, OutCold13 and mnwild1790 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll