SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

Tomorrow night is gonna be nuts

Tomorrow night is gonna be nuts

Draft Class: 2019
Created By: druecappawana
Published: Jun. 20, 2019 at 10:40 p.m.
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the New Jersey Devils-New Jersey has a hard pick -- I don't agree with the idea that Kakko is better than Hughes, even if Kakko will be better in Year One. Hughes is going to be a superstar and New Jersey is set for a very long time with Hughes and Hischier
2Logo of the New York Rangers-The Rangers have the easiest pick in the draft; just take whoever is left of the top two of Hughes and Kakko.
3Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-This is where the draft gets muddy. Chicago could go one of two routes here: take a center and bolster an admittingly subpar forward prospect pool, although center is the strongest position, or take a defenseman and stack their strong defensive pool already consisting of the likes of Henri Jokiharju and Adam Boqvist. I think they'll take Turcotte to provide that eventual number one center once Toews is set to take a dip in the Hawks lineup.
4Logo of the Colorado AvalancheLogo of the Ottawa SenatorsThe Hawks taking Turcotte at #3 puts the Avs in a really difficult position. They could use a center of the future to put behind Nathan MacKinnon. Right now, their best center prospect may be the 16th pick from last year's draft, Martin Kaut, or the 28th pick from the 2017 draft, Shane Bowers. Neither of those players projects to be a strong 2C, perhaps a strong 3C, and Kaut is being played as a winger in the AHL anyways. On defense, the Avs lack a left-handed defenseman who could become a #1 pairing guy in the future. Sure, Sam Girard could be that, but Byram projects to be better than Girard. Additionally, the Avs lack defensive prospects period, with their best outside of Cale Makar being...Ryan Graves? Byram seems to be the smartest choice here with a plethora of strong forwards being available at their second pick of round one, at #16.
5Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-The Kings don't really have a hard pick here. They definitely wanted Bowen Byram, but with the Avs selecting him at #4 that clearly isn't possible. The Kings don't have a bad defensive prospect pool either, with the likes of Mikey Anderson, Kale Clague, and Jacob Moverare leading that pack. I think the Kings take a center who projects to be a first liner and is a strong playmaker. That could be either Kirby Dach or Dylan Cozens. Personally, I like Dach more, but Cozens would not be a bad option either.
6Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-Detroit needs anything. With Cozens being the best available player at #6, he seems to be the logical choice for the Red Wings.
7Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-Buffalo has a prospect pool for which they don't get enough credit. Their center depth is not too bad, with Eichel, Mittelstadt, and Thompson rounding out a potential top 3. Their defense isn't totally screwed, as they have Lawrence Pilut, Will Borgen, and Casey Fitzgerald waiting in the wings. What the Sabres do lack in the defensive department, however, is another strong right-handed defenseman to play on the top pairing with Rasmus Dahlin. And no, Rasmus Ristolainen will neither be that number one nor will he be on the Sabres when Dahlin reaches his peak. Therefore, I believe the Sabres will go off the board and draft Swedish right-handed defenseman Victor Soderstrom to fill that gap.
8Logo of the Edmonton Oilers-It may seem like the Oilers need to take a defenseman to upgrade their already strong defensive prospect pool. But, as I'm sure I made clear, that seems like a confusing choice. The Oilers seem to be developing Leon Draisaitl to be McDavid's left winger, and with Nugent-Hopkins continuously mentioned in trade rumors, the Oilers may look at drafting a center to replace Nuge if and when he leaves Edmonton. Trevor Zegras has fallen far enough, the Oilers will snag him up.
9Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-The Ducks are stuck in a spot where they should take the best player currently available. The debate: who is the best player available? My answer would be Cole Caufield, however, Matthew Boldy is not far behind. I could see Caufield falling a bit due to his smaller size, and Anaheim seems prime to be one of those teams. They desperately need scoring, and either of Caufield or Boldy can do that for them. Boldy better fits their team system, and therefore the Ducks will select him at #9.
10Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-Imagine the first line of Cole Caufield - Elias Pettersson - Brock Boeser. Doesn't that sound sick? I'm sure the Canucks' management agree. Caufield goes at 10.
11Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-Oh, Philadelphia. You've been making so many moves in the week leading up to the draft, none of them considerably significant or good. Your team is getting older and could use a player who will score you some goals. Alex Newhook is that guy. He scored 38 goals and still had time to get another 64 assists this season for Victoria of the BCHL. Hey, your defense is going to be spectacular. Might as well match your forward core.
12Logo of the Minnesota Wild-The former playoff participants are lacking strong defensive prospects. They've been handed a gift with Philip Broberg falling to #12. Fedor Gordeev will not be the next Ryan Suter for you. Broberg likely won't be, either, but he'll at least be closer to it than Gordeev.
13Logo of the Florida Panthers-Thomas Harley's draft stock has risen considerably since the beginning of the 2018-19 season. And for good reason, Harley is a great defenseman. Florida is lacking strong defensive prospects, so I see them going slightly off the board and taking Harley at #13.
14Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-Arizona is going to need a starting goalie of the future. Right now, their best goalie prospect is arguably Adin Hill. Their defensive prospects are solid, their forward prospects are solid, all that is left is a strong one-two punch in the goalie category to put Arizona in a position to be great in a few years. Spencer Knight offers that to the Coyotes. He'll go at #14.
15Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-Montreal
16Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-
17Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-
18Logo of the Dallas Stars-
19Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
20Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-
21Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins-
22Logo of the Los Angeles KingsLogo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
23Logo of the New York Islanders-
Patrik Puistola
Although not available to draft in the CapFriendly mock draft, Patrick Puistola is another 17-year-old who impresses at the professional level. Much like Hoglander, Puistola is magical with his hands and can create a play with solely his hands. The Islanders are set on defense, and with Anders Lee likely going to another team in free agency, the Islanders should get their hands on the left-winger at #23.
24Logo of the Nashville Predators-
25Logo of the Washington Capitals-
26Logo of the Calgary Flames-
27Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning-
28Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-
29Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the San Jose Sharks
30Logo of the Boston Bruins-A large winger, described as someone who can take the play a bit too far...Sounds like a Bruin to me. He's also gifted offensively.
31Logo of the Buffalo SabresLogo of the St. Louis Blues
Jun. 21, 2019 at 12:46 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
CapFriendly is an awesome website that does a great job with keeping trade of teams' cap situations, contracts, etc and is quick to update. But the one thing i've wondered is where CF gets its draft rankings. If they are meant to be accurate then idk what to say. Some potential 1st rounders aren't available on the CF mock draft. I don't think it's meant to be accurate though.

Edit: Keeping track* of teams' cap situations, contracts, etc ... LOL idk if i accidentally put in "keeping trade" or if it was auto-correct.
druecappawana liked this.
Jun. 21, 2019 at 12:00 p.m.
I think CF gets their draft rankings from the preseason EP rankings, since it looks like they also get their stats for each player from EP.
rangersandislesfan liked this.
Jun. 21, 2019 at 12:01 p.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
CapFriendly is an awesome website that does a great job with keeping trade of teams' cap situations, contracts, etc and is quick to update. But the one thing i've wondered is where CF gets its draft rankings. If they are meant to be accurate then idk what to say. Some potential 1st rounders aren't available on the CF mock draft. I don't think it's meant to be accurate though.

Edit: Keeping track* of teams' cap situations, contracts, etc ... LOL idk if i accidentally put in "keeping trade" or if it was auto-correct.

Pretty sure it comes from EliteProspects. But yeah, Cozens is ranked 2, Kakko at 4, Lavoie at 9?
rangersandislesfan liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll