Forums/Armchair-GM

Garth Snow Keeps his Job

Created by: Hawkisles
Team: 2016-17 New York Islanders
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 1, 2016
Published: Jun. 2, 2016
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Normally, I'm not a fan of trading away prospects/picks for established talent... but Garth Snow has new owners now and the Isles have two glaring weaknesses: at goalie and on offense. Our defense is fine, but improvement there would be welcome. So what can Garth Snow do to keep his job without harming NYI's chances at a cup over the next 5 years?

Well, let's take a look at what Chicago and LA have been doing. Both have gotten the majority of Stanley Cups over the past six or seven seasons. What do these teams have in common?
- Two elite forwards
- Four above average defensemen
- Young talented forwards who are still on their ELCs (think Teravainen and Toffoli)
- A well-paid goaltender who gets hot during the playoffs

Based on all of that, Garth Snow needs to make a team that follows that general guideline. So out of that checklist, what do we have?
- One elite forward (Okposo is arguably elite, but on the way out sadly)
- Three above average defensemen (Leddy, Boychuk, Hamonic)
- Young talented forwards who are still on their ELCs
- A moderately well-paid goaltender who used to get hot during the playoffs until he got injured fifty times.

So Snow's job is to address at least two of these options... which is no small task.

Luckily, Tampa Bay will have to let go some talent, either by letting Stamkos walk or trading away someone expensive yet very, very good. Snow needs to jump on this as aggressively as he can. If Stamkos walks, Snow needs to outbid everyone else. If he doesn't, he needs to extend offers or that 4th defenseman, a solid forward or maybe even Ben Bishop. Any of these could happen, but we don't want to overshoot here. Despite Victor Hedman being a very attractive prize and the only defenseman of note to not have a no trade clause on his contract, his fantastic performance this offseason means he's not going anywhere. One forward of value to the Islanders is Filpulla, but he also has a no trade clause. Remember, the whole reason Tampa would deal with anyone right now is to shed cap. Ben Bishop has a no movement, which is distinct from a no trade clause. So Yzerman can either let Stamkos walk or trade away Callahan or Bishop. Stamkos and Bishop are both franchise status goalies, so I'd expect Callahan, who has been struggling somewhat, to be the most movable. If we send one of our better LW prospects and a mid level defenseman, we should be able to nab Callahan for cheap. Are we underpaying? Yes, but remember, TAMPA IS DESPERATE TO KEEP STAMMER AND BISHOP. They'd agree to this in the same way Chicago and Boston gave away Leddy and Boychuk for pennies.

Calgary is looking for a new goaltender, but unlike Tampa, they won't be as desperate. Rumor has it that TJ Brodie is on the block and that they'll need a new goaltender. Brodie for Halak is a good starting point but is way off in value. Pulock had a head-turning postseason and has a slapshot far more punishing than anything Brodie can or ever will muster. Tomas Hickey (not a flashy or high scoring defenseman but he's very young and is a deep stats darling to many) along with a 2nd round pick and you have a decent trade that addresses both teams needs. We walk away with one of the league's better top 4s, and Calgary walks away with a huge improvement in net, greater forward depth and a promising young defenseman in Ryan Pulock. This is a relatively even trade when you consider both sides' needs.

At this moment, we need to clear cap to have the rest of this roster make sense. In a perfect world, we could move Grabovski. Grabovski can pull his weight, but he's NOWHERE near worth his 5 million dollar contract. Coincidentally, his and Tavares' contracts are up in the same year, so keeping his contract around isn't THAT big of a deal. Tavares will make roughly 10 Million on his next contract anyways and if we just let Grabo walk, we basically break even. If Garth Snow can find a way to move him, I'd love to see him do it, but I can't see anyone picking Grabo up. Kulemin, like Grabovski, is overpaid but not by much. He's shown some flexibility playing on either wing and provides modest scoring depth. Still, I don't know if we really want to trade that kind of asset away. Furthermore, while we have Grabovski on board, I think there's a small chance at a Kulie-Grabo renaissance if we keep them on the same 3rd line consistently throughout the year. So Kulie shouldn't be our cap victim. Josh Bailey, despite popular belief by Islanders fans, DOES have trade value and his contract isn't too ridiculous. He isn't high scoring, but he's defensively responsible and has a very high Hockey IQ. Arizona could use a depth forward like him; for 3.3 mil a year he'll play defensively responsible hockey and can play Center or Wing with just about anyone. Send him to Arizona for a 4th rounder. That trade should be fair for both sides.

That leaves us with a vacancy in net, so we'd best look in free agency for that. While Andersen COULD stay in Anaheim, he'll want a raise. That said, the emergence of Gibson will likely mean Anaheim won't want to spend that kind of money on Andersen. Andersen has shown playoff chops before and the ability to be a solid starter. If we offer Andersen a lucrative contract, we could feasibly make a Free Agency run for him, since Anaheim's management will likely be on the fence about overpaying their backup goaltender.

Call up Josh Ho-Sang and Michael Dal Colle and now we have checked everything off Garth Snow's checklist:
- Elite Winger for Tavares (Callahan... not quite elite but close enough.)
- Top 4 Defensive Group of Leddy, Boychuk, Hamonic and TJ Brodie (more than good enough)
- Young talent still on their ELCs (Dal Colle and Ho Sang both have serious talent, and have both earned their chance)
- A playoff-proven goaltender (Andersen, while not incredible, was only kept out of the Stanley Cup finals by the Chicago Blackhawks two seasons ago... so can you really blame him?)

I can see a lot of these deals going differently, especially with Tampa, but this would give the Isles the overhaul they need without unduly hurting their chances at success down the road.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$5,000,000
1$3,000,000
2$1,250,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,750,000
Cizikas, Casey
5$3,350,000
Trades
CGY
  1. Halák, Jaroslav
  2. Hickey, Thomas
  3. Pulock, Ryan
Additional Details:
2017 2nd round pick
NYI
    2017 4th round pick
    Buyouts
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    22$73,000,000$67,942,709$0$2,412,500$5,057,291
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$2,200,000$2M)
    LW
    UFA - 3
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    C, LW
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 2
    $5,800,000$5,800,000
    RW
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $3,750,000$3,750,000
    LW
    UFA - 3
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 2
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 2
    $4,187,500$4,187,500
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 2
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
    RW, C
    UFA - 3
    $1,750,000$1,750,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 4
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $800,000$800,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    Cizikas, Casey
    $3,350,000$3,350,000
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    LD
    UFA - 6
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    RD
    NMC
    UFA - 6
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    G
    UFA - 5
    $4,650,400$4,650,400
    LD/RD
    UFA - 4
    $3,857,143$3,857,143
    RD
    UFA - 4
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $1,966,667$1,966,667
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $854,333$854,333
    LD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jun. 2, 2016 at 5:10 p.m.
    I like the idea and I agree with most things besides maybe ho-sang and dal colle being ready, however Callahan is not elite once so ever and Tavares needs a better winger then him
    Jun. 2, 2016 at 5:39 p.m.
    Quoting: mcginny14
    I like the idea and I agree with most things besides maybe ho-sang and dal colle being ready, however Callahan is not elite once so ever and Tavares needs a better winger then him

I agree that Callahan isn't elite anymore, but after the Cizikas contract, I can't see us going after anyone too flashy. Callahan is the most movable piece from Tampa, and if I were Yzerman, I'd be shopping Callahan rather than letting Stamkos walk. Might as well buy low on a decent top 6-worthy forward.
    Jun. 2, 2016 at 6:00 p.m.
    LongtimeLeafsufferer
    I don't think you should trade some good young assets for Brodie. If Halak and Greiss are good enough for one more year, maybe go that route and wait until next summer when more goalies are available. Yea I would forgo
    Callahan and his contract.
    My thought that Grabovski and Kumulin still have value as players....You might be able to give them away and retain some salary, and then sign some players you might really want as UFA and not give up any assets.
    Stamkos, Ladd, Demers, Yandle. Would you want Nielsen and Okposo to return?
    Jun. 2, 2016 at 8:29 p.m.
    Quoting: palhal
    I don't think you should trade some good young assets for Brodie. If Halak and Greiss are good enough for one more year, maybe go that route and wait until next summer when more goalies are available. Yea I would forgo
    Callahan and his contract.
    My thought that Grabovski and Kumulin still have value as players....You might be able to give them away and retain some salary, and then sign some players you might really want as UFA and not give up any assets.
    Stamkos, Ladd, Demers, Yandle. Would you want Nielsen and Okposo to return?

I think Andersen as a goalie is a better option than most other goalies we'll get next off season. He has playoff experience, is young, and will look for a team where he could stay competitive. That's the Islanders. Sure, we'll have to compete with Calgary/Carolina for him, but come on, which team would you rather play for? I can't think of any considerably better teams looking for a goaltender than the Islanders.

I'll admit I'm a little iffy on the Callahan contract, but KO wants more than we can feasibly give him 6 mil AAV over 7 yrs is likely what he's asking for, and that's just too high of a price for us. I'd rather take Callahan at a lower price at that point.

I think Grabovski and Kulemin do have value as players, but Grabo is too overpaid to move. No one's going to eat up that contract for us. Kulie is possibly movable, but between him and Bailey, Bailey is WAY more movable. His contract makes sense for his role on a hockey team.

As for signing Stamkos, Ladd, etc., we would have to dump A LOT of salary to do any of that. That would likely mean Halak, Grabo (but no one will take him...), Bailey and/or Kulemin. Sure, I'd rather have Stamkos than Callahan, but as long as Yzerman can move someone to make room for Stamkos, he will likely do just that. We might as well take advantage of that situation and get a good forward to replace KO while we can get him cheap.

I WANT Okposo and Nielsen to return, but Okposo wants too much money and by the looks of Cizikas' new contract, the Isles aren't going to want to spend too much more on centers alone; the Isles are already overloaded with Centers.
    Jun. 3, 2016 at 12:17 a.m.
    T. J. Brodie is one of the best (and obviously with this thread as an example) and also one of the most underrated and undervalued defensemen in the NHL today. And that contract for him is ridiculously valuable.

To even get a shot at Brodie you're probably looking at a couple of 1st rounders + Dal Colle and Strome.
    Jun. 3, 2016 at 12:51 p.m.
    Quoting: timetosaygoodbye
    T. J. Brodie is one of the best (and obviously with this thread as an example) and also one of the most underrated and undervalued defensemen in the NHL today. And that contract for him is ridiculously valuable.

To even get a shot at Brodie you're probably looking at a couple of 1st rounders + Dal Colle and Strome.

T.J. Brodie is not worth 4 first round picks. Dal Colle and Strome were both 5th overall picks, and while I think the Isles should seriously look into trading away our unneeded 1st round picks, that is a ridiculous demand for Brodie. If I was Garth Snow and Calgary said they needed more from NYI's end on that trade, I would've kept the offer as it was but added in our 1st overall. Calgary gets a fantastic defensive prospect, a stats friendly defensman, the solution to their goalie issues, next year's 2nd rounder and this year's 1st rounder. That deal would be tilted in Calgary's favor, but would be worth it for both sides.

But T.J. Brodie for an effective 4 first round picks? That's just crazy. I don't care how good his contract is, I don't care how underrated he is, 4 first round picks is a ridiculous asking price.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll