$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$950,000$950,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$842,500$842,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RD
UFA
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RD
RFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$850,000$850,000
LD
UFA - 1
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 2, 2019 at 9:48 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Don't see why the Caps would would want to take on so more "net cap". One reason I haven't seen any good Zaitsev trades Trying to trade such long term cap is difficult and Zaitsev is isn't overpaid by that much....it's the term. The other problem is getting a RHD to take Zaitsev's place on the roster, without making the Leafs weaker next year. IMO the wrong guys are being traded for cap relief in many posts.
Mar. 2, 2019 at 9:53 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
Don't see why the Caps would would want to take on so more "net cap". One reason I haven't seen any good Zaitsev trades Trying to trade such long term cap is difficult and Zaitsev is isn't overpaid by that much....it's the term. The other problem is getting a RHD to take Zaitsev's place on the roster, without making the Leafs weaker next year. IMO the wrong guys are being traded for cap relief in many posts.

*Wings* and I agree.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Mar. 2, 2019 at 9:55 p.m.
Edited Mar. 2, 2019 at 10:09 p.m.
As a Detroit fan I say no. Detroit is rebuilding and Zaitsev's contract is too long and expensive. Plus he's 27 and just a bit to old to fit in to Detroit's rebuild plans. Detroit already has a log jam of defensemen and if Detroit moves a defenseman I hope they wouldn't bring in another defenseman. IMO Zaitsev is barely worth his $4.5M cap hit this year and I don't see that getting better as he gets older.

Now if you want Bowey I don't see Detroit being to attached to him, plus it would open up a spot for one of our rookies. If your just trying to Zaitsev then Detroit isn't the right team for that.
Mar. 2, 2019 at 10:21 p.m.
You're missing Holl and Rosen, better and cheaper options than resigning Marcinin. Look at Reinhart's bridge contract if you wanna keep Kappy and Johnsson for 2 seasons.
OldNYIfan and aedoran liked this.
Mar. 3, 2019 at 12:07 a.m.
Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
You're missing Holl and Rosen, better and cheaper options than resigning Marcinin. Look at Reinhart's bridge contract if you wanna keep Kappy and Johnsson for 2 seasons.

I don’t think Holl gets resigned he’s to old (27) by next year and I understand Babcock needs to play him but besides that NYI game he looked bad when he did play. And you can just insert who you want for the league min contracts from the Marlies I expect 2-4 Marlies to be in the lineup full time next season
Mar. 3, 2019 at 12:11 a.m.
Quoting: F50marco
*Wings* and I agree.

I would normally agee with this I think it has to be one of Johnsson or Kap will be traded before July 1st and Zaitsev will need to go at some point before the cap limit gets enforced by the normal season gets put in. The wings were just a placeholder it could be anyone of similar skill.
Mar. 3, 2019 at 12:34 a.m.
Quoting: DocArin0
I don’t think Holl gets resigned he’s to old (27) by next year and I understand Babcock needs to play him but besides that NYI game he looked bad when he did play. And you can just insert who you want for the league min contracts from the Marlies I expect 2-4 Marlies to be in the lineup full time next season

Holl and Rosen are already under contract for next season, hence I mentioned their names.
aedoran and palhal liked this.
Mar. 3, 2019 at 3:00 a.m.
Neither Brown or Zaitsev are worth a second round pick, including Brown would be the part to try to get the wings to take Zaitsev. So Detroit would say no.

Bowey and Ozhiganov are 6/7 Dmen and they should not be playing in the first and second pair. Liljegren is at least another year away from being ready.
Mar. 3, 2019 at 3:46 a.m.
Quoting: ACLeafs
Neither Brown or Zaitsev are worth a second round pick, including Brown would be the part to try to get the wings to take Zaitsev. So Detroit would say no.

Bowey and Ozhiganov are 6/7 Dmen and they should not be playing in the first and second pair. Liljegren is at least another year away from being ready.

I am not sure how close you actually follow the Marlies but being at 10-15 of their games this year plus what Dubas has said he expects Lilgren to play a couple games this year only reason he has not is he has been injured. I fully expect Liljegren to make the Leafs out of camp next year if not be on the team full time but december. as for the Dcore you give me 2 names you can legit slide into the Top 4 of a RHD you can actually afford this year and I’m concede. As for the DET Trade it’s more of a placeholder then anything you can insert any team that’s just the base deal in theory. I expect the leafs to retain 1m on the Zaitsev contract if and when they do trade him
Mar. 3, 2019 at 8:26 a.m.
In Pridham we trust

Going forward, this team will have a back end with 6 guys that can move the puck quickly, and get the puck on the sticks of our skilled fwds.
This is why guys like Liljegren, Sandin, Durzi keep getting targeted at the top of the draft.
Zaitsev and Hainsey in our top 4 doesn't fit this mold. Babcock obviously likes them both, but he's not running the team. Dubas inherited these guys, and I would be pretty shocked if he wasn't working fairly hard to move out the Zaitsev contract.
Mar. 3, 2019 at 8:29 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em

I agree with thought your on Reinharts 3.625m bridge. And that's what he got for being a 3 year veteran and going 25/25...50 points last year. Leafs management seems to like paying thier own RFAs premium prices. Gotta believe the Leafs are depending on Rosen next year. Holl, Marincin and Ozhiganov are being depended uponthis year. Tough to do play well when you have sat so long. But it's up to them to perform in the absence of Dermot and Gardiner.
Mar. 3, 2019 at 8:43 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Barilko14
Going forward, this team will have a back end with 6 guys that can move the puck quickly, and get the puck on the sticks of our skilled fwds.
This is why guys like Liljegren, Sandin, Durzi keep getting targeted at the top of the draft.
Zaitsev and Hainsey in our top 4 doesn't fit this mold. Babcock obviously likes them both, but he's not running the team. Dubas inherited these guys, and I would be pretty shocked if he wasn't working fairly hard to move out the Zaitsev contract.

I feel there are is way too much emphasize. on "top four". Fact is your 5th and 6th Dmen still play important minutes often 5 on 5. When you have those guys on the ice for 12 minute a game each, they better be NHL competent. Then in case of injury, the 7th and maybe your 8th guys better be NHL competent good.
The fact that Muzzin was acquired indicates to me that Leafs think they need some heaviness.
Agree with you that Leaf will work to move Zaitsev, I just think it's not likely , too much money/term for other teams to accept and still the uncertainty who can Zaitsev minutes next year.
Next year, the Leafs defence should be OK. Reilly, Dermot, Muzzin, Rosen IMO Zaitsev and Ozhignov. that's 6, Holl makes 7. Depending on the cap, maybe they get a short term veteran help . Even if Sandin and Liljgren and aren't Leafs till 2020/21, it's not like the Leafs are "desperate"
aedoran and blowing_the_zone liked this.
Mar. 3, 2019 at 9:36 a.m.
I feel there are is way too much emphasize. on "top four". Fact is your 5th and 6th Dmen still play important minutes often 5 on 5. When you have those guys on the ice for 12 minute a game each, they better be NHL competent. Then in case of injury, the 7th and maybe your 8th guys better be NHL competent good.
The fact that Muzzin was acquired indicates to me that Leafs think they need some heaviness.
Agree with you that Leaf will work to move Zaitsev, I just think it's not likely , too much money/term for other teams to accept and still the uncertainty who can Zaitsev minutes next year.
Next year, the Leafs defence should be OK. Reilly, Dermot, Muzzin, Rosen IMO Zaitsev and Ozhignov. that's 6, Holl makes 7. Depending on the cap, maybe they get a short term veteran help . Even if Sandin and Liljgren and aren't Leafs till 2020/21, it's not like the Leafs are "desperate"

You say that but you forget Dion Phaneuf was traded not once but twice.
Mar. 3, 2019 at 10:32 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
You say that but you forget Dion Phaneuf was traded not once but twice.

True but look at the trades. Leafs took on cap hit for Greening and Michalek which equal to Phaneuf contracts at least short term. Then in the LA trade the Sens retained salary of Phaneuf and took on the 4.8m salary of a ineffective Gaborik.
So in both case,s it was relatively cap equal. As I suggest, I have yet to see one Zaitsev trade that makes sense for the Leafs or their trading partner.
Mar. 3, 2019 at 11:13 a.m.

Gards and Hainsey are almost certainly gone next year. If Z goes too, that's half the dcore that gets turned over from season to season. Thats alot of change to absorb and could be rather disruptive..

With the latest rumours of Marner's contract demands, I'm thinking you're right Pal.. if Marleau doesn't retire, then it might make the most sense to move a Kadri or Nylander and reshuffle and rebalance the roster.

Hate to trade Kadri... but the leafs rfa contracts, both in place and up and coming, are proving to be problematic ..
Mar. 3, 2019 at 11:17 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: blowing_the_zone
Gards and Hainsey are almost certainly gone next year. If Z goes too, that's half the dcore that gets turned over from season to season. Thats alot of change to absorb and could be rather disruptive..

With the latest rumours of Marner's contract demands, I'm thinking you're right Pal.. if Marleau doesn't retire, then it might make the most sense to move a Kadri or Nylander and reshuffle and rebalance the roster.

Hate to trade Kadri... but the leafs rfa contracts, both in place and up and coming, are proving to be problematic ..

Assuming the Leafs sign Marner, Kapanen and Johnsson, and keep those guys....it's 10m that has to be moved. Those are my numbers.
Mar. 3, 2019 at 11:30 a.m.
Assuming the Leafs sign Marner, Kapanen and Johnsson, and keep those guys....it's 10m that has to be moved. Those are my numbers.

Yeah, I think that 10M can come down a bit, but point taken. End of the day I'd rather both Kappy and Johnsson in place instead of losing those 2 to accomodate an insane rfa contract request and then needing fill out the roster with 4/5/6??? elcs or close to league minimums..

Im hoping for Marleau retirement, a brown for a 3rd and a Hyman for a 2nd.. and maybe that's close. I dunno?

There are so many unknowns right now i find its almost futile to make projections
Mar. 3, 2019 at 11:34 a.m.
In Pridham we trust
Edited Mar. 3, 2019 at 11:45 a.m.

I would be perfectly fine with Zaitsev being our 6th dman, playing with Rosen for awhile, then maybe Sandin once he's ready, he just makes too much $$ to fill that role.

I think the Muzzin acquisition is a definite sign the Leafs want to be a heavier team. The rumoured interest in Kreider & Simmonds also supports this theory. I think Dubas will be targeting heavier players that also consistently move the puck in the right direction, but he can only do so much with the upcoming cap difficulties, so it may be a slow process.

The real reason I think Zaitsev will be moved this off-season is I'm hoping Dubas proves to be an "outside the box" thinker, and moves guys that don't truly fit the plan going forward (especially guys making $4.5m and playing 20 min), and in Kadri's case moves guys before their value begins to diminish.

Maybe we can pull off a Subban for Weber trade, with us getting the "Subban".
Mar. 3, 2019 at 11:42 a.m.
Quoting: blowing_the_zone
Yeah, I think that 10M can come down a bit, but point taken. End of the day I'd rather both Kappy and Johnsson in place instead of losing those 2 to accomodate an insane rfa contract request and then needing fill out the roster with 4/5/6??? elcs or close to league minimums..

Im hoping for Marleau retirement, a brown for a 3rd and a Hyman for a 2nd.. and maybe that's close. I dunno?

There are so many unknowns right now i find its almost futile to make projections

Marlaeu retirement does nothing he’s on a 35+ contract his retirement gives no cap relief
Mar. 3, 2019 at 12:07 p.m.
Marlaeu retirement does nothing he’s on a 35+ contract his retirement gives no cap relief

If he retires after July 1st, his contract can be traded. That would do alot... however, that would entirely be his choice.
Mar. 3, 2019 at 2:32 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer

Red Wings traded 7m retired Datsyuk for not much. It's really probably not a problem at all.
aedoran liked this.
Mar. 3, 2019 at 5:16 p.m.
Red Wings traded 7m retired Datsyuk for not much. It's really probably not a problem at all.

Traded datsyuks contract that has insurance to PHX so they could keep hitting the cap floor without spending anything pretty specific situation there. Marleau’s contract to my knowledge is not. only reasonable option if you want to move Marleau IMO is you trade him the team buys him out and he resigns for 1m with the leafs
Mar. 3, 2019 at 6:27 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Traded datsyuks contract that has insurance to PHX so they could keep hitting the cap floor without spending anything pretty specific situation there. Marleau’s contract to my knowledge is not. only reasonable option if you want to move Marleau IMO is you trade him the team buys him out and he resigns for 1m with the leafs

That's not right at all. No need for the contract was insured, it wasn't LTIR. It was a retirement. And really this cap floor is nonsense. Arizona has cap room between the cap floor and the max. Sorry if don't understand the front loading of Marleau contract. Leafs pay Marleau his bonus July 1st and he retires July 2. His CAP is traded. Marleau loses 1.5m by not playing. Has nothing to do with the Leafs resigning him. Admitting the scenario is Marleau wants to retire, but don't make it so complicated.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll