SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

OTT & LAK Fans - Does This Make Sense?

Apr. 19, 2018 at 3:37 p.m.
Quoting: Daryl
Nope, and I don't think Doughty would be what pushes them over the top. Therefore this trade wouldn't make sense for both parties. If Ottawa is going to move Karlsson it would be in their best interest to do it for a package of picks and prospects.

versus seeing what bringing Doughty in does for the team and at worst trading him for a package of picks and prospects if it doesn't work.
Apr. 19, 2018 at 3:40 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Quoting: ON3M4N
versus seeing what bringing Doughty in does for the team and at worst trading him for a package of picks and prospects if it doesn't work.

The question you asked was: does this make sense? To me the addition of either of these players to either of these teams doesn't put them in a spot to win a cup. So to me this doesn't make sense and a package of picks and prospects would be better.
Apr. 19, 2018 at 3:45 p.m.
The question you asked was: does this make sense? To me the addition of either of these players to either of these teams doesn't put them in a spot to win a cup. So to me this doesn't make sense and a package of picks and prospects would be better.

But at worst in the end you still get picks and prospects lol
Apr. 19, 2018 at 3:47 p.m.
get ur corsi up
But at worst in the end you still get picks and prospects lol

With screwed up lottery odds and the reputation as a team that can't hold a star player.
Apr. 19, 2018 at 3:56 p.m.
With screwed up lottery odds and the reputation as a team that can't hold a star player.

LOL can't hurt those lottery odds. Peoples infatuation with hoping that a draft pick will save your franchise is funny to me. BTW the star player comment is irrelevant because trading Karlsson for picks and prospects signals the same exact thing lol
Apr. 19, 2018 at 4:03 p.m.
get ur corsi up
LOL can't hurt those lottery odds. Peoples infatuation with hoping that a draft pick will save your franchise is funny to me. BTW the star player comment is irrelevant because trading Karlsson for picks and prospects signals the same exact thing lol

It's common sense. Higher draft pick = better prospect. The reputation would occur because they would have traded both Karlsson and Doughty in a span of one year.
Apr. 19, 2018 at 4:16 p.m.
It's common sense. Higher draft pick = better prospect. The reputation would occur because they would have traded both Karlsson and Doughty in a span of one year.

Interesting....Johnny Hockey was a 4th round and turned out to be a good prospects. Mark Stone 6th rounder and ranks 10th in scoring for his draft class. Jamie Benn was a 5th rounder and he turned out to be a pretty good one. See good talent is found all over the draft.

Zach Hamill was drafted 8th overall...played 20 games in the NHL
Kyle Beach was drafted 11th overall....never played in the NHL
Scott Glennie was drafted 9th overall....played 1 game in the NHL
Jack Campbell was drafted 11th overall...played 7 games in the NHL
Duncan Siemens was drafted 11th overall...played 20 games in the NHL
Griffin Reinhart was drafted 4th overall...played 37 games in the NHL

Just because a draft picks is higher doesn't mean you'll hit. The chance of hitting might be higher, but still nothing is a guarantee
Apr. 19, 2018 at 4:40 p.m.
Below Market Value
I'll avoid the banter and answer the question that was posed in the title:

No it does not make sense.
rangersandislesfan liked this.
Apr. 19, 2018 at 4:43 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Interesting....Johnny Hockey was a 4th round and turned out to be a good prospects. Mark Stone 6th rounder and ranks 10th in scoring for his draft class. Jamie Benn was a 5th rounder and he turned out to be a pretty good one. See good talent is found all over the draft.

Zach Hamill was drafted 8th overall...played 20 games in the NHL
Kyle Beach was drafted 11th overall....never played in the NHL
Scott Glennie was drafted 9th overall....played 1 game in the NHL
Jack Campbell was drafted 11th overall...played 7 games in the NHL
Duncan Siemens was drafted 11th overall...played 20 games in the NHL
Griffin Reinhart was drafted 4th overall...played 37 games in the NHL

Just because a draft picks is higher doesn't mean you'll hit. The chance of hitting might be higher, but still nothing is a guarantee

Well let's take a peak at some players drafted in the first round (excluding top three picks):

Carey Price, Kyle Okposo, Derick Brassard, Phil Kessel, Nicklas Backstrom, Jakub Voracek, Logan Couture, Alex Pietranglo, Josh Bailey, Evander Kane, Brayden Schenn, OEL, Nazem Kadri, Ryan Johansen, Nino Niedeireter, Jeff Skinner, Mikael Granlund, Mika Zibanejad, Mark Scheifele, Sean Couturier, Dougie Hamilton, Jonas Brodin, Morgan Rielly, Hampus Lindholm, Matt Dumba, Jacob Trouba, Seth Jones, Elias Lindholm, Sean Monahan, Darnell Nurse, Rasmus Ristolainen, Bo Horvat, William Nylander, Nikolaj Ehlers, Mitch Marner, Noah Hanifin, Ivan Provorov, Zach Werenski, Mikko Rantanen, Matthew Tkachuk, Mikhail Sergachev, Clayton Keller, etc.

Yes star players can come from the later rounds but teams are getting better and better at drafting, and the big name players are coming out of the first 30 picks most of the time. The draft is the key to building a successful roster. Just look at your Bruins, you guys had a couple bad years where you missed the playoffs and now look at all the depth you have because of those high draft picks.
Apr. 19, 2018 at 4:55 p.m.
Well let's take a peak at some players drafted in the first round (excluding top three picks):

Carey Price, Kyle Okposo, Derick Brassard, Phil Kessel, Nicklas Backstrom, Jakub Voracek, Logan Couture, Alex Pietranglo, Josh Bailey, Evander Kane, Brayden Schenn, OEL, Nazem Kadri, Ryan Johansen, Nino Niedeireter, Jeff Skinner, Mikael Granlund, Mika Zibanejad, Mark Scheifele, Sean Couturier, Dougie Hamilton, Jonas Brodin, Morgan Rielly, Hampus Lindholm, Matt Dumba, Jacob Trouba, Seth Jones, Elias Lindholm, Sean Monahan, Darnell Nurse, Rasmus Ristolainen, Bo Horvat, William Nylander, Nikolaj Ehlers, Mitch Marner, Noah Hanifin, Ivan Provorov, Zach Werenski, Mikko Rantanen, Matthew Tkachuk, Mikhail Sergachev, Clayton Keller, etc.

Yes star players can come from the later rounds but teams are getting better and better at drafting, and the big name players are coming out of the first 30 picks most of the time. The draft is the key to building a successful roster. Just look at your Bruins, you guys had a couple bad years where you missed the playoffs and now look at all the depth you have because of those high draft picks.

I wont get into when B's prospect were draft because I don't want to turn this into a B's thread (that's frowned about around here). I will say the probability of draft a star player increases with the higher the pick, but the higher the pick doesn't automatically = a better prospects
Apr. 19, 2018 at 4:58 p.m.
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast
I'll avoid the banter and answer the question that was posed in the title:

No it does not make sense.

Ok why?

BTW I don't see any banter in here. Banter would consist of exchanging teasing remarks...All I see is a discussion happening with people expressing viewpoints from either side.
Apr. 19, 2018 at 6:29 p.m.
if both teams look like they aren't going to resign their players, a trade is very likely especially by the senators. which player would get more at tdl would decide if the trade you proposed made sense for one team.
doughty close to hometown in Ottawa. no Detroit is closer, buffalo is closer, Toronto is closer and maybe montreal.
Apr. 20, 2018 at 6:39 a.m.
Quoting: clark
if both teams look like they aren't going to resign their players, a trade is very likely especially by the senators. which player would get more at tdl would decide if the trade you proposed made sense for one team.
doughty close to hometown in Ottawa. no Detroit is closer, buffalo is closer, Toronto is closer and maybe montreal.

Never said he was OTT was the closest, but it is close to his hometown.
Apr. 20, 2018 at 10:19 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
IF they are traded ... if ... then they'd be traded to other teams. Karlsson with Ottawa and Doughty with LA are more likely to work out than vice versa. I still don't see why either team would just swap superstars in the same position who shoot the same way.
Apr. 20, 2018 at 1:29 p.m.
Below Market Value
I feel like Karlsson in LA would work better than Doughty in OTT, from a stylistic standpoint. LA has historically been a low-scoring team and they don't have a lot of offensive firepower. Karlsson is a machine when it comes to driving offense and could help create from the back end better than Doughty. Playing in the LA system would also greatly improve his defensive work and turn him into the consensus best all-around defenseman in the game.

I don't see how Doughty in OTT would make them a better team, however, especially if they keep Boucher. His coaching style heavily favors a trap style of play, and losing the most offensive defenseman in the game certainly wouldn't help their goal totals. Their goaltending is abysmal, however, so Doughty would be better at preventing scoring opportunities than Karlsson and would take pressure off the goaltenders.
ON3M4N liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll