SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Who is IN and who is OUT?

Feb. 2, 2018 at 2:21 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Which NHL teams have no chance at the playoffs and which teams have no chance at missing the playoffs. For me, the teams who are in for sure are:
Tampa Bay, Washington, Winnipeg, Boston, Nashville and Toronto
Out:
Arizona, Ottawa, Buffalo, Detroit, Florida, Montreal, Vancouver

I put Toronto in because i have 5 teams out in their division, so that means they're in.
Feb. 2, 2018 at 2:30 p.m.
Edited Feb. 2, 2018 at 2:43 p.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Which NHL teams have no chance at the playoffs and which teams have no chance at missing the playoffs. For me, the teams who are in for sure are:
Tampa Bay, Washington, Winnipeg, Boston, Nashville and Toronto
Out:
Arizona, Ottawa, Buffalo, Detroit, Florida, Montreal, Vancouver

I put Toronto in because i have 5 teams out in their division, so that means they're in.

I'd say we're close to being able to call Edmonton out too. They're 12 points back of a Wild Card spot with only 32 games left. They'd have to pass 5 different teams in those 32 games as well.

Toronto is a lock. They have 17 points on the 4th place team in the Atlantic. The Atlantic is laughably weak this year... they do have two of the best teams in Boston and Tampa, but the drop off from the top 3 to the bottom 5 is insane.
Feb. 2, 2018 at 2:54 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: mtdavis311
I'd say we're close to being able to call Edmonton out too. They're 12 points back of a Wild Card spot with only 32 games left. They'd have to pass 5 different teams in those 32 games as well.

Toronto is a lock. They have 17 points on the 4th place team in the Atlantic. The Atlantic is laughably weak this year... they do have two of the best teams in Boston and Tampa, but the drop off from the top 3 to the bottom 5 is insane.

I think Edmonton's pretty close to out but i'm not gonna go there quite yet. I don't think they'll make the playoffs this year but i still think they have a chance. With the guys they have, they could get 48 more points (what they currently have) which would put them at 96. I think that would be a playoff team. I think they miss the playoffs at this point but they still have a chance.
Feb. 2, 2018 at 3:36 p.m.
Below Market Value
IN: Vegas, Winnipeg, Nashville, Tampa Bay, Boston, Toronto, Washington

OUT: Arizona, Vancouver, Edmonton, Buffalo, Ottawa, Montreal, Detroit, Florida
Feb. 2, 2018 at 3:57 p.m.
In: Boston, Nashville, Tampa Bay, Toronto, Vegas, Washington, Winnipeg
Out: Arizona, Buffalo, Detroit, Edmonton, Montreal, Florida, Ottawa, Vancouver

[EDIT: Same as DoctorBreakfast]
Feb. 2, 2018 at 3:58 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
In: Tampa, Boston, Toronto, Washington, Vegas, Winnipeg, Nashville
Out: Arizona, Buffalo, Ottawa, Edmonton, Florida, Vancouver, Detroit, Montreal
Feb. 2, 2018 at 4:06 p.m.
No one willing to put a nail in the Blackhawks eh?

I certainly will. 5 points out, too many teams to jump, too tough of a division to win enough games to do it.

I agree with everyone else on the rest.
Rangsey liked this.
Feb. 2, 2018 at 4:22 p.m.
Quoting: tadhockey
No one willing to put a nail in the Blackhawks eh?

I certainly will. 5 points out, too many teams to jump, too tough of a division to win enough games to do it.

I agree with everyone else on the rest.

Im with you. But at the same time, if you had to pick a team out of all the "outs" to suddenly go on a tear, flip the switch, go on that Cinderella run and sprint into the post season. I'd probably tip the Blackhawks.
Feb. 2, 2018 at 4:31 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
How are the Hawks guaranteed out? It'll be tricky but they're only 5 points out.
Feb. 2, 2018 at 5:18 p.m.
How are the Hawks guaranteed out? It'll be tricky but they're only 5 points out.

" too many teams to jump, too tough of a division to win enough games to do it." They're schedule for the second last 33 games is brutal. Most of them are against contenders
Feb. 2, 2018 at 5:27 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Jimmybooboo
" too many teams to jump, too tough of a division to win enough games to do it." They're schedule for the second last 33 games is brutal. Most of them are against contenders

Still though, 5 points out. You have to still give them a chance.
Feb. 2, 2018 at 5:28 p.m.
Still though, 5 points out. You have to still give them a chance.

Nope. Wanna bet a dollar on it?
Feb. 2, 2018 at 5:32 p.m.
Vegas is a <99% chance to make the playoffs
mhockey91 liked this.
Feb. 2, 2018 at 6:07 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Nope. Wanna bet a dollar on it?

I'm not saying i think they'll make it, i'm just giving them a chance.
Feb. 2, 2018 at 6:56 p.m.
I'm not saying i think they'll make it, i'm just giving them a chance.

Nobody has been mathematically eliminated yet. So everyone's got a chance. Looking at how Chicago has played and their upcoming schedule I think they're a very slim chance to make it. As a result I'm throwing them in the same boat with Buffalo Montreal Vancouver etc.
Feb. 2, 2018 at 7:04 p.m.
Nobody has been mathematically eliminated yet. So everyone's got a chance. Looking at how Chicago has played and their upcoming schedule I think they're a very slim chance to make it. As a result I'm throwing them in the same boat with Buffalo Montreal Vancouver etc.

No one has been mathematically eliminated... But let's say the playoff line is 97 points... about average. Buffalo would have to go 30-1-0 over their last 31 to hit 97 points.

Arizona, at most, can get to 95 if they win every game left on their schedule.

Chicago would need 42 points, so 21 of 31 left. Its not likely, but its better than the boat Buffalo and Arizona are in
Feb. 2, 2018 at 7:08 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
No one has been mathematically eliminated... But let's say the playoff line is 97 points... about average. Buffalo would have to go 30-1-0 over their last 31 to hit 97 points.

Arizona, at most, can get to 95 if they win every game left on their schedule.

Chicago would need 42 points, so 21 of 31 left. Its not likely, but its better than the boat Buffalo and Arizona are in

It's usually lower than 97. Arizona would still likely make in with 95, but there's no way they win every game left on their schedule obviously. I agree that Chicago is way more likely to get in the Arizona or Buffalo.
Feb. 2, 2018 at 7:37 p.m.
It's usually lower than 97. Arizona would still likely make in with 95, but there's no way they win every game left on their schedule obviously. I agree that Chicago is way more likely to get in the Arizona or Buffalo.

I think you'll see some low to mid 90 point teams missing the playoffs this year. The middle of the pack is pretty tight.
Feb. 2, 2018 at 8:54 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
I think you'll see some low to mid 90 point teams missing the playoffs this year. The middle of the pack is pretty tight.

I think this year 92-94 could be the number than gets you in the playoffs.
Feb. 3, 2018 at 4:52 p.m.
Vegas to me is in. Not only do I think they are in... but I think they have a VERY VERY VERY good shot at winning their division unless they choke the last little bit which I don’t think is likely. 10 points up on 2nd place and they’ve showed no signs of slowing down
Feb. 3, 2018 at 5:19 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: mhockey91
Vegas to me is in. Not only do I think they are in... but I think they have a VERY VERY VERY good shot at winning their division unless they choke the last little bit which I don’t think is likely. 10 points up on 2nd place and they’ve showed no signs of slowing down

How do you think Vegas will do in the playoffs if they make it? To me, it really depends who they play.
Feb. 3, 2018 at 5:25 p.m.
How do you think Vegas will do in the playoffs if they make it? To me, it really depends who they play.

Out first round.... still, what they accomplished this season is remarkable
Feb. 3, 2018 at 5:28 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: mhockey91
Out first round.... still, what they accomplished this season is remarkable

I think they could go to round two, but it really depends who they have to play against.
Feb. 3, 2018 at 5:57 p.m.
Habs

They have a luxury of playing in a weak division. A first round matchup against a beatable Avalanche team is very possible, and then in round two, they could get a team like the Flames, Sharks or Kings. (if they got the Ducks, I believe it would spell doom, however.) Say they get through the Avs and Sharks, then face a Jets or Preds team, that's been beaten into the ground by someone among the Stars, Wild, Blues, and/or each other. It isn't out ofmthe question the miracle in Sin City lasts till June.
mhockey91 liked this.
Feb. 4, 2018 at 3:12 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: OpaqueZoo
They have a luxury of playing in a weak division. A first round matchup against a beatable Avalanche team is very possible, and then in round two, they could get a team like the Flames, Sharks or Kings. (if they got the Ducks, I believe it would spell doom, however.) Say they get through the Avs and Sharks, then face a Jets or Preds team, that's been beaten into the ground by someone among the Stars, Wild, Blues, and/or each other. It isn't out ofmthe question the miracle in Sin City lasts till June.

Are you saying the Kings wouldn't be as hard to beat? The Kings are one of the teams who could take them out in the playoffs.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll