SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

Only Need to fix lines, no big trades (Except JVR)

Created by: budsallday
Team: 2017-18 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 18, 2018
Published: Jan. 18, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Toronto has good players in their system, I think we can be a deadly threat as long as we change up the lines to something that works.

JVR needs to be traded at the deadline because he will bring in a haul and we are not going to afford to resign him. Toronto will most likely not be able to get past the 1st round in the playoffs so its a waste keeping him. Trade him and bring him a good prospect/pick.
Trades
TOR
  1. 2018 6th round pick (NSH)
TOR
  1. Sprong, Daniel
  2. 2018 2nd round pick (PIT)
PIT
  1. van Riemsdyk, James
Additional Details:
($2,500,000 Salary Retained)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$75,000,000$64,655,832$5,370,000$5,525,000$10,344,168
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 2
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
UFA - 5
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 1
$612,500$612,500
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$4,200,000$4,200,000
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$2,950,000$2,950,000
RW, LW, C
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
C
UFA - 1
$736,666$736,666 (Performance Bonus$125,000$125K)
RW
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333
RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 5
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 7
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$4,050,000$4,050,000
LD
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
G
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 18, 2018 at 8:12 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Toronto will most likely not be able to get past the 1st round in the playoffs. Thanks for the reality. Not sure if the Leafs should should be sellers, but agree they shouldn't be buyers.
Jan. 18, 2018 at 8:30 a.m.
I'm not sure if Toronto will buy or sell, and it could even be a bit of both. But if they do sell why not trade Bozak and Komarov instead of (or as well as) JVR? If any of those guys stays long term, I would expect that it's VanRiemsdyk.

Plus I don't think your lines are any better than Babcock's, to be honest.
Jan. 18, 2018 at 9:27 a.m.
Depending on the matchup the Leafs can get to the 2nd round. If they go head to head with BB's they can can beat them. I've said it before I don't get the negativity surrounding this team... every team goes through slumps where they can't score. Leafs have over a 10 point cushion on the next Atlantic team so barring any major collapse they'll make the playoffs and then anything can happen.

As for the trade... no... why would the Leafs trade for another RW when they have so many in the system already? Plus that isn't a good enough return for a JVR. Maybe Bozak but not JVR.

The lines are arguably worse then now. Martin has grown on me (still not worth his contract but fine...) and you called up Kapanen to sit in the pressbox??? K...
Jan. 18, 2018 at 9:32 a.m.
Quoting: palhal
Toronto will most likely not be able to get past the 1st round in the playoffs. Thanks for the reality. Not sure if the Leafs should should be sellers, but agree they shouldn't be buyers.

Why can't they get passed the 1st round? Other then Tampa, who in the Atlantic can beat them in the playoffs? In the 2nd round say the Rangers beat TBL, are you afraid of the Rangers? NYI? NJD?

I think depending on the matchups the Leafs can get to the ECF. Any team that makes the playoffs has a chance to win. Leafs can be that team.
Jan. 18, 2018 at 12:11 p.m.
I agree that the Leafs most likely don't get far and shouldn't be buyers, if they are going to sell, then actually sell.
JVR is worth more than sprong and a 2nd, and the opportunity exists with Pittsburg to get a bigger deal including Bozak. I'm sure they'd love to dump Hagelin who would instantly be the best defensive player the Leafs had...
Jan. 18, 2018 at 1:15 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: DJSums17
Why can't they get passed the 1st round? Other then Tampa, who in the Atlantic can beat them in the playoffs? In the 2nd round say the Rangers beat TBL, are you afraid of the Rangers? NYI? NJD?

I think depending on the matchups the Leafs can get to the ECF. Any team that makes the playoffs has a chance to win. Leafs can be that team.

Leafs (in they make the playoffs), please Boston in the first round. 2nd versus 3rd. Do you really think the way the Leafs are could ever beat Boston this year or Tampa right now? I don't
Jan. 18, 2018 at 1:16 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Goulet
I agree that the Leafs most likely don't get far and shouldn't be buyers, if they are going to sell, then actually sell.
JVR is worth more than sprong and a 2nd, and the opportunity exists with Pittsburg to get a bigger deal including Bozak. I'm sure they'd love to dump Hagelin who would instantly be the best defensive player the Leafs had...

Just because a fellow doesn't score doesn't make him a good defensive forward. Leafs aren't paying Hagelin 4m for what he brings.
Jan. 18, 2018 at 2:12 p.m.
Leafs (in they make the playoffs), please Boston in the first round. 2nd versus 3rd. Do you really think the way the Leafs are could ever beat Boston this year or Tampa right now? I don't

I think the Leafs would put up a fight against Boston, same against any team in the East. Not saying they'd sweep them obviously but I can see the Leafs beating the Bruins, 7 against the Bolts for sure. The Metro is damn tough but not unbeatable. We took the presidents trophy Caps to 5 OT games, 6 OT periods total in a 6 game series. Who btw were the cup favourites and all intensive purposes should've never lost to the Pens.

Speaking of the Pens, why can't the Leafs contend?? Their blue line? Look at the Pens last year and their blue line, any team can win once in the playoffs. Leafs have one of if not THEE best offence in the league, when clicking, and we still have Steady Freddie in net. I'm not saying they will win the cup but a couple little tweaks to the lineup, a little trust to and from Babcock, and I'd say they can definitely contend.
Jan. 18, 2018 at 2:29 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I think the Leafs would put up a fight against Boston, same against any team in the East. Not saying they'd sweep them obviously but I can see the Leafs beating the Bruins, 7 against the Bolts for sure. The Metro is damn tough but not unbeatable. We took the presidents trophy Caps to 5 OT games, 6 OT periods total in a 6 game series. Who btw were the cup favourites and all intensive purposes should've never lost to the Pens.

Speaking of the Pens, why can't the Leafs contend?? Their blue line? Look at the Pens last year and their blue line, any team can win once in the playoffs. Leafs have one of if not THEE best offence in the league, when clicking, and we still have Steady Freddie in net. I'm not saying they will win the cup but a couple little tweaks to the lineup, a little trust to and from Babcock, and I'd say they can definitely contend.

I know it's only January, but the Leaf have been absolutely crappy for awhile. I know folks harp about the defence, but to me it isn't so much that but their forwards. Last year from February to April, the Leafs were beasts in the offence zone. Great puck retrieval which made it so much easier to play defence when the puck was in the offensive zone. This year I don't see that nearly as much.
You mentioned offence "when clicking". Gee we see it rarely has this season. Komarov, and the 4th line are just dead space offensively. Even Brown, Kadri and Marleau are pretty ordinary. Bozak regressed from last year which has affected Marner.
Babcock seems to have lost the feel for this team IMO. His incessant line matching, has left Matthews on bench. Not saying the Leafs can't get improve with their current group this year. Just don't think the Leafs should risk any futures this year.
Jan. 18, 2018 at 2:44 p.m.
I know it's only January, but the Leaf have been absolutely crappy for awhile. I know folks harp about the defence, but to me it isn't so much that but their forwards. Last year from February to April, the Leafs were beasts in the offence zone. Great puck retrieval which made it so much easier to play defence when the puck was in the offensive zone. This year I don't see that nearly as much.
You mentioned offence "when clicking". Gee we see it rarely has this season. Komarov, and the 4th line are just dead space offensively. Even Brown, Kadri and Marleau are pretty ordinary. Bozak regressed from last year which has affected Marner.
Babcock seems to have lost the feel for this team IMO. His incessant line matching, has left Matthews on bench. Not saying the Leafs can't get improve with their current group this year. Just don't think the Leafs should risk any futures this year.

Babcock knows what he's doing. He's trying to enstil defence into them and yes offence is taking a hit but it won't last all year. This team is building so no I wouldn't go nuts and trade like a Kapanen and 1sts for a Doughty or something like that but something small like last year when getting Boyle. I'd give up a 2nd and maybe a 3rd and a mid level prospect for a rental D. Leafs wouldn't be risking too much and still get better.
But if they think they can't contend, then they better be trading Bozak, JVR, and Leo for future assets. You can't have it both ways. You either go for it or you sell. (When rebuilding)
Jan. 18, 2018 at 3:26 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Babcock knows what he's doing. He's trying to enstil defence into them and yes offence is taking a hit but it won't last all year. This team is building so no I wouldn't go nuts and trade like a Kapanen and 1sts for a Doughty or something like that but something small like last year when getting Boyle. I'd give up a 2nd and maybe a 3rd and a mid level prospect for a rental D. Leafs wouldn't be risking too much and still get better.
But if they think they can't contend, then they better be trading Bozak, JVR, and Leo for future assets. You can't have it both ways. You either go for it or you sell. (When rebuilding)

I agree with the all you said except the last line. Just because the Leafs aren't true contenders I don't think they should sell their upcoming assets.. Part of the growth of the young Leafs is to make the playoffs and hopefully do well. To me telling the on the team "this year doesn't matter" is wrong for this year and the future.
Jan. 18, 2018 at 9:05 p.m.
I agree with the all you said except the last line. Just because the Leafs aren't true contenders I don't think they should sell their upcoming assets.. Part of the growth of the young Leafs is to make the playoffs and hopefully do well. To me telling the on the team "this year doesn't matter" is wrong for this year and the future.

Yeah I knew I shouldn't of said that line cause it'd be taken literally. I just meant they should either sell what they can or if not get a cheap asset or 2 for nothing big.

An example is if you're gonna sell trade Bozak to Pens and use JVR (and other small assets) to acquire a huge payoff. There's no reason why you should let assets walk if you're rebuilding.

If buying you trade a couple mid level picks and a couple mid tier prospects like a Leivo or Sosh or even a Carrick for someone that can stabilize or round out the top 6.
Jan. 18, 2018 at 9:30 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Yeah I knew I shouldn't of said that line cause it'd be taken literally. I just meant they should either sell what they can or if not get a cheap asset or 2 for nothing big.

An example is if you're gonna sell trade Bozak to Pens and use JVR (and other small assets) to acquire a huge payoff. There's no reason why you should let assets walk if you're rebuilding.

If buying you trade a couple mid level picks and a couple mid tier prospects like a Leivo or Sosh or even a Carrick for someone that can stabilize or round out the top 6.

So all 31 teams except maybe the top 4 that think they might might the Finals are sellers? And highly unlikely you get a huge payoff, cause teams aren't going to dismantle their teams for JVR or Bozak.
Yea I agree to be buyers if it means an upgrade over Carrick/Polak.
Jan. 18, 2018 at 11:54 p.m.
So all 31 teams except maybe the top 4 that think they might might the Finals are sellers? And highly unlikely you get a huge payoff, cause teams aren't going to dismantle their teams for JVR or Bozak.
Yea I agree to be buyers if it means an upgrade over Carrick/Polak.

No it doesn't matter which team you are. If you don't like the direction you're on you sell. Look at the Leafs in 2014-15. They were in a playoff spot, and by the draft of that year they had missed the playoffs, and burnt the team to the ground. There's enough teams in the league where you'd have buyers, sellers and teams just riding out the storm every year.

The point I was making was if this team wanted to contend (and yes I'm saying this after that **** show in Philly) they could, they just need to solidify their back end. The offence is there, their goaltender is there, just the defence has a couple holes that need to be filled.
Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-(shut down RHD not named Polak)
Dermott/Borgman-Zaitsev/Carrick
Shoot Polak into sun.
Honestly if they need to, use Zaitsev or Gardiner. They have proven they can't play together and both are top 4 guys. Trade one and hope to God the one you keep has better chemistry with the new guy. Personally id still love to get Carlson if possible. Even if it's just a year. Who knows if we can win he may stay.
But I'm still making my brain realize that won't happen.
Jan. 19, 2018 at 7:48 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
The point I was making was if this team wanted to contend (and yes I'm saying this after that **** show in Philly) they could, they just need to solidify their back end. The offence is there, their goaltender is there, just the defence has a couple of holes need to be filled.

Sorry DJ you saw a difference game than me last night. Whenever the Leafs lose, fans and non fans always scream defence. Look at the three goals against.

1. First goal RWer Marner stripped in front of the net.
2. Second goal, Leafs leading by a goal, Babcock puts 4 forward on the PP, Flyers score on PK
3. Third goal, OT, On the 4 on 4, Nylander takes the long and wrong route to cover a player.

Yep. Folks will always blame any goals on the defencemen.

Oh, and quit dreaming about a good UFA, settling for a one year contract.
Jan. 19, 2018 at 12:13 p.m.
Just because a fellow doesn't score doesn't make him a good defensive forward. Leafs aren't paying Hagelin 4m for what he brings.

I'm not suggesting they target the guy, only that salary has to come back in any deal with the pens. According to ownthepuck Hagelin is better defensively than Komarov and is perhaps better on the offensive side too .
Jan. 19, 2018 at 12:19 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I'm not suggesting they target the guy, only that salary has to come back in any deal with the pens. According to ownthepuck Hagelin is better defensively than Komarov and is perhaps better on the offensive side too .

Well Komarov, Bozak and JVR will no longer be Leaf due to cap reasons. Replaced by wingers, Johnson, Kapanen, not sure of the the centre.
Jan. 19, 2018 at 12:26 p.m.

The point I was making was if this team wanted to contend (and yes I'm saying this after that **** show in Philly) they could, they just need to solidify their back end. The offence is there, their goaltender is there, just the defence has a couple holes that need to be filled.
Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-(shut down RHD not named Polak)
Dermott/Borgman-Zaitsev/Carrick
Shoot Polak into sun.
Honestly if they need to, use Zaitsev or Gardiner. They have proven they can't play together and both are top 4 guys. Trade one and hope to God the one you keep has better chemistry with the new guy. Personally id still love to get Carlson if possible. Even if it's just a year. Who knows if we can win he may stay.
But I'm still making my brain realize that won't happen.

Rielly - _______
Gardiner - ____________
_________- Zaitsev
With these 3 players, this is how it has to be. None can play together effectively and their partners are there for support. They spread it out up front, why not do it on the backend too?
Jan. 19, 2018 at 12:27 p.m.
Well Komarov, Bozak and JVR will no longer be Leaf due to cap reasons. Replaced by wingers, Johnson, Kapanen, not sure of the the centre.

Next year, yes. This year, if those guys get dealt, there has to be salary coming back
Jan. 19, 2018 at 12:36 p.m.

My prediction is Aaltonen.
Jan. 19, 2018 at 12:37 p.m.
Rielly - _______
Gardiner - ____________
_________- Zaitsev
With these 3 players, this is how it has to be. None can play together effectively and their partners are there for support. They spread it out up front, why not do it on the backend too?

I've been saying for months.
Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Dermott
Borgman-Zaitsev
Carrick
Polak... (ugh)
Jan. 19, 2018 at 12:39 p.m.
Next year, yes. This year, if those guys get dealt, there has to be salary coming back

If Bozak is dealt, Leafs are retaining, maybe even JVR. Leo sadly isn't going anywhere. If Leafs are "showcasing" him it's backfired.
Jan. 19, 2018 at 12:45 p.m.
The point I was making was if this team wanted to contend (and yes I'm saying this after that **** show in Philly) they could, they just need to solidify their back end. The offence is there, their goaltender is there, just the defence has a couple of holes need to be filled.

Sorry DJ you saw a difference game than me last night. Whenever the Leafs lose, fans and non fans always scream defence. Look at the three goals against.

2. Second goal, Leafs leading by a goal, Babcock puts 4 forward on the PP, Flyers score on PK
3. Third goal, OT, On the 4 on 4, Nylander takes the long and wrong route to cover a player.

1st goal was on Marner yes.
2nd goal was a PK goal against but that also went the Leafs way earlier so I give those 2 goals a wash.
3rd was Nylander taking the wrong route but it was also Gardiner having a brain fart or having no communication on who to take and also Freddie should of made that save. I'm not saying the game was on Freddie but he's gotta make that save, but it shouldn't of gotten to him.

There was no single guy I blame, I blame the team as a collective.
Jan. 19, 2018 at 12:51 p.m.

Also, I never said to get a UFA to sign for 1 year. I said, the Leafs can use a guy like Carlson that's a UFA and play both ends of the ice.
Gardiner-Carlson would look good.
If the Leafs give up mid rounders and a bubble guy like Leivo and/or Sosh maybe even a Timashov or something... it's not a big deal If he walks he walks. Leafs have a ton of prospects already they can afford to lose a couple guys/prospects for a piece they can use now.
Jan. 19, 2018 at 2:17 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Also, I never said to get a UFA to sign for 1 year. I said, the Leafs can use a guy like Carlson that's a UFA and play both ends of the ice.
Gardiner-Carlson would look good.
If the Leafs give up mid rounders and a bubble guy like Leivo and/or Sosh maybe even a Timashov or something... it's not a big deal If he walks he walks. Leafs have a ton of prospects already they can afford to lose a couple guys/prospects for a piece they can use now.

With so many teams in playoff or in Cup contention, they aren't to give up UFAs very cheaply. Washington would have no chance to advance without Carlson. I can't wait for TDL to end, seems that so many folks think that one mystical player is going to advance an ordinary team to the Cup final.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll