SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2024 2025 Offseason Discussion Part 1: Kill or Be Killed

May 8 at 4:31 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Edited May 8 at 4:48 a.m.
I don't necessarily like these moves, but given what we know I feel as though its possible:

Robbie to PGH for 46 OVR
Lily + 23 OVR to CHI for Jones (2M ret) +54 OVR
Marner to FLA for Ekblad + Knight

Zadorov gets the Brodie contract (4@5)
Dewer gets a depth deal
Domi gets a lifetime contract (8@2.75)
Murray comes back as our 3G playing with the Marlies

Lines would look like:
Knies-AM-Domi
Cowen-JT-Willie
McMann-Minten-Jarnkrok
Pope-Kampf-Reavo
Dewer

Mo-Ek
Z-Jones
Benny-McCabe
Timmins

Knight
Woll

I figure in 2 years time we would need to find about 8 million to fit our new contracts under. 4-5 would come from cap increase and 3-6 would come from JT's next contract going down. We could get another 1-1.5 by Moving Kampf so this should be sustainable
May 8 at 9:53 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: fangm
What number would you take Mitch back at?

Assuming he really wants to stay in Toronto, is there a number?

Like what if he says he'd do 8x$5M?

Not a contract he'd take...

Probably something like 6-7 mill for 8 years which is like; why would he ever do that?
May 8 at 3:58 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: fangm
What number would you take Mitch back at?

Assuming he really wants to stay in Toronto, is there a number?

Like what if he says he'd do 8x$5M?

He is never ever gonna do that lul

He's gonna at least get Willy money
May 8 at 4:02 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 8 at 4:07 p.m.
Quoting: Random2152
I don't necessarily like these moves, but given what we know I feel as though its possible:

Robbie to PGH for 46 OVR
Lily + 23 OVR to CHI for Jones (2M ret) +54 OVR
Marner to FLA for Ekblad + Knight

Zadorov gets the Brodie contract (45)
Dewer gets a depth deal
Domi gets a lifetime contract (82.75)
Murray comes back as our 3G playing with the Marlies

Lines would look like:
Knies-AM-Domi
Cowen-JT-Willie
McMann-Minten-Jarnkrok
Pope-Kampf-Reavo
Dewer

Mo-Ek
Z-Jones
Benny-McCabe
Timmins

Knight
Woll

I figure in 2 years time we would need to find about 8 million to fit our new contracts under. 4-5 would come from cap increase and 3-6 would come from JT's next contract going down. We could get another 1-1.5 by Moving Kampf so this should be sustainable

Im really not a fan of Jones. Guys an analytical darling one moment to an eye test sore another.

I doubt FLA wants to trade with a divisional rival and make them better. Besides got Rein to extend

Dont know if both Cowen and Minten are ready. Maybe Cowen but Minten's maybe gonna need 1 year in the AHL

Zadorov is not a top 4 guy and paying him Brodie money when he's been a third pair guy = why

Feel should just target Dillon if we want someone who can play top 4 and who can lay people out and clear the net. He's older sure but thats a good guy to target

Like the concept but I think targets are a bit out of range/to risky
May 8 at 8:27 p.m.
Quoting: Rajvinder
Just throwing it out there that a few "insiders" I've spoken to have mentioned that they believe Mark Hunter is the leading GM candidate for both Edmonton (Holland is retiring) and Columbus.

Apparently he has recently been telling both teams that Marner would be a part of his strategy and given Marner's NMC that he feels he could get him cheap.

Pretty well known that Hunter put his job on the line to draft Mitch in Toronto and remains really close to Mitch and his family.

One person went as far as to say that the best case for Toronto might be if he goes to Columbus and they draft Sam Dickinson (London Knight) in which case Jirick and/or Mateychuck could become available in a Marner trade.

Also has someone say that they wouldn't be surprised if Hunter and Mitch worked together to hardball the Leafs including forcing Cowan into any Marner deal.

This would be really scary.

I also don't put it past Marner to do something like this and only waive if certain conditions are met.
May 9 at 10:06 a.m.
And that’s officially it for Keefe
Random2152 liked this.
May 9 at 10:34 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason

I still don't think Keefe was the problem, but he wasn't the solution either and for that reason, it's time for a change.
May 9 at 10:45 a.m.
I still don't think Keefe was the problem, but he wasn't the solution either and for that reason, it's time for a change.

I'm of a similar mindset, I don't think Keefe is a horrible coach. He was out coached most of the time but really seemed to be doing better as of late.

That being said, who will replace him? I'm not sure Berube is "right" for Toronto and he seems to be the leading candidate. If they go all out for Brind'Amour I'm worried it becomes another Babcock situation, when you actually dive into the Hurricanes the numbers would indicate a team with lots of the same issues as Toronto.

No obvious name.
May 9 at 12:07 p.m.

Yep. Every coach has a shelf life.
May 9 at 12:32 p.m.
Cowan Season
I loved Keefe and thought he was great, but they really couldn't do much more under him it looked like.

Hoping a coaching change will push them farther
May 9 at 1:01 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason

Here's my end statement on Keefe

Was he a bad coach no

Could he get it done also no

This team was great with him in the regular season but man in the playoffs through a combo of his style just not being great for playoffs and team issues I guess just couldnt get it done well at least past R2 that is.

But ironically he saw the problem yet it seems it never was either addressed or the boyz couldnt adapt

https://twitter.com/NickDeSouza_/status/1788584551104524327?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

(This was back in 2021 btw lul)

But sadly it was time, wish him the best in Pitt
May 9 at 1:22 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Posted it in the wrong thread earlier, but I've gotta say that despite all the criticisms against Keefe, I wish him the best. Classy dude who will definitely find work elsewhere.

I'm glad the Leafs are getting a new voice behind the bench, but I'll miss seeing that livid greyhaired man screaming from the bench. That little video he put together was super well said by him.

How much money you guys want to bet that he'll be the Pens assistant coach next season?
Leafsfan98 liked this.
May 9 at 1:35 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Posted it in the wrong thread earlier, but I've gotta say that despite all the criticisms against Keefe, I wish him the best. Classy dude who will definitely find work elsewhere.

I'm glad the Leafs are getting a new voice behind the bench, but I'll miss seeing that livid greyhaired man screaming from the bench. That little video he put together was super well said by him.

How much money you guys want to bet that he'll be the Pens assistant coach next season?

I'd bet against. He'll get a head coach job
May 9 at 5:35 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
I'd bet against. He'll get a head coach job

Keefe either becomes an assistant in Pitt and then the Head there once Sullivan bails

Or becomes HC or SEA or LAK
May 9 at 8:45 p.m.
Cowan Season
Knights up 5-1 in the second period. Cowan assisted on or scored all 5 goals. Crazy game from the kid
May 9 at 9:45 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: CameronSquires
Knights up 5-1 in the second period. Cowan assisted on or scored all 5 goals. Crazy game from the kid

He's the only untouchable in this org unless the offer would be insane to refuse

Like if EDM offered McDavid or Avs Makar
May 9 at 10:17 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
https://twitter.com/scottcwheeler/status/1788656916794593470?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

RIP Scott Wheeler lul

Gallants the worst choice to go for as his systems a 1 year wonder then it comes down to earth and then he's fired
May 9 at 11:07 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: aadoyle
https://twitter.com/scottcwheeler/status/1788656916794593470?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

RIP Scott Wheeler lul

Gallants the worst choice to go for as his systems a 1 year wonder then it comes down to earth and then he's fired

I said Gallant before and I'll say it again...

Even if it's only for 1 year, that's better than no years thus far
May 9 at 11:09 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Leafsfan98
I said Gallant before and I'll say it again...

Even if it's only for 1 year, that's better than no years thus far

Would just be a giant waste of time and resources for MLSE

We need a guy who can change this group and not just for a year then they come down to earth into nothingness resulting in him getting fired by year 2 and then were paying 2 coaches to be elsewhere

Gallant is basically a downgrade to Keefe
May 9 at 11:11 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Sad to see Keefe go... Thought the players liked him and he seemed like a nice guy...

He was a good coach, the issue is the players wouldn't listen...

He talked about, in the Amazon documentary in 2021, scoring 'playoff styled' goals and he was concerned about the Leafs not doing that... They did it in 2 series; Tampa, Tampa... Winning 1/2 of those series and decided to stop scoring those types of goals...

Why am I mentioning this? Because it shows that the team needs a new voice... Someone who can get that full message across... Always liked Keefe as a coach but it was time and he knew it...
May 9 at 11:11 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: aadoyle
Would just be a giant waste of time

We need a guy who can change this group and not just for a year then tank into nothingness get fired by year 2 and then were paying 2 coaches to be elsewhere

To make the SCF or win it Y1? I'd gladly take it over whatever this is
May 9 at 11:15 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Leafsfan98
To make the SCF or win it Y1? I'd gladly take it over whatever this is

Dont see him as an improvment over Keefe. Yes his system works one year but its a waste of time and resources

NYR can tell yah that

As look at the choke-job he did game 7 last year yikes

Go get someone who is actually good

Like in all his tenure we went to the final once and could not adapt to WSH stretch passes losing VGK a cup, then he blew a 2-0 lead to TBL and the next year blew a 3-1 lead

He's a 1 season wonder and is not what TOR should be eyeing

We need stability and someone who can be here a while like TBL Cooper, PIT Sullivan, CAR Brind'Amour, etc
May 10 at 2:01 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
You know what, **** it. Bring me the "BIG BOYS" tm in the draft

Yakemchuk(Marner trade), MBN(23), Elick(2nd rounder), O'Reilly (3d rounder)
May 10 at 2:51 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Will say this if they are gonna move Marner I want a more player based return then draft capital

I want good players or prospects who can come in now and slot into the lineup immediately

Will narrow down the teams but we dont got a big window and wasting 2-3 years to see if ABC will be able to be in NHL and contribute is a no no
May 10 at 5:44 p.m.
Amirov Forever
You know what, **** it. Bring me the "BIG BOYS" tm in the draft

Yakemchuk(Marner trade), MBN(23), Elick(2nd rounder), O'Reilly (3d rounder)

MBN at 23 would genuinely be one of the drafts biggest steals. Fingers crossed he drops that low

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll