Forums/Armchair-GM

Im Doing It

Created by: CaseyFlyman
Team: 2024-25 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: May 8, 2024
Published: May 8, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
After all the trades, RFA, and UFA signings, I still had nearly $11M left in cap space. I don't think Stamkos is going to be convinced to leave TB, so I went after a couple less obvious UFA targets: Marchessault and Mantha.

It's a much more rounded-out lineup and added a few guys with serious playoff experience.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,250,000
2$1,200,000
3$1,600,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$4,250,000
2$3,750,000
1$975,000
3$2,750,000
7$7,500,000
5$6,250,000
3$3,750,000
Trades
TOR
    FC
    SJS
    1. Kämpf, David
    2. 2025 6th round pick (TOR)
    Additional Details:
    A team with cap and plenty of bottom-6 roster spots that doesn't mind grabbing an asset for a vet player to play 4C.
    TOR
      FC. I'm looking at it like Tavares is ~$5M player, so his trade value (~1st?) is totally negated by having to take essentially $6M in additional salary.
      CBJ
      1. Tavares, John
      Additional Details:
      Post-signing-bonus, so he's owed essentially no money.
      Columbus flips him half-retained at TDL for a 1st or 2nd. He agrees to waive knowing he's near-guaranteed to end up on a playoff lock at TDL.
      TOR
      1. Gustavsson, Filip
      2. Rossi, Marco
      3. 2024 1st round pick (MIN)
      Additional Details:
      13 OA.

It's about getting NHL-ready players that fill needs and have upside here, as well as serious draft capital to use in another trade.
      MIN
      1. Marner, Mitchell ($3,000,000 retained)
      Additional Details:
      He's going to dictate where he goes, and Minnesota looks to be set down the middle and needs top-6 forward help to get back in contention. It's as good a landing spot as any.

Wallstedt is ready and MAF is still here, that's your tandem for next year.

Marner comes at just under $8M this year and gets extended to something in the realm of 8x$12M once the buyouts come off the books.
      TOR
      1. Andersson, Rasmus
      Additional Details:
      Toronto goes from essentially 2 mediocre NHL D-men on the right side to an elite right side in one offseason. Overpay to get the guy.
      CGY
      1. Cowan, Easton
      2. Liljegren, Timothy
      3. 2024 1st round pick (MIN)
      4. 2026 3rd round pick (TOR)
      Additional Details:
      13 OA.

I'm not a TOR fan, so have at it. If you get an overpay (is this an overpay?), does it make sense for Calgary?
      Retained Salary Transactions
      DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the NSH
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the OTT
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
      23$87,500,000$86,855,000$0$850,000$645,000
      Left WingCentreRight Wing
      Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
      $925,000$925,000
      LW, RW
      RFA - 1
      $13,250,000$13,250,000
      C
      NMC
      UFA - 4
      $11,500,000$11,500,000
      RW
      NMC
      UFA - 8
      $3,750,000$3,750,000
      LW, RW
      UFA
      Logo of the Minnesota Wild
      $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
      C
      RFA - 1
      $6,250,000$6,250,000
      RW, LW
      UFA
      $1,200,000$1,200,000
      LW, RW
      RFA
      $4,250,000$4,250,000
      C, RW
      UFA
      $2,100,000$2,100,000
      RW, C, LW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 2
      $800,000$800,000
      C, LW
      RFA - 1
      $1,250,000$1,250,000
      LW, C
      RFA
      $1,350,000$1,350,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 2
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      $2,000,000$2,000,000
      LD/RD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      $7,500,000$7,500,000
      RD
      UFA
      $766,667$766,667
      G
      RFA - 1
      $7,500,000$7,500,000
      LD
      NMC
      UFA - 6
      Logo of the Calgary Flames
      $4,550,000$4,550,000
      RD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 2
      Logo of the Minnesota Wild
      $3,750,000$3,750,000
      G
      UFA - 2
      $3,750,000$3,750,000
      LD/RD
      UFA
      $2,750,000$2,750,000
      RD
      UFA
      ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
      $1,350,000$1,350,000
      RW
      UFA - 2
      $1,350,000$1,350,000
      LD
      UFA - 3
      $1,100,000$1,100,000
      RD
      RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      May 8 at 6:33 p.m.
      Cowen isn't going anywhere neither is JT. Marner trade would be a great return but i doubt he waives for the wild.
      palhal liked this.
      May 8 at 6:53 p.m.
      Quoting: Tony_Campolo
      Cowen isn't going anywhere neither is JT. Marner trade would be a great return but i doubt he waives for the wild.

I think a Marner trade is imminent and a JT trade is 50/50, FWIW. As for Cowen, I'd expect Toronto only moves him if it's for an excellent player with term on a good deal that fills a huge need (like Andersson here). The only way to get those players is by giving up a quality asset. Unless you're trading someone else off the roster (re: Knies), I don't think they have another asset of that caliber, not even the 1sts.

Non-roster players, it's Cowan > 2024 1st > Minten > 2026 1st > Grebyonkin > anything else, and it's a pretty steep drop off after that. If you're getting high quality in a trade, one or more probably has to go.
      May 8 at 7:18 p.m.
      Osiecki death stare
      Spurgeon for Marner straight up. Take it or leave it
      CaseyFlyman liked this.
      May 8 at 7:37 p.m.
      Tank it baby
      Adding Lazy Mantha is a waste of cap space in my opinion.
      CaseyFlyman liked this.
      May 8 at 7:43 p.m.
      LongtimeLeafsufferer
      Not much respect for players trade restrictions ., Kampf says no obviously. Marner probably says no. That is just nonsensical that Tavares would agree to waive to CBJ...when he's on a Cup contender with the Leafs. A massive overpay for Andersson.
      May 8 at 7:57 p.m.
      Quoting: Digitalbooya06
      Spurgeon for Marner straight up. Take it or leave it

Yes.

(I'm a Jackets fan, I don't really care one way or the other, though I imagine Toronto says no).
      May 8 at 8:06 p.m.
      Quoting: palhal
      Not much respect for players trade restrictions ., Kampf says no obviously. Marner probably says no. That is just nonsensical that Tavares would agree to waive to CBJ...when he's on a Cup contender with the Leafs. A massive overpay for Andersson.

Kampf has been moved so many times on this site I didn't even check for trade restrictions. That said...it's a 10-team no-trade list. The rare times those lists are revealed, it doesn't seem to be performance-based, so SJS might not be on that list.

Marner might say no, but if Toronto is hell bent on moving him, he's going to dictate exactly where he wants to go. Minnesota isn't a bad situation at all, so I could see him being ok with that.

On Tavares: probably. But no contender is taking that full cap hit. Again, if the Leafs are hell bent on moving him, it's either 1) retain half or 2) he waives for a non-contender on the assumption/handshake agreement that he's on a playoff team by TDL. Overall, I'm 50/50 on seeing him moved.

Lindholm, as a UFA, went for a 1st, top prospect, 4th, decent but overpaid roster player (who was nearly ppg since the trade), and a long-shot lottery-ticket prospect. I can assure you this is not a "massive" overpay for a top-pairing RD in his prime with two more years left on a great deal.
      May 8 at 8:13 p.m.
      I think Tavares, if UFA this summer, would get more than $5m on a one-year deal. $7.5m maybe.
      May 8 at 8:24 p.m.
      Quoting: NHLfan10506
      I think Tavares, if UFA this summer, would get more than $5m on a one-year deal. $7.5m maybe.

I could see something like $6.5M (Giroux as a comp, similar production). I fully expect him to sign with the Leafs next offseason at something like $5-6M for the rest of his career.
      May 8 at 8:46 p.m.
      LongtimeLeafsufferer
      Quoting: CaseyFlyman
      Kampf has been moved so many times on this site I didn't even check for trade restrictions. That said...it's a 10-team no-trade list. The rare times those lists are revealed, it doesn't seem to be performance-based, so SJS might not be on that list.

Marner might say no, but if Toronto is hell bent on moving him, he's going to dictate exactly where he wants to go. Minnesota isn't a bad situation at all, so I could see him being ok with that.

On Tavares: probably. But no contender is taking that full cap hit. Again, if the Leafs are hell bent on moving him, it's either 1) retain half or 2) he waives for a non-contender on the assumption/handshake agreement that he's on a playoff team by TDL. Overall, I'm 50/50 on seeing him moved.

Lindholm, as a UFA, went for a 1st, top prospect, 4th, decent but overpaid roster player (who was nearly ppg since the trade), and a long-shot lottery-ticket prospect. I can assure you this is not a "massive" overpay for a top-pairing RD in his prime with two more years left on a great deal.

You can be sure players have "no trade" teams that have cap and are lousy. Kampf is on a good team, there is no logic that he would have one of the worse teams on the list in his last two years in the NHL.
      Doesn't matter if the Leafs are hell bent on moving NMC Tavares. He's on a Cup contender with the Leafs in his hometown. He isn't moving once to Columbus a non playoff team, to hope can move again in February to a contender. Sorry just no logic in that trade.

Like Andersson though so. many think the Flames had so maybe top Dmen.....Hanifan, Tanev and Zaradov were traded, Weager and Andersson all those guys on a last place team.
      But the shouldn't be moving a whole lot for two years Andersson. Liljegren is fine, and cost less. Leafs aren't trading the OHL player of the year, and Marners replacement in two years Cowan, and the two picks. But it's irrevleant Kampf and Tavares's 13.4m are Leafs next season.
      May 8 at 8:50 p.m.
      LongtimeLeafsufferer
      Yes.

(I'm a Jackets fan, I don't really care one way or the other, though I imagine Toronto says no).

Marner says no. If Spurgeon had just one year left then maybe the Leafs agree. But three years at 7.5m for a likely declining mid 30s Dmen, is a bad investment.
      May 8 at 10:09 p.m.
      All the other teams decline Toronto's proposals.
      CaseyFlyman liked this.
      May 8 at 10:56 p.m.
      Quoting: MoxNix
      All the other teams decline Toronto's proposals.

To be fair, I'd take the Tavares deal for Columbus. The rest I don't actually have the authority to speak on.

I know it's extremely unlikely Calgary moves Andersson, and it's more likely he's the next captain...but on the 10% chance Calgary does decide to move him eventually, what would you want/expect a return to look like? That's the one I struggled with the most. I'd assume 1st, top prospect, replacement NHLer, and more picks to balance at a minimum?
      May 9 at 12:20 p.m.
      To be fair, I'd take the Tavares deal for Columbus. The rest I don't actually have the authority to speak on.

I know it's extremely unlikely Calgary moves Andersson, and it's more likely he's the next captain...but on the 10% chance Calgary does decide to move him eventually, what would you want/expect a return to look like? That's the one I struggled with the most. I'd assume 1st, top prospect, replacement NHLer, and more picks to balance at a minimum?

Yeah the Tavares flip could be an option but it's a moot point since Tavares won't waive anyhow.

I'd say there's a better than 10% chance Calgary could move Andersson but it'll take a very good offer to move him before the last year of his contract which is the season after next. But what you proposed is way low.
      CaseyFlyman liked this.
      May 9 at 7:05 p.m.
      Quoting: MoxNix
      Yeah the Tavares flip could be an option but it's a moot point since Tavares won't waive anyhow.

I'd say there's a better than 10% chance Calgary could move Andersson but it'll take a very good offer to move him before the last year of his contract which is the season after next. But what you proposed is way low.

In case there's a next time on a trade proposal, do you have a counteroffer? Or at least what you might add? I'm working with two teams I'm less familiar with, so I'd be genuinely curious.
      May 9 at 9:20 p.m.
      Edited May 9 at 9:36 p.m.
      In case there's a next time on a trade proposal, do you have a counteroffer? Or at least what you might add? I'm working with two teams I'm less familiar with, so I'd be genuinely curious.

Well Andersson was dealing with a nagging injury this year so if it doesn't happen at or before the draft this summer a lot would depend on how next year goes for him. Calgary doesn't have to move him he's on a great contract for 2 more years and they could very well extend him a year from now too.

But I really don't think Toronto has anything they'd be willing to trade that Calgary would give up Andersson for. That's assuming Matthews and Nylander are off the table Calgary would add for either one. Calgary wouldn't want Marner, that pretty much just leaves Knies + a late 1st if it's before the draft this summer but that'd just be a start, it'd take more than that.
      CaseyFlyman liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll