SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs Prospects, Draft Picks and More

May 9 at 11:05 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: aadoyle
How do we plan on getting a pick that high lul

And if you say Marner dont as I doubt anyone gives a top 10 pick for him due to a multitude of factors

I can see Utah as the owner wants to make a big splash
May 9 at 11:10 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Leafsfan98
I can see Utah as the owner wants to make a big splash

Can do that via FA spending and ridding themselves of the LTIR deals to have legit money
May 9 at 11:13 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Can do that via FA spending and ridding themselves of the LTIR deals to have legit money

I'm just pointing out that no current UFA compares to Marner's hype

And it gets the media talking about Utah and buying Utah jersey = more money
May 9 at 11:17 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
I'm just pointing out that no current UFA compares to Marner's hype

And it gets the media talking about Utah and buying Utah jersey = more money

Stamkos?

Reinhart?

Guentzel?

Marchessault?

Lul

They can get those guys keep the assets and they will be way cheaper than a Marner to especially once the extension comes.
palhal liked this.
May 9 at 11:19 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Stamkos?

Reinhart?

Guentzel?

Marchessault?

Lul

They can get those guys keep the assets and they will be way cheaper than a Marner to especially once the extension comes.

Again, great names, but Marner has a bigger name and would sell more jerseys
May 9 at 11:20 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Again, great names, but Marner has a bigger name and would sell more jerseys

He's not a bigger name than Stamkos come on lul

Stamkos goes to Utah its a big deal

Marner's basically hurt his rep rn and Utah fans probs be like really him can we maybe trade for someone else lul. This applies to many other teams to

He's gonna sell jerseys but once the playoffs role they just gonna get burned
May 10 at 9:31 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
He's not a bigger name than Stamkos come on lul

Stamkos goes to Utah its a big deal

Marner's basically hurt his rep rn and Utah fans probs be like really him can we maybe trade for someone else lul. This applies to many other teams to

He's gonna sell jerseys but once the playoffs role they just gonna get burned

Stamkos at 35... lul

I see a team like Utah trading for Marner as they need stars and Marner is one
May 11 at 3:17 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 11 at 3:23 a.m.
Stamkos at 35... lul

I see a team like Utah trading for Marner as they need stars and Marner is one

As the saying goes age is but a number has no meaning to star power.

Its the reputation and what they have accomplished

Stamkos is a 2 time SC champion, a former rocket, messier winner, a former 60 goal scorer and 1OA pick in 2008

Marner's a guy who in 8 years in the league was just a Selke finalist once. Good playmaker in the regular season but come playoffs disappears

If Stamkos went to Utah Hype would be very real and he would be cheaper to lul

Lets be honest hype for Marner considering all the news would be meh compared to if Utah somehow got Nylander or Matthews
May 12 at 10:51 p.m.
Amirov Forever
One dark horse selection I'd absolutely love to see the Leafs make is Teddy Stiga. He is so tenacious, so relentless, and such a DAWG. He would be Zach Hyman 2.0. He is going to be this drafts Stankoven.
CameronSquires liked this.
Mon. at 4:58 p.m.
Cowan Season
I don’t know why we all have seemingly brushed over / forgot about Jacob Quillan. I really think this guy has major upside and helps us a bit with our centre depth problem
Mon. at 5:14 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: CameronSquires
I don’t know why we all have seemingly brushed over / forgot about Jacob Quillan. I really think this guy has major upside and helps us a bit with our centre depth problem

Not sure about everyone else, but I was so pumped about that signing. Quillan is such a dawg, really like the player he is. Has good bottom 6 upside, I think he's a great candidate for a long term 3C. So tenacious
Mon. at 5:20 p.m.
Cowan Season
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Not sure about everyone else, but I was so pumped about that signing. Quillan is such a dawg, really like the player he is. Has good bottom 6 upside, I think he's a great candidate for a long term 3C. So tenacious

I was really pumped too. I think the time it happened kinda overshadowed it since I believe he was signed during the height of the TDL if I'm not mistaken?
Mon. at 6:48 p.m.
Amirov Forever
I was really pumped too. I think the time it happened kinda overshadowed it since I believe he was signed during the height of the TDL if I'm not mistaken?

He was signed on April Fools day. I only remember that because I had been talking about Quillan at length leading up to the signing and I thought my buddy was punking me when he told me we got him. It's a shame the Marlies got eliminated so early in the playoffs, I wanted to see how Quilly would play as he got more acclimated to the teams systems and the pace of the league
Mon. at 7:06 p.m.
Cowan Season
If the Leafs were going to look for a goalie prospect FA I'd look at Riley Mercer, brother of NJD forward Dawson.

This QMJHL postseason he has posted a 1.81 GAA and 0.938SV% and a shutout in both games in the finals so far.
Mon. at 7:13 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Mon. at 7:21 p.m.
If the Leafs were going to look for a goalie prospect FA I'd look at Riley Mercer, brother of NJD forward Dawson.

This QMJHL postseason he has posted a 1.81 GAA and 0.938SV% and a shutout in both games in the finals so far.

The issue is TOR has to many goalie prospects through their system

Hildeby, Cavellin, Akhtyamov, Peska

Crowding has already been a problem and if TOR goes and trades for Saros its gonna be even bigger
Mon. at 7:24 p.m.
Cowan Season
The issue is TOR has to many goalie prospects through their system

Hildeby, Cavellin, Akhtyamov, Peska

Crowding has already been a problem and if TOR goes and trades for Saros its gonna be even bigger

I know, but it's something they could still look at
Mon. at 8:07 p.m.
Amirov Forever

I want Ilya Nabokov
Mon. at 8:22 p.m.
Cowan Season
I want Ilya Nabokov

I like Mercer bc he’s from Newfoundland lol
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Mon. at 9:50 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Well Leafs fans better enjoy the draft this year. June 2025 Leafs don't have any picks in the first four rounds. June 2026 isn't much better.
Mon. at 10:00 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: palhal
Well Leafs fans better enjoy the draft this year. June 2025 Leafs don't have any picks in the first four rounds. June 2026 isn't much better.

I'll be enjoying our Cup Runs in those years so not a big deal
Mon. at 10:19 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer

Didn't the Leaf trade all those picks and others previously for the Cup runs for the past six years?? All those picks wasted for one playoff round victory.

I disagree that isn't a big deal. Leafs have only two players on their ELCs...cheap cap. If you can get players on the ELCs playing above the their cap, it's a great way to manage the cap. But no the Leafs every summer sign some over the hill aging UFAs to minimum contracts or so who have positive effect on the team.
Mon. at 10:44 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Didn't the Leaf trade all those picks and others previously for the Cup runs for the past six years?? All those picks wasted for one playoff round victory.

I disagree that isn't a big deal. Leafs have only two players on their ELCs...cheap cap. If you can get players on the ELCs playing above the their cap, it's a great way to manage the cap. But no the Leafs every summer sign some over the hill aging UFAs to minimum contracts or so who have positive effect on the team.

Thats the norm for competitive teams. They dont just load up on ELC's in their lineup besides pressbox extras after their AHL affiliate get eliminated

Look at all the teams currently in playoffs

CAR: Jarvis, Drury
NYR: Rempe, Brodzinski, Cuylle, Schneider

FLA: Lundell
BOS: Beecher, Brazeau, Lohrei

EDM: Holloway
Van: Aman

Dal: Johnston, Lundqvist, Harley, Stankoven
Avs: N/A

TOR has rn: Knies and Robertson up with guys like Cowen, Minten, Grebyokin, Tververg, Niemela knocking on the doorstep thats comparable to whose in the playoffs still rn.

Look what the Avs have been doing or VGK trading away these guys in an attempt to win now. They keep some but most of their picks, prospects, etc are gone to win Lord Stanley
Mon. at 10:49 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

In general what competitive team stockpiles picks or prospects rather than trade to try and win

VGK has basically trades almost all their first rounders and won a cup

Avs traded picks and prospects won a cup

Like I cant blame our GM's for trading for stuff to try and help this team but the core basically went thanks but how do we score again?

Once the core problems fixed and 1 or 2 are gone and we got space to continue building were set

2025 -2027 is gonna be a very interesting time for TOR thats for sure
Mon. at 11:00 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Thats the norm for competitive teams. They dont just load up on ELC's in their lineup besides pressbox extras after their AHL affiliate get eliminated

Look at all the teams currently in playoffs

CAR: Jarvis, Drury
NYR: Rempe, Brodzinski, Cuylle, Schneider

FLA: Lundell
BOS: Beecher, Brazeau, Lohrei

EDM: Holloway
Van: Aman

Dal: Johnston, Lundqvist, Harley, Stankoven
Avs: N/A

TOR has rn: Knies and Robertson up with guys like Cowen, Minten, Grebyokin, Tververg, Niemela knocking on the doorstep thats comparable to whose in the playoffs still rn.

Look what the Avs have been doing or VGK trading away these guys in an attempt to win now. They keep some but most of their picks, prospects, etc are gone to win Lord Stanley

One difference the Avs and Knights have won the Cup and have other longer playoff runs. Leafs just one playoff round win, and worse few quality picks in the 24, 25, 26 drafts and what have the Leafs got to show for it.....McCabe for one more. season. Leafs prospects pool in ranked in the lower 20% . I just can't figure how anyone can say, the Leafs trades/draft have helped the team in the past six years.
Tue. at 2:20 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
One difference the Avs and Knights have won the Cup and have other longer playoff runs. Leafs just one playoff round win, and worse few quality picks in the 24, 25, 26 drafts and what have the Leafs got to show for it.....McCabe for one more. season. Leafs prospects pool in ranked in the lower 20% . I just can't figure how anyone can say, the Leafs trades/draft have helped the team in the past six years.

For all competitive teams thats what you got to do.

Look at VGK this year went all in and lost R1 but won a cup the previous year doing almost the same. TBL goes all in almost yearly besides this one making crazy trades to try and get more cups.

These are the gambles you pull but as a competitive team you need to do em. Yes you dont need to go all in but you need to give the boyz a chance. Dubas did it last year and it got them to R2 but then the big boyz decided not to show up till they were down 3-0 and we know what happened

And lets say Leafs didnt make trade what good would these prospects have done more so than the players traded for?

ROR, Muzzin, etc were all welcomed additions but the problem wasnt with them it was the big 4 not doing much when needed besides Willy.

In the end were not a wait and see team were a go for it now and win as we got Matthews in his prime rn

We still have Cowen, Minten, Grebyokin, Knies, Robertson, etc were fine

Should not be focusing on the prospects (except Cowen) should be focusing on the now

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll