Forums/Armchair-GM

My Preferred Offseason Moves

Created by: AStovetop
Team: 2024-25 San Jose Sharks
Initial Creation Date: May 8, 2024
Published: May 15, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Overpaying for UFAs on shortish term deals.
- Stephenson I think is a guy who will draw interest from a lot of teams but not many will be able/willing to give him north of 5.5 mil.
- Domi I used the Killorn deal as a very vague comparable, he's younger so I had less term so he goes back to Free Agency if things aren't on track in SJ. Added AAV that most teams likely wouldn't pay for him.
- DeMelo would need to take a discount or WPG would need to shed depth to keep him so a fairly good chance he goes to UFA. Played in SJ for a number of years so there's an appeal. Overpay slightly, would be willing to go up to around 6.25 with him

Unlikely there will be many other big UFA moves other than depth pick ups so I prefer to keep guys around to keep moral high. Roster turnover can have a big affect. DeMelo, Stephenson, and Domi play a hard-nosed yet skilled game that Grier wants. It'll make this team much harder to play against.

Emberson looked really good when healthy and would like to see him stick around. Benning is just a solid 2nd pairing guy. Goal is to be MORE competitive, not trying to make playoffs right away so not making too many changes there.

Sharks have too many of what Bordeleau is bringing to the table and he doesn't really have a future in the squad imo, I think he'd get a better role in NJ. This is a scenario where one of Parekh/Buium/Yakemchuk falls a bit and sharks get a future #1 D at pick 10. Palat hasn't fit the NJ system all that well and has a big cap hit with term for a 33 year old. Not a full on cap dump but i think it would make up the difference in value considering Bords alone would be an overpay to move up only 4 spots.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,250,000
2$1,500,000
3$2,500,000
3$1,150,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$5,500,000
2$7,250,000
3$6,750,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Celebrini, Macklin
3$925,000
Trades
SJS
  1. 2024 6th round pick (OTT)
SJS
  1. Palat, Ondrej
  2. 2024 1st round pick (NJD)
NJD
  1. Bordeleau, Thomas
  2. 2024 1st round pick (PIT)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$87,000,000$72,192,500$0$1,307,500$14,807,500
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW
RFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$1,450,000$1,450,000
RW
RFA - 1
$7,250,000$7,250,000
C, LW
UFA
Celebrini, Macklin
$925,000$925,000
$6,750,000$6,750,000
C, RW
UFA
$918,333$918,333
LW
RFA - 3
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RW, C
RFA
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 3
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C
UFA - 1
$867,500$867,500 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
RW
RFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD
RFA
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
UFA
$2,350,000$2,350,000
G
UFA - 1
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LD
UFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RD
UFA - 2
$3,400,000$3,400,000
G
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
LD
RFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RD
RFA
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$8,000,000$8,000,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 15 at 2:57 p.m.
Tank it baby
Domi isn't worth anything near 6.75 mil AAV.

Just because the Sharks have a lot of cap space doesn't mean they should spend it foolishly.

That's how you become the Red Wings.

No playoffs and no cap space after 5 years of rebuilding.
Letsgosharks liked this.
May 15 at 3:02 p.m.
alwaysnextyear
How about a signed Hronek for the PIT 1st (14th overall)?

He'd be a big upgrade on the blue line to help transition the young team back to playoff contention.
May 15 at 3:07 p.m.
sharks88
Not sure taking on Palat and giving up Bords is worth it to move up 4 spots.
Letsgosharks liked this.
May 15 at 3:10 p.m.
Bcarlo25
don't really get why san jose would be looking to add. i think best case scenario for them is that celebrini goes back to BU for another year, and they can tank again.
Letsgosharks liked this.
May 15 at 3:18 p.m.
Stovetop
Quoting: SharkTank

Just because the Sharks have a lot of cap space doesn't mean they should spend it foolishly.

They're 2-3 year deals. If you want solid UFAs than yes you'll need to overpay, which the Sharks can very easily afford to do the next 3 years. You get into the low 6/high 5 range and someone else is picking up Domi.

Even if Couture somehow came back, they're still about 7 mil under the cap. Burns retention off the books next year, then Vlasic is gone the next year, then EK65 and Jones money is off the books

For Detroit they signed Copp to 5 years, Compher to 5 years, Chiarot to 4 years + other Vets like Maatta, Holl, & Petry who are just taking up roster spots. I'm not proposing they go out and get 7 new players, I'm looking at 3 who can really help. Plus Domi, Stephenson and DeMelo are all better than all those players.

Also Detroit has progressively gotten better and better and it's not like they've needed to let anyone go to free agency because they're cap strapped.
May 15 at 3:19 p.m.

Hahaha. Red Wings cap hit was 1m more than the Sharks. Red Wings 80m vs Sharks 79m. And the Red Wings roster is exceptionally better for that extra 1m. Red Wings are 5 years ahead of them in terms of developing prospects. Wings young players are now hitting their strides and were one goal away from playoffs this year. Meanwhile, the Sharks, after 5 years of no playoffs are still bottom feeders and picking up the Red Wings scraps in Zadina and Smith. Merkley is a bust. Weisblatt is a bust. San Jose sold off all their valuable vets for scraps. You only got a 4th liner, an AHL goalie and a 3rd for Brent Burns...and you retained 2.7m in salary to do it. Hilarious.
May 15 at 3:22 p.m.
Stovetop
Quoting: sharksdoee
Not sure taking on Palat and giving up Bords is worth it to move up 4 spots.

Again that's in the scenario where one of Parekh, Buium, or Yakemchuk are still available there, in which case I think it would be a slight overpay but well worth it. I just think Smith, Bystedt, Celebrini, Edstrom project as better fits at Center. And Eklund, Gushchin, and Musty look better fits as future LWs
sharksdoee and RecycleShark liked this.
May 15 at 3:25 p.m.
Stovetop
Quoting: Bcarlo25
don't really get why san jose would be looking to add. i think best case scenario for them is that celebrini goes back to BU for another year, and they can tank again.

Because they have the prospects now. There's no need to create that culture of losing. That's how you end up like Buffalo and Ottawa where they're perpetually rebuilding.
DFinn91 and RecycleShark liked this.
May 15 at 3:27 p.m.
Stovetop
Edited May 15 at 3:44 p.m.
Quoting: alwaysnextyear
How about a signed Hronek for the PIT 1st (14th overall)?

He'd be a big upgrade on the blue line to help transition the young team back to playoff contention.

I think that's a bit much to give up for him tbh. He's never had THIS good a year. I'd do the 33rd overall pick for him though. I do really like him and Durzi as RHD trade targets but I'm not crazy about giving up assets for them
alwaysnextyear liked this.
May 15 at 3:30 p.m.
Bcarlo25
Quoting: AStovetop
Because they have the prospects now. There's no need to create that culture of losing. That's how you end up like Buffalo and Ottawa where they're perpetually rebuilding.

they still need a LOT more.
May 15 at 3:37 p.m.
Stovetop
they still need a LOT more.

That's just not true. Halttunen our 6-7th best forward prospect (factoring in Celebrini) in our system just had back to back hattricks and has the most OHL playoff goals since 1993 I believe it was. Cagnoni had the most points by a D-man in the WHL since 1991. Musty was nearly 2 points per game. Smith had one of the best NCAA freshman seasons of all time. That's just our 2023 picks.

They signed the best NCAA free agent prospect in Graf. They have the 14th overall pick in addition to #1 this year + 33rd overall and 42nd overall. Next year they have their own and VGKs unprotected picks. Gushchin, Shakir, Thrun, Cardwell, Rimashevsky, Edstrom, Bystedt. These guys would be top 5 in most other prospect pools.
May 15 at 3:38 p.m.
Bcarlo25
That's just not true. Halttunen our 6-7th best forward prospect (factoring in Celebrini) in our system just had back to back hattricks and has the most OHL playoff goals since 1993 I believe it was. Cagnoni had the most points by a D-man in the WHL since 1991. Musty was nearly 2 points per game. Smith had one of the best NCAA freshman seasons of all time. That's just our 2023 picks.

They signed the best NCAA free agent prospect in Graf. They have the 14th overall pick in addition to #1 this year + 33rd overall and 42nd overall. Next year they have their own and VGKs unprotected picks. Gushchin, Shakir, Thrun, Cardwell, Rimashevsky, Edstrom, Bystedt. These guys would be top 5 in most other prospect pools.

prospects usually don't pan out. san jose needs a LOT more.
May 15 at 3:43 p.m.
Stovetop

They could hit on literally 30% of them and still have an elite team. Also why I created a team with very solid UFA vets.

Saying the best prospect pool in the NHL isn't enough is just you projecting because Boston has a bottom five prospect pool and a very old NHL team
May 15 at 3:45 p.m.
sharks88
Again that's in the scenario where one of Parekh, Buium, or Yakemchuk are still available there, in which case I think it would be a slight overpay but well worth it. I just think Smith, Bystedt, Celebrini, Edstrom project as better fits at Center. And Eklund, Gushchin, and Musty look better fits as future LWs

Fair, those D would be a great get. Palat alone should be enough, I've liked enough what I've seen from Bords so far and he should be M6 next year assuming Musty isn't ready. Some chance to build his trade value or solidify his spot over Gush.
Depending on how this and the next 2 drafts go I can see Smith move to RW.
May 15 at 3:47 p.m.
Bcarlo25
They could hit on literally 30% of them and still have an elite team. Also why I created a team with very solid UFA vets.

Saying the best prospect pool in the NHL isn't enough is just you projecting because Boston has a bottom five prospect pool and a very old NHL team

oh good - right on schedule for randomly lashing out.

the top prospect pool in the league is great, but the roster is horrific. it's not enough. san jose needs another top five pick to use on a big time D man.
May 15 at 4:06 p.m.
Stovetop
oh good - right on schedule for randomly lashing out.

the top prospect pool in the league is great, but the roster is horrific. it's not enough. san jose needs another top five pick to use on a big time D man.

Lol You're dying on a hill that you're objectively wrong about that I explained in great detail why and how you're wrong. You're saying the same thing over and over trying to dunk on this team so I'm giving it back.

The team I have above is pretty damn decent. Not a playoff team likely, but a HUGE step up. And I also explained that the trading up to #10 was to get that #1 D that you're referring to.
May 15 at 4:11 p.m.
Stovetop
Quoting: sharksdoee
Fair, those D would be a great get. Palat alone should be enough, I've liked enough what I've seen from Bords so far and he should be M6 next year assuming Musty isn't ready. Some chance to build his trade value or solidify his spot over Gush.
Depending on how this and the next 2 drafts go I can see Smith move to RW.

I agree, I'm overestimating cost to sign Free Agents and trades, other wise you get a lot of push back on these lol

And yeah I think Smith is more likely to be a RW at least to start in the NHL. But I think a vet 2C would make the most sense. I'd be very happy to keep Granlund a few more years.
May 15 at 4:12 p.m.
Bcarlo25
Lol You're dying on a hill that you're objectively wrong about that I explained in great detail why and how you're wrong. You're saying the same thing over and over trying to dunk on this team so I'm giving it back.

The team I have above is pretty damn decent. Not a playoff team likely, but a HUGE step up. And I also explained that the trading up to #10 was to get that #1 D that you're referring to.

1. prospect ranking/rating is inherently subjective. calling that objective is the height of stupidity.
2. drafting a #1 D man at 10 is a very tall order. it's not impossible, sometimes they go later, but it's not like you can just say, "#10 pick, #1 dman...done."
May 15 at 4:25 p.m.
Stovetop
1. prospect ranking/rating is inherently subjective. calling that objective is the height of stupidity.
2. drafting a #1 D man at 10 is a very tall order. it's not impossible, sometimes they go later, but it's not like you can just say, "#10 pick, #1 dman...done."

Damn dude, why are you so tilted over something you know nothing about. you clearly don't know how good the Sharks prospect pool is yet you're trying so hard to say it's bad.

I listed the three d-men that DO project to be first pairing d-men. This is a very good defensive draft in the top 12-15. Buium, Yakemchuk and Parekh are those guys and that was the basis of that trade lmao.
May 15 at 4:27 p.m.
Bcarlo25
Damn dude, why are you so tilted over something you know nothing about. you clearly don't know how good the Sharks prospect pool is yet you're trying so hard to say it's bad.

I listed the three d-men that DO project to be first pairing d-men. This is a very good defensive draft in the top 12-15. Buium, Yakemchuk and Parekh are those guys and that was the basis of that trade lmao.

you new to how the NHL draft works? guys are projected as something, and they rarely pan out. that's just how it works. Ryan Merkley projected pretty highly. how did that work out? every NHL team has hundreds of stories like that.

while we're asking questions, why do you think prospect ratings are objective?
May 15 at 4:32 p.m.
I hate these moves ngl, paying just to pay is a terrible idea.

keep bords, try to see if he shows his upside this year, play gush for the same reason, not giving our prospects a chance by having UFAs in the way is just a terrible idea. See our issue with the d log jam

I understand you have to sign a few vets to surround the youth with, but not this aggressive. Maybe Stephenson id be fine with if Celebrini and Smith stay in college.
May 15 at 4:36 p.m.
Quoting: Spaceman
Hahaha. Red Wings cap hit was 1m more than the Sharks. Red Wings 80m vs Sharks 79m. And the Red Wings roster is exceptionally better for that extra 1m. Red Wings are 5 years ahead of them in terms of developing prospects. Wings young players are now hitting their strides and were one goal away from playoffs this year. Meanwhile, the Sharks, after 5 years of no playoffs are still bottom feeders and picking up the Red Wings scraps in Zadina and Smith. Merkley is a bust. Weisblatt is a bust. San Jose sold off all their valuable vets for scraps. You only got a 4th liner, an AHL goalie and a 3rd for Brent Burns...and you retained 2.7m in salary to do it. Hilarious.

Yeah we made the playoffs 3 years after you guys, of course our rebuild is behind yours. We had a GM in denial for 3 years after that as well.

Also since you want to talk big, sick March and April you guys had to keep your streak going. Clearly your rebuild is going perfectly to plan.
May 15 at 4:38 p.m.

The stray redwings shot is crazy tears of joy
May 15 at 4:42 p.m.

I would argue we do not a WHOLE lot more upfront, but yes we need a lot more Defensive options in the future.

While we will have to make a few adjustments because we simply cannot go 19-63 again for the sake of the development of the guys in the lineup, we should obviously not spend most of our cap space in free agency.

Regardless of anything here, we have the 1oa pick, 14oa pick, and we will most likely be a Botton 5 team in the NHL next year with another top 5 pick coming our way, along with the VGK unprotected first that I hope we use on the Best defensemen available.
May 15 at 4:58 p.m.
Tank it baby
Edited May 15 at 5:06 p.m.
Quoting: Letsgosharks
The stray redwings shot is crazy tears of joy

I'm not even counting the Holland years when he ran Detroit into the ground at the end.

Yzerman had to clean it up and he was doing it until he went all Kenny Holland signing every UFA with a pulse.
Letsgosharks liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll