SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023-2024 NHL Discussion Thread #6: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Cup

May 6 at 2:59 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Turbo
Friedman speculated on if Seth Jones would be willing to go to Toronto on the podcast today so get ready for a flood of Marner for Jones centered ACGMs this summer

Its such a gamble for the fact if Jones goes back to what he was 2 years ago man its gonna be rough

Jones has always been a player to where the eye test says one thing on him but analytics say otherwise making it to where trading for him can go 50/50

Anyways lets see
May 6 at 3:01 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: HockeyScotty
Yeah the coaching decision is the front and center (another HC let go before extension?)

Player wise there really is just a few things that can do to improve the team vs "change for change's sake".

Pick 1 UFA: Max Domi or Tyler Bertuzzi
#1 RD in Free Agency
Goalie (1A or 1B) in Free Agency

Beyond that it is coaching/execution/systems and the role of the youth movement: Knies, Quillan, Minten, Cowan, Grebyonkin, Niemela, Hildeby getting any meaningful roles in 2024-25.

Predicting/expecting anything major beyond that requires 2 or 3 "steps" to come together that are impossible to determine today at this stage

Apparently per Friedman

Both Bertuzzi and Domi and the TML have mutual interest in a return

TOR is talking with McCabe on extension

Berube is the front runner for HC

Doing the math on if bringing those two back and doing other things is do able and getting what we want but yea its not bad so far.
May 6 at 3:14 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
Apparently per Friedman

Both Bertuzzi and Domi and the TML have mutual interest in a return

TOR is talking with McCabe on extension

Berube is the front runner for HC

Doing the math on if bringing those two back and doing other things is do able and getting what we want but yea its not bad so far.

I can't see how much changes for TML if they don't add a high end top 4 RHD. With Pesce, Montour, Roy, Walker, and some others likely on the market they'll need between $5 and $7 million available in free agency; all of those re-signings would use up their cap space along with Liljegren RFA and goalie deals.

Their offense being only created from the top 6 forwards is the most predictable attack; if they got better transition and offense generated from their defense they would be a much more dangerous and consistent team.
May 6 at 3:22 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
I can't see how much changes for TML if they don't add a high end top 4 RHD. With Pesce, Montour, Roy, Walker, and some others likely on the market they'll need between $5 and $7 million available in free agency; all of those re-signings would use up their cap space along with Liljegren RFA and goalie deals.

Their offense being only created from the top 6 forwards is the most predictable attack; if they got better transition and offense generated from their defense they would be a much more dangerous and consistent team.

So I did the math.

Bertuzzi will probs get around 4.75m-5.5m and Domi 3-4m both on 5-6 year deals

TOR then has enough to bring in a 4-6m Dman (Roy, Demelo, etc.), Lybushkin at around 1.5m, and a 2m goalie to backup Woll

Its tricky but doable as they have seen some guys step up and graduate

Robertson, McMann (was hurt the series so who knows what we would have seen when healthy), Benoit, Dewar, Holmberg, etc.

Like man it sucks McMann got hurt as he was snakingly becoming a B6 weapon who could score off the rush or just drive the net
CantStopWontStop liked this.
May 6 at 3:30 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Seems Travis Green is going to OTT as the HC

So then my guess is Woodcroft to NJ then
May 6 at 3:31 p.m.
SHL NJD GM
Seems Travis Green is going to OTT

Really? That's a bold move cotton, let's see if it pays off
May 6 at 3:34 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 6 at 3:42 p.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Really? That's a bold move cotton, let's see if it pays off

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/video/all-eyes-on-travis-green-for-senators-vacant-head-coaching-gig/

I honestly thought he was gonna stay in NJ based on the comments heard and stuff and team was fine around him.

Guess they have someone else in mind wonder who

Woodcroft, Gallant, McLellan, etc

But yea lot of teams will be looking for HC soon

NJ
TOR
LA
WPG (coach just retired)
May 6 at 3:42 p.m.
So I did the math.

Bertuzzi will probs get around 4.75m-5.5m and Domi 3-4m both on 5-6 year deals

TOR then has enough to bring in a 4-6m Dman (Roy, Demelo, etc.), Lybushkin at around 1.5m, and a 2m goalie to backup Woll

Its tricky but doable as they have seen some guys step up and graduate

Robertson, McMann (was hurt the series so who knows what we would have seen when healthy), Benoit, Dewar, Holmberg, etc.

Like man it sucks McMann got hurt as he was snakingly becoming a B6 weapon who could score off the rush or just drive the net

I think Domi will get more, even as a low end 2C or as a 2nd line winger he is probably in the same range as Bertuzzi. His play down the stretch and in the playoffs has helped him alot.

Also, where did you value Liljegren?

I think there is only room to bring in 2 out of 3 of Domi, Bertuzzi, and a 1st pair RD.
Saskleaf liked this.
May 6 at 3:43 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 6 at 3:51 p.m.
I think Domi will get more, even as a low end 2C or as a 2nd line winger he is probably in the same range as Bertuzzi. His play down the stretch and in the playoffs has helped him alot.

Also, where did you value Liljegren?

I think there is only room to bring in 2 out of 3 of Domi, Bertuzzi, and a 1st pair RD.

Domi's said numerous times if he stays he is willing to take a discount of course open market he can get more but if he stays its on a discount like what Paul did with TBL

Wouldnt be surprised if its a 3.15m x 7 year deal like Pauls was

Liligren is not gonna get to much. Guy didnt have a super great season and does not have a tonne of leverage see a 2 year 2.25m deal as rn he's a third pair guy who can do a bunch of little things but not excel at them. Basically Liligren got a Bear deal
May 6 at 4:53 p.m.
Bedard23
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
I went 7-1 in round 1 (only wrong prediction was Winnipeg over Colorado) so these are my round 2 predictions, let's see if my great pace can continue

Florida in 6 (sticking with my start of playoff prediction)
Carolina in 6 (sticking with my start of playoff prediction)
Colorado in 7
Oilers in 5

Same thing happened to me
May 6 at 5:51 p.m.
Bedard23
https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/video/all-eyes-on-travis-green-for-senators-vacant-head-coaching-gig/

I honestly thought he was gonna stay in NJ based on the comments heard and stuff and team was fine around him.

Guess they have someone else in mind wonder who

Woodcroft, Gallant, McLellan, etc

But yea lot of teams will be looking for HC soon

NJ
TOR
LA
WPG (coach just retired)

NJ: I think they’ll just hire Gallant

TOR: Keefe hasn’t been fired yet, (though he probably will be in about 2 hours)

LA: I legitimately don’t know what direction they’re going in

WPG: Likely just going to promote Scott Arneil
May 6 at 6:07 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 6 at 7:47 p.m.
Quoting: IconicHawk
NJ: I think they’ll just hire Gallant

TOR: Keefe hasn’t been fired yet, (though he probably will be in about 2 hours)

LA: I legitimately don’t know what direction they’re going in

WPG: Likely just going to promote Scott Arneil

Before Thursday or before FA Keefe's gone

Would be shocked if he's still here

This is my guess rn

NJ: Gallant
LA: Evason
WPG: Woodcroft
TOR: Berube
CantStopWontStop liked this.
May 6 at 8:04 p.m.
I think berube would be a good fit in Toronto.

I wonder if stl would look at Sheldon. I think he’d bring our org a much higher quality front office: Toronto has to have elite player support.

We’ve had so many home grown coaches recently we don’t have an outsiders opinion, let alone one who experienced the peak.

I’m still guessin stl hires Q unless fan backlash over his potential hiring is/was substantial. I don’t think the average fan cares one bit about details like what Q did. They just watch hockey and want a winning team.
May 6 at 10:12 p.m.
Domi's said numerous times if he stays he is willing to take a discount of course open market he can get more but if he stays its on a discount like what Paul did with TBL

Wouldnt be surprised if its a 3.15m x 7 year deal like Pauls was

Liligren is not gonna get to much. Guy didnt have a super great season and does not have a tonne of leverage see a 2 year 2.25m deal as rn he's a third pair guy who can do a bunch of little things but not excel at them. Basically Liligren got a Bear deal

You might get Liljegren on 1 year at that AAV but if there is term it will be around $3m AAV. I dont see any reason to argue against this analysis: Predicting Maple Leafs’ Expiring RFA Defencemen’s Next Contracts
May 6 at 10:15 p.m.
"Blake will return as general manager for the 2024-25 season, the last year of a three-year contract extension he signed in May 2022." -NHL.com

I was disappointed to see this headline. Blake made a terrible, and totally avoidable decision to acquire PLD and he should be held accountable before PLD's NMC kicks in. Kings need a new GM to evaluate the roster and make a really tough decision about their future and they need to do it now, before they're mired in mediocracy for the next 7 years. I would shop PLD to MTL and if that doesn't work, I would buy him out before his NMC clause kicks in.
May 6 at 10:17 p.m.
Pretty sure Sway is a robot.
May 7 at 12:26 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
You might get Liljegren on 1 year at that AAV but if there is term it will be around $3m AAV. I dont see any reason to argue against this analysis: Predicting Maple Leafs’ Expiring RFA Defencemen’s Next Contracts

Never look at those look at the comparable and Liligren's comparable rn be Bear due to the similar situation of both guys

Guy signed a 2m x 2 year extension then a 2.2m extension than a 2.05m extension

Remember this happened last time and then he signed 1.4m x 2 when everyone said he would be getting 3m

While 3m x 3 years is ok I see a 2.25-2.5m x 2 years if he gets more your playing him top 4 which is unwise
May 7 at 9:42 a.m.
Never look at those look at the comparable and Liligren's comparable rn be Bear due to the similar situation of both guys

Guy signed a 2m x 2 year extension then a 2.2m extension than a 2.05m extension

Remember this happened last time and then he signed 1.4m x 2 when everyone said he would be getting 3m

While 3m x 3 years is ok I see a 2.25-2.5m x 2 years if he gets more your playing him top 4 which is unwise

Where are you finding your comps?
May 7 at 9:45 a.m.
Bedard23
Seems Travis Green is going to OTT as the HC

So then my guess is Woodcroft to NJ then

Sens just love sabotaging themselves
May 7 at 10:15 a.m.
Stl had named drew bannister its coach, a 2-year deal was signed.

Works for me. Woulda been kinda rough on the guy to give him a taste of the nhl then replace him with a guy who has a multi year ban from the sport.

He gave a lot of young guys real ice time to end this season, probably more ice time for more guys (alexandrov, dean, bolduc, Toropchenko, tucker, etc) than I’ve ever seen stl do. I like that. No point in playing a guy 8-10 min a night, healthy scratch them a lot, and expect them to improve - or rostering a pure scoring winger but hiding him from real minutes.
May 7 at 11:10 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Kucherov, Mackinnon and McDavid nominated for the Hart...
May 7 at 11:56 a.m.
CELEBRINI IS A SHARK
Quoting: Leafsfan98
Kucherov, Mackinnon and McDavid nominated for the Hart...

Warranted
May 7 at 1:36 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Where are you finding your comps?

NST and video examples from other guys talking about the future

Liligren in general is a nice third pair guy but thats about it. He's not gonna be top 4 here and when we look at the league guys like

Kylington
Bear
Boqvist
Bean
Jokiharju
Fabbro

Its a fair range

2.25m - 2.5m on a 1 -2 year deals what I expect anymore and your just overpaying for the product. If he was gonna be in the top 4 sure but its doubtful as Brad's gonna go get 2 guys no doubt about it who will lower him down. Heck he may even be traded who knows
May 7 at 1:54 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 7 at 5:37 p.m.
Just remembered Marner's agent was Darren Ferris

That adds another roadblock to potential trade due to that guys preferences

But then I also remembered a funny tweet

Kessel got traded after the fans and media turned on him went to Pitt won 2 cups

Kadri got traded after fans and media turned on him went to Avs won a cup

Kaberle got traded after fans and media turned on him went to Bos won a cup

There are more examples but got to wonder

Is Marner next lul
May 7 at 5:58 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: yikes
Warranted

Matthews deserves to be nominated over any one of those 3...

Matthews might score 69, win the Selke, Lady Byng, Mark Messier award and the Ted Lindsay award and won't get nominated for the Hart is dumb

But I did call it start of season

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll