SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Boston Bruins signed Jaxon Nelson (1 Year / $950,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Apr. 2 at 10:19 a.m.
Jaxon Nelson has signed a new contract with the Boston Bruins.
Entry-Level Contract
Comparable ContractsCOMPARE THIS CONTRACT
SIGNED BY: Don Sweeney
Length: 1 year
Value: $950,000
Expiry Status: RFA
Cap % Tooltip: 1.04
Signing Team: Logo of the Boston BruinsBoston Bruins
Signing Date: Apr. 2, 2024
Source: CapFriendly

Jaxon Nelson signed a 1 year, $950,000 contract with the Boston Bruins on Apr. 2, 2024. The contract has a cap hit of $870,000.

SEASONClauseCap HitTooltipAAV TooltipP. BonusesTooltipS. BonusesTooltipBase SalaryTooltipTotal SalaryTooltipMinors SalTooltip
2024-25$870,000$950,000$80,000$95,000$775,000$870,000$82,500
TOTAL$870,000$950,000$80,000$95,000$775,000$870,000$82,500
Qualifying OfferTooltip: $813,750
Apr. 2 at 10:51 a.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
This is one of those "character" guys who develop in college after not being drafted. A performer under pressure, he has a real shot at the NHL. Good signing by the Bruins.
Apr. 2 at 10:54 a.m.
Amirov Forever
Good pickup by the Bruins, seems like they pivoted to Nelson after missing on Quillan. Seems like he'll fit right in on the Bruins, excited to see his development
SimonVenell liked this.
Apr. 2 at 1:03 p.m.
He does things a guy his size shouldn't be able to do. Underrated signing. Can play any role and is a great leader.
Apr. 2 at 2:51 p.m.
SkateOrDie
Quoting: OldNYIfan
This is one of those "character" guys who develop in college after not being drafted. A performer under pressure, he has a real shot at the NHL. Good signing by the Bruins.

forwards peak at 25-27. He's already 24.
You are making a whole lot to do for a guy who was playing guys years younger than him.
I like NCAA hockey, I watch a lot of it. But you have to know how to judge the talent there and project it.
A normal hockey player is in the NHL by this age. Not looking to make the jump.
Fact it took him this long to make it isn't exactly a good sign. That's being generous.
All the best to him, but he has an uphill battle.
There are guys 4 years younger than him with more talent coming into the league. When push comes to shove it's hard to spend a lot of time developing a guy who will be 25 next year especially when you only get 3 years of control.
If he can't make the jump right away my guess is he won't make it.
Apr. 2 at 6:13 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: LuckyMoneyPuck
You are making a whole lot to do for a guy who was playing guys years younger than him.
I like NCAA hockey, I watch a lot of it. But you have to know how to judge the talent there and project it.
Fact it took him this long to make it isn't exactly a good sign. That's being generous.
There are guys 4 years younger than him with more talent coming into the league. When push comes to shove it's hard to spend a lot of time developing a guy who will be 25 next year especially when you only get 3 years of control.

"took him this long"?!?!? What a fatuous statement -- maybe he wanted to inquire a collidge edukation?

Maybe he'll become Boston's next Brad Marchand, who by his 25th birthday had fewer points in more games than Trevor Zegras. Marchand didn't have a breakout season until he was 28.
BruinsCharlies liked this.
Apr. 2 at 6:22 p.m.
SkateOrDie
Quoting: OldNYIfan
"took him this long"?!?!? What a fatuous statement -- maybe he wanted to inquire a collidge edukation?

Maybe he'll become Boston's next Brad Marchand, who at almost the exact same age as Nelson is now had fewer points in more games than Trevor Zegras. Marchand didn't have a breakout season until he was 28.

Players who have NHL talent make the jump by 24. That's just facts. The money is worth more than the degree.
On top of it, if the degree was what was important he'd have it at 22 like most college students.
So I assure you it's not the degree.
It's a long road. NCAA has a lot of players who are 18-19. Some are a bit older 21-22. Either way he was one of the oldest players in the league last year and being 23-24 playing against 18-19 year olds to get noticed isn't a good impression. Which is where we are at.
Take it with a gain of salt. He won't be playing against guys younger than him at the NHL level, at least not one's who aren't very talented. So he's going to have an uphill climb as the competition isn't developing anymore while he's matured.
Apr. 3 at 2:01 p.m.
Quoting: LuckyMoneyPuck

It's an uphill battle for many NHLer's. That doesn't mean he can't get there. Bobby McMann just made it at 27 and Justin Brazeau at 26. He has a hard road but it can be done.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Apr. 3 at 3:13 p.m.
SkateOrDie
Quoting: BruinsCharlies
It's an uphill battle for many NHLer's. That doesn't mean he can't get there. Bobby McMann just made it at 27 and Justin Brazeau at 26. He has a hard road but it can be done.

I never said he can't. I am just being realistic about it.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit