Forums/Armchair-GM

Top center targets for this team in the offseason imo

Created by: dons_weeney
Team: 2024-25 Boston Bruins
Initial Creation Date: May 18, 2024
Published: May 18, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Not that it wasn't clear before, but now we are certain the bruins need to solve their center issue, and add some scoring to the wings, the former being the priority but the latter not being far behind. Defense and goaltending is all set, so that's some peace of mind for management and fans. Here's who my top trade or FA signings for the team. Keep in mind each player may be on the list for various reasons, whether it's filling the need the best, availability, cost, etc., and their ranking on the list will also take that into account.

1: Elias Lindholm
- This is the most realistic, and while you'd have to pay a premium to land him, it might be worth overpaying on the contract to get him for free. Assets are limited, so the B's probably want to be conservative, plus do they really have the assets to trade for a center anyways? I like Lindholm, he's good but not great. He's not their cup contending 1c, but the rest of the roster is excellent so maybe they can boost him up a little. He's also proving he can elevate his game in the playoffs, contrary to Coyle and Zacha. This team isn't getting a real 1c anytime soon, so why not sign him? Worst case if they do happen to get a 1c via trade down the road, Lindholm can play wing pretty well, and his contract won't be extreme enough to be deadweight on this roster. It's a good problem to have. It won't age well, but beggars can't be choosers.

2: Chandler Stephenson
- I'm mixed on Stephenson, seems like he had a down year, but part of that is probably just underutilizing him as a player. My worry is that he just becomes another Coyle/zacha type player, which they don't really need more of. It would help for sure with depth, he can play wing too, but it would be a waste of their big free agent signing if he fails to live up to the potential they sign him for.

3: Marco Rossi
- Interesting that he's available, since he's young and promising, and has established himself as a good NHL player already. This is probably my top target if I'm Don Sweeney, because he can be part of the next core. I'm ok with trading picks, prospects, or roster players for him, but I'm not sure if the B's have what Minnesota is looking for.

4: Martin Necas
- The rumor is he wants to play center, and with Carolina prioritizing Guentzel, looks like he's available. He's an RFA, so a trade would have to take place, it just comes down to what Carolina wants. If they're looking at Ullmark, a package could be made pretty easily. Necas would be good just to have as a Swiss army knife in the top 6, with the hope he excels at center. Whether it works out or not, they need wingers anyways, so I'm all good with it regardless. He's young too, so more potential upside. This is a good example of buying low. He's slowed down a little, and Carolina lost some leverage.

5: Roope Hintz
- This one is just for fun. With Dallas' absurd forward depth and the emergence of Wyatt Johnston, do they really want/need two 1c's? In my mind, I'd rather have a top pairing defenseman to play with Heiskanen, or to load up on the second pairing. He's on an excellent contract, so the price would be high, and the desire to move him would be low, but if there was any 1c in the league that could be potentially pried away from their team, Hintz is one of the first guys I'd take a look at. The odds of him being moved are probably 0.1%, but every other 1c is 0%, so there's hope!
Trades
BOS
  1. 2024 7th round pick (NJD)
DET
BOS
  1. 2026 7th round pick (VAN)
NYR
BOS
  1. 2025 7th round pick (VAN)
VAN
BOS
  1. 2026 7th round pick (MIN)
MIN
BOS
  1. 2024 7th round pick (DAL)
DAL
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the MIN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
17$87,700,000$66,790,834$50,000$330,000$20,909,166
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$6,125,000$6,125,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C, RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$11,250,000$11,250,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 7
$2,300,000$2,300,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$4,750,000$4,750,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$787,500$787,500
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C, RW
RFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
C
RFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LD
NTC, NMC
UFA - 6
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 6
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$250,000$250K)
LD
RFA - 1
$4,100,000$4,100,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$870,000$870,000 (Performance Bonus$80,000$80K)
C
RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 18 at 3:21 p.m.
You forgot PLD .
dons_weeney liked this.
May 18 at 3:31 p.m.
DAL already has that defensman in Harley, and Harley will only get better
May 18 at 3:36 p.m.
Unless it's McAvoy for Hintz or something like that, it's just not gonna work. I know you already know that, but just saying.

I feel like if they wanted Lindholm, they would've done it at the deadline. Crazy they didn't.

I don't really feel the others are 1Cs. Maybe Rossi can grow in to it.

Necas is probably the safest bet if he can even play center well enough to warrant the risk out of these, I guess

First order of business is to figure out goaltending for BOS to see how much money they'll have to work with honestly
jfkst1 and aedoran liked this.
May 18 at 3:37 p.m.
Osiecki death stare
What is Swayman's expected contract extension looking like?
May 18 at 4:06 p.m.
"Go sell ice cream!"
Lindholm looks like a huge risk to me, but if BOS wants to go all in on this core go ahead. Dallas would only trade Hintz on an overpayment so it would cost an absolute fortune to get. There would be a massive bidding war for him as he has no trade protections until July 1st. Carlo AND Lohrei is around the value of what Nill will want. Sweeney desperately NEEDS a center. Nill doesn't need to trade Hintz. Necas does seem like the best risk to take as he is at least young and has less downside risk and likely won't cost a fortune. Might only be Ullmark with an extension.
May 18 at 4:09 p.m.
Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
You forgot PLD .

And John Tavares fully retained wink
dons_weeney liked this.
May 18 at 4:09 p.m.
Hintz and Johnson seem to be working just fine for Dallas. With Hintz being locked up for the next 7 years and Johnson just coming to the end of his ELC, I'm pretty sure those are the last 2 centers they'd consider moving.
May 18 at 4:14 p.m.
Quoting: jfkst1
Lindholm looks like a huge risk to me, but if BOS wants to go all in on this core go ahead. Dallas would only trade Hintz on an overpayment so it would cost an absolute fortune to get. There would be a massive bidding war for him as he has no trade protections until July 1st. Carlo AND Lohrei is around the value of what Nill will want. Sweeney desperately NEEDS a center. Nill doesn't need to trade Hintz. Necas does seem like the best risk to take as he is at least young and has less downside risk and likely won't cost a fortune. Might only be Ullmark with an extension.

Don’t view Necas as less downside risk than Lindholm especially when you consider likely cost to acquire.

I think the biggest risk is not acquiring anyone. I’d rather go Lindholm and a minimum player than Stephenson and a 2.5m player
dons_weeney and Trmaus12 liked this.
May 18 at 4:55 p.m.
Best armchair GM yet
Quoting: Digitalbooya06
What is Swayman's expected contract extension looking like?

Probably 7 years 7 mil and change
Trmaus12 liked this.
May 18 at 4:57 p.m.
Best armchair GM yet
Quoting: Celtics21
Don’t view Necas as less downside risk than Lindholm especially when you consider likely cost to acquire.

I think the biggest risk is not acquiring anyone. I’d rather go Lindholm and a minimum player than Stephenson and a 2.5m player

Agreed, we all know their current center situation doesn't work, not that it needed to be proven, but I think we can all fully accept an upgrade is needed if they're serious about competing in the playoffs. Pasta is good enough to where they might not need an elite 1c, so someone like Lindholm could be enough for now at least
May 18 at 4:58 p.m.
Lindholm will stay in Van. Likes the city.
May 18 at 5:00 p.m.
Best armchair GM yet

It is a huge risk, but I'd rather take a risk than keep a roster that we know can't win, that's extremely boring lol

I'd be very tempted to trade Carlo and Lohrei for Hintz. It's removing two top four d men, but if they sign Pesce and another left shot, it isn't the end of the world. Carlo and Lohrei are both underrated though so who knows what their value is - although GMs know better lol
May 18 at 5:01 p.m.
Best armchair GM yet
Quoting: Dickie_Dunn
Lindholm will stay in Van. Likes the city.

It's hard to see him staying when VAN already has two centers better than him locked up for years, but I don't doubt he's enjoying his time there. I just don't think Vancouver will get much out of him, other teams like boston ro Nashville would be willing to pay more
May 18 at 8:57 p.m.
"Go sell ice cream!"

I personally think Lindholm is massively overrated and wouldn't be surprised if he was a liability on a big contract from day one offering no on improvement over what BOS has now.
May 18 at 9:26 p.m.
I personally think Lindholm is massively overrated and wouldn't be surprised if he was a liability on a big contract from day one offering no on improvement over what BOS has now.

I personally don’t think that Necas is a center or fits the system and Lindholm is playing better in the playoffs than Necas. To the people that call him overrated, try watching how he’s playing
May 18 at 10:15 p.m.
"Go sell ice cream!"
I personally don’t think that Necas is a center or fits the system and Lindholm is playing better in the playoffs than Necas. To the people that call him overrated, try watching how he’s playing

Necas has potential upside. I do agree he might very well not be optimal at center. However, Lindholm is likely to age decline and has been nothing better than a low end 2C this season. As far as "better in the playoffs" is concerned both have played 11 complete games and Necas has 4 goals and 9 points while Lindholm has 5 goals and 9 points. Meaningless differential, though focusing on a single postseason performance is mindlessly flawed to begin with. Lindholm plays a style that many fans overvalue.
May 18 at 10:32 p.m.
Necas has potential upside. I do agree he might very well not be optimal at center. However, Lindholm is likely to age decline and has been nothing better than a low end 2C this season. As far as "better in the playoffs" is concerned both have played 11 complete games and Necas has 4 goals and 9 points while Lindholm has 5 goals and 9 points. Meaningless differential, though focusing on a single postseason performance is mindlessly flawed to begin with. Lindholm plays a style that many fans overvalue.

As is just paying attention to one season rather than his career. All I’m saying is that his struggles this year (while valid) appear overblown when looking at how he’s playing in the playoffs. Not absolving it, but it certainly provides some context to his skill level

Necas has potential upside. So does PLD if you want to acquire him. If we were acquiring him as a forward, I’d be saying something different. We don’t know how he’ll do on the dot and he hasn’t been a particularly good defender which is very important for this system at center.

All I’m saying is there are risks either way.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll