Forums/Armchair-GM

My Preferred Offseason Moves

Created by: AStovetop
Team: 2024-25 San Jose Sharks
Initial Creation Date: May 8, 2024
Published: May 15, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Overpaying for UFAs on shortish term deals.
- Stephenson I think is a guy who will draw interest from a lot of teams but not many will be able/willing to give him north of 5.5 mil.
- Domi I used the Killorn deal as a very vague comparable, he's younger so I had less term so he goes back to Free Agency if things aren't on track in SJ. Added AAV that most teams likely wouldn't pay for him.
- DeMelo would need to take a discount or WPG would need to shed depth to keep him so a fairly good chance he goes to UFA. Played in SJ for a number of years so there's an appeal. Overpay slightly, would be willing to go up to around 6.25 with him

Unlikely there will be many other big UFA moves other than depth pick ups so I prefer to keep guys around to keep moral high. Roster turnover can have a big affect. DeMelo, Stephenson, and Domi play a hard-nosed yet skilled game that Grier wants. It'll make this team much harder to play against.

Emberson looked really good when healthy and would like to see him stick around. Benning is just a solid 2nd pairing guy. Goal is to be MORE competitive, not trying to make playoffs right away so not making too many changes there.

Sharks have too many of what Bordeleau is bringing to the table and he doesn't really have a future in the squad imo, I think he'd get a better role in NJ. This is a scenario where one of Parekh/Buium/Yakemchuk falls a bit and sharks get a future #1 D at pick 10. Palat hasn't fit the NJ system all that well and has a big cap hit with term for a 33 year old. Not a full on cap dump but i think it would make up the difference in value considering Bords alone would be an overpay to move up only 4 spots.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,250,000
2$1,500,000
3$2,500,000
3$1,150,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$5,500,000
2$7,250,000
3$6,750,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Celebrini, Macklin
3$925,000
Trades
SJS
  1. 2024 6th round pick (OTT)
SJS
  1. Palat, Ondrej
  2. 2024 1st round pick (NJD)
NJD
  1. Bordeleau, Thomas
  2. 2024 1st round pick (PIT)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$87,000,000$72,192,500$0$1,307,500$14,807,500
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW
RFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$1,450,000$1,450,000
RW
RFA - 1
$7,250,000$7,250,000
C, LW
UFA
Celebrini, Macklin
$925,000$925,000
$6,750,000$6,750,000
C, RW
UFA
$918,333$918,333
LW
RFA - 3
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RW, C
RFA
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 3
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C
UFA - 1
$867,500$867,500 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
RW
RFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD
RFA
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
UFA
$2,350,000$2,350,000
G
UFA - 1
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LD
UFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RD
UFA - 2
$3,400,000$3,400,000
G
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
LD
RFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RD
RFA
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$8,000,000$8,000,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 15 at 5:00 p.m.
Quoting: SharkTank
I'm not even counting the Holland years when he ran Detroit into the ground.

Yzerman had to clean it up and he was doing it until he went all Kenny Holland signing every UFA with a pulse.

seriously don't understand how some of these GMs have jobs, im not saying id win GM of the year, but like I feel like its not all that hard to understand that signing aging UFAs to 8x8s isn't the best move
May 15 at 5:15 p.m.
Quoting: Letsgosharks
Yeah we made the playoffs 3 years after you guys, of course our rebuild is behind yours. We had a GM in denial for 3 years after that as well.

Also since you want to talk big, sick March and April you guys had to keep your streak going. Clearly your rebuild is going perfectly to plan.

Wings also had a GM in denial the first 3 years. Ken Holland. Sharks in 5 years will be exactly where the wings are now. Enjoy the ride my man.
May 15 at 5:18 p.m.
Stovetop
I hate these moves ngl, paying just to pay is a terrible idea.

keep bords, try to see if he shows his upside this year, play gush for the same reason, not giving our prospects a chance by having UFAs in the way is just a terrible idea. See our issue with the d log jam

I understand you have to sign a few vets to surround the youth with, but not this aggressive. Maybe Stephenson id be fine with if Celebrini and Smith stay in college.

It's literally 3 UFAs on short term deals. I'm all for giving young guys a shot, but you absolutely need to make this team better to develop the young guys currently there. Eklund would have been screwed if they didn't put him on a line with Granlund or Hertl when he was there and healthy.

It's not paying guys just to pay guys. It's creating a hardworking, competitive culture while prospects join the squad full time. The worst thing they can do is let Celebrini come in and play with Bottom 6 guys and other rookies. That's how you destroy a players development.

I like Bords, but he just doesn't look like he'd fit in this roster going forward. If there's one top d-man prospect left at 10 then it would absolutely be worth while to go after them.

This isn't even aggressive. It's 4 new players from outside the current system, all vets who will be here for 1-3 years to be top 6/top 4 players to guide the young guys into those roles as they age out of that role. Again if the Sharks didn't pick up Duke and Granlund last year, Eklund/Zetterlund and other young guys development would have been completely screwed
May 15 at 5:18 p.m.
Quoting: Spaceman
Wings also had a GM in denial the first 3 years. Ken Holland. Sharks in 5 years will be exactly where the wings are now. Enjoy the ride my man.

not saying you are wrong, but we will let the future decide
May 15 at 5:24 p.m.
Quoting: AStovetop
It's literally 3 UFAs on short term deals. I'm all for giving young guys a shot, but you absolutely need to make this team better to develop the young guys currently there. Eklund would have been screwed if they didn't put him on a line with Granlund or Hertl when he was there and healthy.

It's not paying guys just to pay guys. It's creating a hardworking, competitive culture while prospects join the squad full time. The worst thing they can do is let Celebrini come in and play with Bottom 6 guys and other rookies. That's how you destroy a players development.

I like Bords, but he just doesn't look like he'd fit in this roster going forward. If there's one top d-man prospect left at 10 then it would absolutely be worth while to go after them.

This isn't even aggressive. It's 4 new players from outside the current system, all vets who will be here for 1-3 years to be top 6/top 4 players to guide the young guys into those roles as they age out of that role. Again if the Sharks didn't pick up Duke and Granlund last year, Eklund/Zetterlund and other young guys development would have been completely screwed

Fair enough, I would just go 1 top 6 fw, 1 top 4 dman, play bords and gush this year and decide which one to move on from.

Absolutely we need some players to play around our youth. Im all for trading up, I just wouldn't do it while also taking on a cap dump.

We are still going to suck next year

I just think we do something along the lines of:
eklund - granlund - gush
UFA - Celebrini - Zetterlund
Bordeleau - Smith - Someone

My point is, we don't need to bring in 3 forwards to create competition, maybe just 1. Yeah playing a team full of youth isn't ideal at times, but we need to give every prospect a shot, I think that is how we will be most successful.
May 15 at 5:43 p.m.
Stovetop
Fair enough, I would just go 1 top 6 fw, 1 top 4 dman, play bords and gush this year and decide which one to move on from.

Absolutely we need some players to play around our youth. Im all for trading up, I just wouldn't do it while also taking on a cap dump.

We are still going to suck next year

I just think we do something along the lines of:
eklund - granlund - gush
UFA - Celebrini - Zetterlund
Bordeleau - Smith - Someone

My point is, we don't need to bring in 3 forwards to create competition, maybe just 1. Yeah playing a team full of youth isn't ideal at times, but we need to give every prospect a shot, I think that is how we will be most successful.

I can agree with that. I do really want Gushchin to get the chance he deserves but I guess this is a very specific scenario in which we see every year, guys have unbelievable camps and some surprise signings. I could absolutely see Cardwell and Musty pushing for a spot next year out of camp. And having Domi there would be a fantastic 1/2C to slot in if Granlund gets dealt at the deadline. And then a young guy can jump in and take his spot on the wing.

I don't think the sharks should EXPECT to suck next year. They should be pushed to be around the 65-75 point range in the standings (yeah not great, but playing competitive hockey).

I personally think Smith should go back one more year or spend some time in the AHL, but I can certainly see him making the NHL. Again, this would be a scenario in which he wants to go back one more year
May 15 at 6:05 p.m.
I can agree with that. I do really want Gushchin to get the chance he deserves but I guess this is a very specific scenario in which we see every year, guys have unbelievable camps and some surprise signings. I could absolutely see Cardwell and Musty pushing for a spot next year out of camp. And having Domi there would be a fantastic 1/2C to slot in if Granlund gets dealt at the deadline. And then a young guy can jump in and take his spot on the wing.

I don't think the sharks should EXPECT to suck next year. They should be pushed to be around the 65-75 point range in the standings (yeah not great, but playing competitive hockey).

I personally think Smith should go back one more year or spend some time in the AHL, but I can certainly see him making the NHL. Again, this would be a scenario in which he wants to go back one more year

I would love Smith to spend some time in the AHL, it just doesn't seem that these high tier prospects do that anymore.

this post definitely got more hate than it deserved, I think it was just because of how significant the overpay was.

I agree we should be looking to scratch 30 wins next year
May 15 at 6:40 p.m.
Stovetop
I would love Smith to spend some time in the AHL, it just doesn't seem that these high tier prospects do that anymore.

this post definitely got more hate than it deserved, I think it was just because of how significant the overpay was.

I agree we should be looking to scratch 30 wins next year

That's true but you do see it every once in a while. Off the top of my head I think of Wright and Byfield. Laf and Kakko probably should have started in the AHL.

My thought process was more to show that you can overpay three guys who will really help the development and culture of a rebuilding team, take on a cap dump who honestly is stil a very solid player, and STILL be nearly 15 mil under the cap. If it's short term deals it really doesn't matter how much they overpay.

The first big raise will be Zetterlund after next year, then Eklund after that. Everyone else will be three years from now, or will be on bridge deals like Thrun, Shakir, etc. who haven't quite proven themselves yet
Letsgosharks liked this.
May 15 at 6:46 p.m.
That's true but you do see it every once in a while. Off the top of my head I think of Wright and Byfield. Laf and Kakko probably should have started in the AHL.

My thought process was more to show that you can overpay three guys who will really help the development and culture of a rebuilding team, take on a cap dump who honestly is stil a very solid player, and STILL be nearly 15 mil under the cap. If it's short term deals it really doesn't matter how much they overpay.

The first big raise will be Zetterlund after next year, then Eklund after that. Everyone else will be three years from now, or will be on bridge deals like Thrun, Shakir, etc. who haven't quite proven themselves yet

fair enough, it really is hard for me to fathom how much cap flexibility we really have. I am fine with overpaying on the short term. I refuse to do it after 3 years though.

I guess in this situation you will have probably 70m+ in cap space in 3 years, (not including cap going up and other contracts signed). which is obviously enough

I guess really my only concern is giving everyone their fair chance

And to sign people that fit the system and fit the narrative of developing those around them, and very importantly having them actually want to be in San Jose, I think that is crucial for the young players development
May 15 at 9:11 p.m.
RecycleShark
Like these moves overall. Stephenson is a good addition, especially is Couture doesn't come back.

Palat could add veteran leadership. I saw a ACGM post from a NJD fan offerring to trade Palat AND Holtz to the Sharks for a 2nd. I'd take that deal.
May 16 at 5:32 p.m.
Domi isn't worth anything near 6.75 mil AAV.

Just because the Sharks have a lot of cap space doesn't mean they should spend it foolishly.

That's how you become the Red Wings.

No playoffs and no cap space after 5 years of rebuilding.

Speaking of that's how you become the Red Wings.
Look who is thinking about hiring Jeff Blashill as their next coach. Your Sharks lol
Karma is a beautiful thing.
May 16 at 7:00 p.m.
Tank it baby
Quoting: Spaceman
Speaking of that's how you become the Red Wings.
Look who is thinking about hiring Jeff Blashill as their next coach. Your Sharks lol
Karma is a beautiful thing.

It must be great wallowing in mediocrity with no cap space and no playoffs.

Promote your future hall of famers when they're 30.

Sign another 6 UFA's. 🤭

Jamoke. 😆
May 16 at 8:02 p.m.
It must be great wallowing in mediocrity with no cap space and no playoffs.

Promote your future hall of famers when they're 30.

Sign another 6 UFA's. 🤭

Jamoke. 😆

I will die of laughter if the Sharks hire Jeff Blashill. You'll be hearing the word "process" for years while you watch your team get ****tier and ****tier. He even put his magic touch on Tampa. They went from 3 straight cup finals to wildcard team that can't get out of the 1st round with him behind the bench. Trust the process. Haha

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll