Forums/Armchair-GM

Unacceptable

Created by: NucksnOilers
Team: 2024-25 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: May 13, 2024
Published: May 13, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
If we need a upgrade in the top six we have 900k in room to spend at the deadline

Thoughts
We dominated them tonight, if it wasn't for Silovs, the posts and most importantly Skinner we would have won this game easily. Two of those 3 things are unlucky but Skinner has sold us for way too long now, we've given him way too much leash in net and need to make a statement that is job isn't safe. Ceci also isn't a viable top-4 guy either, bring in some younger speed to play next to Nurse. Also fire Ben Schwartz into the sun, fact he's had a job this long is an absolute joke
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$900,000
2$1,150,000
2$850,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,850,000
3$3,000,000
4$4,250,000
1$900,000
1$775,000
2$1,450,000
Trades
MIN
  1. Akey, Beau
  2. 2024 2nd round pick (EDM)
Additional Details:
Not to sure how Wild are looking for RD prospects after Faber but the prospect level of Akey + a 2nd should be enough for Gustavsson
EDM
    If they move out Gibson and would be open to taking on cap for a 1st
    ANA
    1. Campbell, Jack
    2. 2025 1st round pick (EDM)
    EDM
    1. 2024 7th round pick (SJS)
    EDM
    1. 2024 4th round pick (OTT)
    OTT
    1. Kulak, Brett
    Additional Details:
    Saw a mock of this somewhere
    Buyouts
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the NSH
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    21$87,700,000$86,791,667$3,500,000$0$908,333
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
    $5,125,000$5,125,000
    LW, C
    NMC
    UFA - 5
    $12,500,000$12,500,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 2
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    RW, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $1,150,000$1,150,000
    LW, C
    RFA
    $8,500,000$8,500,000
    C, LW
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 1
    $5,125,000$5,125,000
    LW, RW
    NMC
    UFA - 2
    $2,850,000$2,850,000
    LW, C
    UFA
    $2,100,000$2,100,000
    C
    RFA - 1
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    LW, RW
    UFA
    $900,000$900,000
    LW, RW
    UFA
    $900,000$900,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $775,000$775,000
    RW
    UFA
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2
    $3,900,000$3,900,000
    RD
    RFA - 1
    Logo of the Minnesota Wild
    $3,750,000$3,750,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $9,250,000$9,250,000
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 6
    $4,250,000$4,250,000
    RD
    UFA
    $2,600,000$2,600,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $900,000$900,000
    LD
    RFA
    $1,450,000$1,450,000
    RD
    UFA
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $850,000$850,000
    RW, C
    RFA

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    May 13 at 1:49 a.m.
    pmb
    can't wait to see McDavid requesting a trade lol
    May 13 at 1:51 a.m.
    Save Mcdavid
    Quoting: WastingTimeWithTradeNobodyLikes
    can't wait to see McDavid requesting a trade lol

Team played great, Skinner sold. We completely dominated 85% of the game and the bottom 6 was great as well. Canucks converted on every chance they got somehow and Edmonton had the worst luck I've ever seen. Not a team issue, just a goalie issue (plus our d-core could be much much better)
    May 13 at 2:04 a.m.
    How is it seeing your team favorite teams playing aganist each other this year?
    OldNYIfan liked this.
    May 13 at 2:16 a.m.
    Save Mcdavid
    Quoting: FoxYou727
    How is it seeing your team favorite teams playing aganist each other this year?

As an Oilers fan who lives in Vancouver it's hell. I haven't been this stressed in my life and everywhere I go is filled with Canucks support after an Oilers loss which makes it worse, I'm in the middle of Exams right now and I've become more stressed over these games than anything else. Obviously I like the Canucks so I have no issue with their team or fans (since I'm kind of one of them) but seeing everyone you know be completely against your favourite team and players is a tough life to live lmao
    FoxYou727 and OldNYIfan liked this.
    May 13 at 2:17 a.m.
    ................and the four goals that went in. Unfortunately we don't decide NHL games on style points, if we did the Oilers would be unbeatable. We actually decide games by the number of goals a team scores and you scored less so the way it works is you loose. Now the series isn't over. Lots of Hockey left to play and who knows, but tonight, you lost. End of.
    NucksnOilers liked this.
    May 13 at 2:21 a.m.
    Just buy out Campbell, if it's going to cost a 1st to dump him, will have 1.1M less to work with on the year, but need to use the 1sts actually to improve the team. Buying him out would cost 9m in real dollars, I think you could get away with giving up two 2nds to a team like Chicago to do that. If not buy him out.

Gustavsson should be who they target to play in tandem with Skinner. If not him, maybe signing Samsonov to a 3Mx2 deal. Assuming they can dump Ceci and Kulak, 4.25M to Carrier is a no-go, will likely end up hating that contract. Maybe signing Brodie to a 1-year deal (shouldn't cost too much) or Edmundson if he becomes available, shouldn't cost too much, instead of Carrier.

From there, I think the team is set it stone pretty much. You're probably not finding a team that Kane will waive to that wants him. If they could retain 1.75M and move Nurse for a 5 to 6M top 6 F (will have to be an older guy), they'll have the money to spend on a RH replacement.
    NucksnOilers liked this.
    May 13 at 2:23 a.m.
    Save Mcdavid
    Quoting: Dickie_Dunn
    ................and the four goals that went in. Unfortunately we don't decide NHL games on style points, if we did the Oilers would be unbeatable. We actually decide games by the number of goals a team scores and you scored less so the way it works is you loose. Now the series isn't over. Lots of Hockey left to play and who knows, but tonight, you lost. End of.

Lmao as said in the post we lost due to one major factor, goaltending. Not saying it's unfair Vancouver won, it makes total sense they did, they have actual goaltending and a defensive structure. Refs were completely fair both ways imo I just thought our 5v5 game was much better and Vancouver only won since they had goaltending and we didn't (which is a team issue) our d corps have also proven to be much worse in comparison to Vancouver in many ways as well so that was also fixed in the ACGM. Also as an Oilers fan I don't like being a pessimist but this series feels pretty over to me, Skinner can't make a save, we have the worst luck possible and the Canucks haven't even played to their full potential again. Once Hughes and Petey wake up it'll be 10X harder
    May 13 at 2:23 a.m.
    Quoting: NucksnOilers
    As an Oilers fan who lives in Vancouver it's hell. I haven't been this stressed in my life and everywhere I go is filled with Canucks support after an Oilers loss which makes it worse, I'm in the middle of Exams right now and I've become more stressed over these games than anything else. Obviously I like the Canucks so I have no issue with their team or fans (since I'm kind of one of them) but seeing everyone you know be completely against your favourite team and players is a tough life to live lmao

Woof, hope people aren't being that much of a-holes to you, obviously playful banter part of being a fan but still can be annoying. glad I'm not on Twitter/X since ppl on there can get under my nerves

Also good luck on your exams, you got this bro
    NucksnOilers and OldNYIfan liked this.
    May 13 at 2:25 a.m.
    Save Mcdavid
    Quoting: GMBL
    Just buy out Campbell, if it's going to cost a 1st to dump him, will have 1.1M less to work with on the year, but need to use the 1sts actually to improve the team. Buying him out would cost 9m in real dollars, I think you could get away with giving up two 2nds to a team like Chicago to do that. If not buy him out.

Gustavsson should be who they target to play in tandem with Skinner. If not him, maybe signing Samsonov to a 3Mx2 deal. Assuming they can dump Ceci and Kulak, 4.25M to Carrier is a no-go, will likely end up hating that contract. Maybe signing Brodie to a 1-year deal (shouldn't cost too much) or Edmundson if he becomes available, shouldn't cost too much, instead of Carrier.

From there, I think the team is set it stone pretty much. You're probably not finding a team that Kane will waive to that wants him. If they could retain 1.75M and move Nurse for a 5 to 6M top 6 F (will have to be an older guy), they'll have the money to spend on a RH replacement.

Out of curiosity why so hesitant on Carrier? All the stats say he's much better than Ceci and the other players you mentioned and he would be a good fit next to Nurse. My other option for that spot would be Demelo for the same price
    May 13 at 2:32 a.m.
    Ktownchef
    Team played great, Skinner sold. We completely dominated 85% of the game and the bottom 6 was great as well. Canucks converted on every chance they got somehow and Edmonton had the worst luck I've ever seen. Not a team issue, just a goalie issue (plus our d-core could be much much better)

Your bottom 6 has done zip in this series. Yes you dominated the shot clock the last few games but you've had to play the wheels off of Draisaitl, McDavid, Ekholm, Bouchard and Hyman to do it. Nearly half your forwards played less then 10 minutes tonight. Good luck with that come game 6 or 7.
    May 13 at 2:54 a.m.
    Out of curiosity why so hesitant on Carrier? All the stats say he's much better than Ceci and the other players you mentioned and he would be a good fit next to Nurse. My other option for that spot would be Demelo for the same price

I'm not too familiar with Carrier, since I've only started to hear about him last year, before that I knew of him as just another guy. At most, he's had 3 good years though (let me know how many of those years he's been a top 4 option if you know), which isn't bad considering his age but the Oilers can't afford to get that signing wrong and I just have a feeling it would (as an Oiler). DeMelo is a more safe bet based on track record I think, although he is 31 so there's the risk of him falling off fast, but he'll probably sign for 4-years, while Carrier I think at least gets 5. I would also add that going from Winnipeg to Edmonton is probably smaller change than Nashville to Edmonton. The only big change is probably a bit more media coverage and the pressure of playing with superstars like McDavid and Draisaitl. The other two guys I mentioned would just be cheap band-aid solutions, until they can find a better solution via trade (so far the big trades have worked out better than the signings) or FA next year
    May 13 at 3:54 a.m.
    Anaheim would want well more than a 1st for taking a division foes horrid contract
    May 13 at 5:01 a.m.
    That loss falls on Skinner, without question. With that being said, man was that officiating bad. I have come to expect horrible officiating at this point, but I was legitimately in disbelief at the “crosscheck” call on Nurse that led to a VAN goal, as well as the fact that EDM didn’t get a PP from Zadorov’s stunt at the bench with Kane. I couldn’t believe it. Nonetheless, Skinner needs to get out of his head and play better. There’s no other way around it.

Also, EDM needs to stop taking time and dusting off the puck when they’re possessing it. Move it quickly and with conviction and VAN will have trouble defending. They’ll get far less hits in as well. That really goes for everyone, but 97 and 29. They can lug it all they want because magic happens, but everyone else needs to move the puck and move their damn feet. Too many passengers and not enough contributors working.

Lastly, for the life of me, I do not understand while EDM cycles so high in the zone. Constantly in the top corners of the zone. That’s exactly where VAN wants them, away from the net and at the blue line where high danger passes can be forced as EDM D is stationary. Put on your hard hat, move your feet, and cycle down low. I understand cycling and then PASSING low to high, but carrying it up to the top corners of the zone and thinking that’s where a play is to be made is mind numbing.

I have faith in this team.
    NucksnOilers liked this.
    May 13 at 5:13 p.m.
    pmb

D-core is weak
    May 13 at 9:09 p.m.
    Save Mcdavid
    Quoting: WastingTimeWithTradeNobodyLikes
    D-core is weak

It's just the Nurse - Ceci pair, at this point it can't be denied that Ekholm - Bouchard is elite and Kulak - Desharnais has worked well as a bottom pairing. Nurse - Ceci are not a playoff level pairing in the slightest.
    May 13 at 9:12 p.m.
    pmb
    It's just the Nurse - Ceci pair, at this point it can't be denied that Ekholm - Bouchard is elite and Kulak - Desharnais has worked well as a bottom pairing. Nurse - Ceci are not a playoff level pairing in the slightest.

thats your whole second pair lol. and one makes 9,250 millions. thats a pretty big problem if you want my opinion.
    NucksnOilers liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll