SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2024 2025 Offseason Discussion Part 1: Kill or Be Killed

May 17 at 8:40 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Gonna be very interesting to see how Berube utilizes his better offensive weapons

As while STL had nice forwards non were on par with Willy or Matthews

As in all his time there nobody in STL hit 40 goals with Kyrou being the closest at 37

He's probs seeing Matthews pedigree and scoring and going thank you lord lul
May 17 at 10:07 p.m.
average joe
Swayman just let in a goal for Boston (GWG with <2 min. left) that was probably just as bad if not worse than any Samsonov let in.
I don't think he will be traded for, but It likely cost him big bucks.
Anyways - every game in 6 the game series had Florida having more PP's than the Bruin. 28 PP's to 16 overall (that's average 2 PP's per game.
I am a bit surprised there is not more talk of the new Leafs coach. I suspect its fear of getting our hopes up.
May 17 at 10:21 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 17 at 10:33 p.m.
Quoting: Messier99
Swayman just let in a goal for Boston (GWG with <2 min. left) that was probably just as bad if not worse than any Samsonov let in.
Anyways - every game in 6 the game series had Florida having more PP's than the Bruin. 28 PP's to 16 overall (that's average 2 PP's per game.
I am a bit surprised there is not more talk of the new Leafs coach. I suspect its fear of getting our hopes up.

Doubtful as he had himself a season and stole the starting job from Ullmark. One bad goal dont take much away. If it did so many goalies wouldnt be getting paid lul

Guys getting paid or things gonna get very ugly

Already went to arb and took a discount

Expect Ullmark to be traded to EDM or something and for Swayman to get 6m x 6 years or something

And new coach is cool and all but not much to say rn as training camp aint for a long time lul. The focus is whats this team gonna look like by the time camp starts

As after watching FLA we got a lot of work to do especially in net.
May 17 at 10:36 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
So I remembered MIN may be looking at a Rossi move and honestly if you could package something around the 23 OA pick would not be against it
May 17 at 10:57 p.m.
Amirov Forever
I wonder if Utah would trade Hayton for Liljegren?
May 18 at 12:33 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 18 at 3:32 p.m.
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05

Why you got to do Liligren dirty that way lul

Look at the season Hayton had

Probs can get him cheap without losing liligren

Rather try Rossi for Liligren
May 18 at 1:06 p.m.
hey look a squirrel

Liljegren has to have more value than that, to me anyway
May 18 at 9:45 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
After seeing the report from Serevalli and Friedman on Zadorov

1. I told yah he was gonna ask for 5m + (wants 6m x 6 years)

and

2. While he's a big physical net front clearer is not worth that. Just extend Edmundson or pursue Dillon
Trickster liked this.
May 18 at 10:02 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: aadoyle
After seeing the report from Serevalli and Friedman on Zadorov

1. I told yah he was gonna ask for 5m + (wants 6m x 6 years)

and

2. While he's a big physical net front clearer is not worth that. Just extend Edmundson or pursue Dillon

He can ask that all he wants. Not even Trev is dumb enough to give that to him
aadoyle and Trickster liked this.
May 18 at 10:08 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 18 at 10:16 p.m.
Quoting: Random2152

Yep but knowing this league's love for these kinds of Dman someones gonna do it

Like someone gave Holl 3.4m to sit in a pressbox

Would not surprise me if Zadorov gets 5m x 5 years heck Van's considering it lul
Trickster liked this.
May 19 at 2:54 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
idea.jpg

Just an idea been working on for a bit

Marner goes to SEA. Robertson VGK. Liligren Utah

Brad goes out in FA and gets Walker, Shattenkirk, Stolarz

Brings back Bertuzzi and Domi and there yah have it
May 19 at 10:41 a.m.
idea.jpg

Just an idea been working on for a bit

Marner goes to SEA. Robertson VGK. Liligren Utah

Brad goes out in FA and gets Walker, Shattenkirk, Stolarz

Brings back Bertuzzi and Domi and there yah have it

This is SO brutal
RipNasty liked this.
May 19 at 2:08 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 19 at 2:13 p.m.
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
This is SO brutal

Its better than last year's leafs lul

Dcore is improved significantly especially puck moving wise, goaltending is kept pretty much the same, and the forward group does not downgrade much if at all

Leafs cant fix everything in one offseason. This years focus should be Dcore next year when JT retires or leaves goal is forward group
May 19 at 2:13 p.m.
Amirov Forever
This is SO brutal

It's not bad, it's just not even remotely a Treliving team. So, so, so soft
May 19 at 2:23 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 19 at 2:35 p.m.

The thing is this though TOR ran with tough and what did Brad say in his presser after the R1 loss

"We didn't score enough goals" and basically talked about them not doing the unsexy things enough like getting in front of the net or scoring greasy goals.

Besides Domi, Bertuzzi, Oleksiak, McCabe, Dewar, Jarnkrok, and Reaves when he gets in dont make it soft at all lul

One big issue of TOR in the playoffs was puck movement. Dman besides Rielly and Liligren struggled bad. Thats where Oleksiak comes in 6'6 and can move the puck. The other was the PP specifically QB. TOR needs someone a bit more PP specialized but not over the top like Klingberg or Barrie. Thats where Shattenkirk comes in. BOS unit scored a bunch of goals with him on it against us. Whitecloud's a guy on a good contract and is more of a defensive D who I think would work well with Rielly and also good puck mover. Can always substitute for Tanev who is having himself a playoffs but is also much much older to

Cause lets be real goals and points dont just have to come just from forwards.

But the biggest thing in the end for TOR is this even if you move Marner you cant fix everything in one offseason. Its gonna take 2. Once JT leaves in FA then you can go get the other guys like Bennett
May 19 at 2:39 p.m.

It's rough. We don't really address anything at all and sacrifice an legitimately elite player.

Still without a long-term 2C option. Right side on D is HORRENDOUS, and offensive core takes a hit... It's bad.
RipNasty liked this.
May 19 at 2:44 p.m.
Its better than last year's leafs lul

Dcore is improved significantly especially puck moving wise, goaltending is kept pretty much the same, and the forward group does not downgrade much if at all

Leafs cant fix everything in one offseason. This years focus should be Dcore next year when JT retires or leaves goal is forward group

Lol no, it's not.

Going from a 100 point Selke candidate to Oliver Bjorkstrand is a major hit

D-core is still underwhelming to say the least.
RipNasty liked this.
May 19 at 2:47 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 19 at 4:42 p.m.
It's rough. We don't really address anything at all and sacrifice an legitimately elite player.

Still without a long-term 2C option. Right side on D is HORRENDOUS, and offensive core takes a hit... It's bad.

Whose gonna trade a good Center for Marner. Even with Marner's pedigree nobody is gonna trade a young C or even a top 6 C for a pending UFA RW unless its someone underperforming horribly or is old as hell.

We hoping for PLD for Marner pls god no

Right side also aint bad

Walker, Whitecloud, and Shattenkirk are good RD what you want us to go overpay for Montour, Roy and Pesce thought we didnt want that.

As said before we cant fix everything in one offseason its probs gonna take 2.
May 19 at 2:48 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 19 at 4:32 p.m.
Lol no, it's not.

Going from a 100 point Selke candidate to Oliver Bjorkstrand is a major hit

D-core is still underwhelming to say the least.

Pending UFA 90 point former 1 time Selke candidate RW who in playoffs disappears and who controls his trade destination thanks to the NMC and is gonna ask for a raise next offseason (11.5-12.5m)

That often limits the return considering if we look at the last pending UFA Guentzel look what he got back.

2 years of Bjorkstrand and Oleksiak + a 2025 1st is not a bad return and will probs be better than what they actually get

Like lets be real were probs gonna get at most if were lucky 75 cents to the dollar on any marner trade. We aint gonna win it unless he really drops off and the guys we get take their games to the extreme. If we traded him last year return would have been far greater.

The end goal of this trade was to address 2 holes now then when JT leaves address the rest later
May 20 at 12:24 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: Messier99

Swayman was absolutely stellar in the playoffs. Comparing him to Sammy is ridiculous. Sammy had 1 decent game and let in bad goals in every other start he had. I doubt Sammy gets a multi year offer from anyone, someone may offer him a 2.5 for 1 year. But he very well could be in the KHL soon. He isn't good.
May 20 at 12:25 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: Random2152

He absolutely is dumb enough. He would offer him 6 even if no one else offered him 5.
May 20 at 12:32 p.m.
Rip
Whose gonna trade a good Center for Marner. Even with Marner's pedigree nobody is gonna trade a young C or even a top 6 C for a pending UFA RW unless its someone underperforming horribly or is old as hell.

Right side also aint bad

Walker, Whitecloud, and Shattenkirk are good RD what you want us to go overpay for Montour, Roy and Pesce thought we didnt want that.

Why? Because trolls on this site say so? The morons that populate internet forums are not NHL GM's. Listening to the legions of losers who are drooling at that thought of TO losing a Marner trade by a huge margin is a very bad way at determining value. In the real world, there are 31 NHL teams that would move a lot of pieces around to add a 27 year old Elite Top 5 RW. If they don't, don't trade him. Because giving away Marner to sign older plugs isn't going to make the team better. Having a game plan that doesn't call for 4 players in offensive zone to skate around the outside of the zone hoping to eventually find a shot in the slot. Teams scoring playoff goals have multiple players in the crease. The Leafs never do and that's by design. It's how they play all season and how they always played under Keefe. Berube's teams scored in the playoffs. So hopefully that continues but gives the Leafs offensive players much better results.
May 20 at 12:47 p.m.
Rip

Right side also aint bad

I think paying Pesce or Roy, would be a much better than trading Marner for guys on the wrong side of 30. Oleksiuk isn't even that good.

Keep Marner, go young at forward and invest in some decent RD......unless you find a suitable Marner trade.
May 20 at 1:20 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: RipNasty
I think paying Pesce or Roy, would be a much better than trading Marner for guys on the wrong side of 30. Oleksiuk isn't even that good.

Keep Marner, go young at forward and invest in some decent RD......unless you find a suitable Marner trade.

Oleksiak is good. Can play both sides, move the puck and will cost less than Roy or Pesce and put up the same totals

And no to keeping Marner 2 + 2 does not = 5 we keep trying to tell yah that
May 20 at 1:22 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Very much in the "doesn't matter" category but the new ECHL team in Bloomington IL is going to announce NHL affiliation shortly. Given the collapse of the Growlers it makes sense for Toronto to be involved.

Really regretting not getting a Liljegren Growlers jersey. I know a handful of people did and damn are they ever going to be rare now

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll