SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/St. Louis Blues

Armstrong says it will be difficult but he will explore options...

May 9, 2017 at 4:28 p.m.
Lets Go Blues
Edited May 9, 2017 at 4:52 p.m.
...to upgrade at the center position.

Realistically, what do y'all think he could pull off? We have depth at LW and could move LD depending on the progress of Dunn, Walman, Lindbohm.

Nobody lets a 1C go without grabbing a huge return (and I don't want to lose Parayko or Fabbri)... so should he go after a solid NHL 2C (Tyler Johnson, Adam Henrique, Nugent-Hopkins, etc.)?

What about someone drafted in 2015 or 2016 that is almost NHL ready and has a super-high ceiling (Clayton Keller(!), Mike McCleod, Tyson Jost)? These guys probably aren't easily available, but on a rebuilding team, our 1st rounders could be enticing, along with our recent picks (Thompson, Kyrou).

Or, what about waiting on Thompson & Barbashev to take over as top 6 centers and drafting another center this year that could use less time to develop than Tage...

I'd love to hear some thoughts, and not "Army sucks and won't do anything".
Jun. 10, 2017 at 6:26 p.m.
Isles For Life
Quoting: AK_tune

Realistically, what do y'all think he could pull off? We have depth at LW and could move LD depending on the progress of Dunn, Walman, Lindbohm.

Nobody lets a 1C go without grabbing a huge return (and I don't want to lose Parayko or Fabbri)... so should he go after a solid NHL 2C (Tyler Johnson, Adam Henrique, Nugent-Hopkins, etc.)?

What about someone drafted in 2015 or 2016 that is almost NHL ready and has a super-high ceiling (Clayton Keller(!), Mike McCleod, Tyson Jost)? These guys probably aren't easily available, but on a rebuilding team, our 1st rounders could be enticing, along with our recent picks (Thompson, Kyrou).

Or, what about waiting on Thompson & Barbashev to take over as top 6 centers and drafting another center this year that could use less time to develop than Tage...

I'm still in shock they don't have Backes. I'd personally sign Thornton this off-season to a 1-year contract being that we're still in that really trying to win phase. Of course, for long-term, the Nuge would be a great option for the 2nd line. I feel like we should draft a promising Center and use Thornton to a 1 or 2-year rental contract to let him develop, or if we don't want a star center this year than the Nuge or maybe even Mr. Overrated himself Jordan Staal. He's still young (well, not really old), can still play 2C and doesn't have too much trade value. He could be acquired easily with a 1st rounder and a cheap prospect or two.
Jun. 30, 2017 at 12:13 a.m.

I guess trading for Braydenn Schenn was their answer? Otherwise maybe they could sign Hanzal who won over 56% of his faceoffs besides having decent offensive numbers probably more 3rd or 2nd line than 1st. Gagner or Bonino might be interesting options as well depending. I think Jumbo Joe wants at least 3 years supposedly so that will make it harder for any team taking a gamble on him depending on his price tag. I figured he would be 9 or 10 million over 3 years, read a story claiming he might only cost 6M for 3 years. Boyle could be a nice option for PK or like 3rd/4th line center with a lot of size making him hard to handle... Kings had trouble with him on Rangers in the SCF.
Jul. 1, 2017 at 6:58 a.m.
Quoting: Daoloth

I guess trading for Braydenn Schenn was their answer? Otherwise maybe they could sign Hanzal who won over 56% of his faceoffs besides having decent offensive numbers probably more 3rd or 2nd line than 1st. Gagner or Bonino might be interesting options as well depending. I think Jumbo Joe wants at least 3 years supposedly so that will make it harder for any team taking a gamble on him depending on his price tag. I figured he would be 9 or 10 million over 3 years, read a story claiming he might only cost 6M for 3 years. Boyle could be a nice option for PK or like 3rd/4th line center with a lot of size making him hard to handle... Kings had trouble with him on Rangers in the SCF.

I'm a pens fan and love Bonino, but he's not 1st or 2nd center. He's an amazing 3rd, but he doesn't have the offensive skills you want to play above that, unless your hurting for a center. Stastny and Schenn are both better offensively, and Berglund can be as well. Bonino does play up to his wingers very well though. Hanzal would make the most cents to me, out of free agency. Gagner is just too streaky to bank on, unless the price is right. Coming off of 50 pts, it won't be.

I think via trades there are a lot of centers that can be had but are mostly #2 center. Even Nugent-Hopkins and Duchese scored less the bother StL top 2 centers.
Jul. 4, 2017 at 5:44 a.m.
Quoting: Ess
Quoting: Daoloth

I'm a pens fan and love Bonino, but he's not 1st or 2nd center. He's an amazing 3rd, but he doesn't have the offensive skills you want to play above that, unless your hurting for a center. Stastny and Schenn are both better offensively, and Berglund can be as well. Bonino does play up to his wingers very well though. Hanzal would make the most cents to me, out of free agency. Gagner is just too streaky to bank on, unless the price is right. Coming off of 50 pts, it won't be.

I think via trades there are a lot of centers that can be had but are mostly #2 center. Even Nugent-Hopkins and Duchese scored less the bother StL top 2 centers.

Yeah Bonino, Gagner, along with Hanzal all got pretty hefty contracts... I think it makes the Eaves deal for Ducks look at lot better when compared to them. Blues surprised me a bit last year, people were always trashing Yeo blaming him for Minnesota failing in Playoffs... They traded Shattenkirk while having a key player injured so thought they would be the team to fall out of Post Season... Then they beat the Kings like March 13th so knew LA was basically done then. Jets were so far out, had a streak good enough to pass LA so that was pretty impressive if nothing else. Schenn was traded away by Kings so will be interesting to see them facing him more in West or possible Playoffs if make it back there. Nugent isn't that old though seems like he has been around for a long time already... Hear they are trying to get a big package for Duchese or least young D-men from Carolina.

Players tend to cash in when teams win championships but don't usually do that well on the new teams with a high payout. I think Penguins got what they could from pretty much all the players they lost so can't complain about that really. Kings let Williams walk when he won MVP for their last cup which was a mistake in contrast since he had good seasons after that. Yet they signed Greene to 10M 4 year deal having to buy him out when it was clear he was injury prone/done. They let Willie Mitchell walk which got him a payday in Florida though didn't turn out that great for Panthers.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll