SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Boston Bruins

2017 Boston Bruins Offseason Discussion Thread

May 3, 2017 at 5:51 p.m.
BreKel
Anything related to the Bruins off-season, post it here!
May 3, 2017 at 11:53 p.m.
We're most likely having a quiet offseason and staying young but I want to throw some players out there. Just give me feedback on if we could get em for a reasonable price or something you're willing to give up.

P.s I rather let the kids play.

Washington:
Andre Burakovsky or Yevgeny Kuznetsov (unrealistic just a fan of the player)

New York Islanders:
Adners Lee (w/ De Haan or alone)
Josh Bailey (w/ De Haan or alone)
Calvin De Haan (alone)

Vancouver:
Sven Baertschi

Philadelphia:
Brayden Schenn

Carolina:
Teuvo Teräväinen

As far as Colorado. What is the exact asking price for Landeskog? I'm willing to make the trade as long as we don't give up McAvoy or Carlo. Would they take Ryan Lindgren, Jacob Zoboril or Jeremy Lauzon with a pick added? Forgive me if I'm being to unrealistic. Just fun ideas I thought about.
May 3, 2017 at 11:58 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Number 1 thing they need to do: add a number 1 defenseman.
Number 2 thing they need to do: add a number 2 defenseman.
May 4, 2017 at 8:12 a.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan

I don't really feel that way. Boston has young defensemen that could come up and contribute. They're 2 for 2 so far. Why not give it one more try?
May 4, 2017 at 8:36 a.m.
BreKel

Worry about the Rangers and Isles lmfao......

You post this on every post, and get told the same thing every time. Stop spamming every thread with the same type of post.
May 4, 2017 at 9:15 p.m.
Sensible Commentary

HMMMMMMMMMM

(Of course, this is a writer at The Hockey News and not somebody like Bob McKenzie or Elliotte Friedman, but still a possibly credible rumor as opposed to something from, like, RumorBreak or MyNHLInsider or whatever.)
May 4, 2017 at 11:09 p.m.
Quoting: DragonRaptorHybrid

HMMMMMMMMMM

(Of course, this is a writer at The Hockey News and not somebody like Bob McKenzie or Elliotte Friedman, but still a possibly credible rumor as opposed to something from, like, RumorBreak or MyNHLInsider or whatever.)

A package including Mike Cammaleri? Package for Sven Baertschi? Or most likely just draft picks for spooner straight up lol
May 5, 2017 at 7:50 a.m.
BreKel
Quoting: bonanca32
Quoting: DragonRaptorHybrid

HMMMMMMMMMM

A package including Mike Cammaleri? Package for Sven Baertschi? Or most likely just draft picks for spooner straight up lol

Here are some pieces from each team I'd be interested in:

Vegas: Give them Spooner for a late round pick AND an agreement that they select Beleskey/McQuaid in the expansion draft

Vancouver: Ben Hutton (would need to add, probably not realistic with Tryamkin leaving), Jake Virtanen (would want VAN adding a bit to this one. He's failed so far). draft picks 2nd

New Jersey: Miles Wood (not sure they'd move him but I'd inquire), BOS 2017 2nd Round Pick

Quickly off the top of my head without really looking into their situations, minus Vegas since they don't really have much to trade lol
May 5, 2017 at 8:15 a.m.
Quoting: BreKel

Here are some pieces from each team I'd be interested in:

Vegas: Give them Spooner for a late round pick AND an agreement that they select Beleskey/McQuaid in the expansion draft

Vancouver: Ben Hutton (would need to add, probably not realistic with Tryamkin leaving), Jake Virtanen (would want VAN adding a bit to this one. He's failed so far). draft picks 2nd

New Jersey: Miles Wood (not sure they'd move him but I'd inquire), BOS 2017 2nd Round Pick

Quickly off the top of my head without really looking into their situations, minus Vegas since they don't really have much to trade lol

Vegas - Takes Beleskey in the draft and then VGK and BOS does Spooner + Dobby for 5th

Vancouver - Give me Demko + Virtanen for Spooner. Demko can slide in as the back-up with HUGE potential and Virtanen is a hailmary, lets see if it clicks

New Jersey - Jon Merrill would be a great addition to the blue line on the left side.
TheTown liked this.
May 5, 2017 at 9:30 a.m.
BreKel
Quoting: ON3M4N
Vegas - Takes Beleskey in the draft and then VGK and BOS does Spooner + Dobby for 5th

Would drool over a deal like that. Two bad contracts off the books, and McIntyre or a cheaper (and more consistent) veteran backup goalie in on a 1 year deal. I would lean towards Zane though.

Quote:
Vancouver - Give me Demko + Virtanen for Spooner. Demko can slide in as the back-up with HUGE potential and Virtanen is a hailmary, lets see if it clicks

Vancouver values Demko extremely high. Can't see them moving him for Spooner on his own, nevermind WITH Virtanen. Even with Benning's shaky trade history, I just don't see him pulling that off without a huge add from Boston. Virtanen for Spooner, like you said, is a hail mary. Virtanen is still young at 21 with limited game + TOI but is looking more like a bust. His AHL numbers are concerning as well. His underlying NHL numbers aren't terrible though.

660:43 Total TOI:
GF/60: 1.91
GA/60: 2.36

oiSV%: 91.53
CF%: 50.1
Zone starts are around 50% O to D zone.

Not great, but not terrible. Maybe a serious case of a change of scenery. He'd be a young right shot RW with upside coming into a system that may benefit him. Worst case, you get a player who fits a bottom 6 role better than Spooner does. Virtanen can skate and hit. He has offensive tools to be a stud top 6 forward in this league, but for whatever the reason, it isn't clicking in Vancouver. I'd like a small add from VAN, but honestly, I wouldn't complain one bit for a 1 for 1.

Quote:
New Jersey - Jon Merrill would be a great addition to the blue line on the left side.

Wasn't he non-tendered by NJD last year? I think they did it with an agreement he'd re-sign regardless there. On Merrill, he's already 25 and unless he has another level of growth, he seems like he is what he is...A bottom 6 on a good team, and a top 4 on a bad one. We already have a few guys in the minors who could fill a bottom 6 defensive pairing role. Personally would look elsewhere for Spooner.
May 5, 2017 at 11:26 a.m.

Would drool over a deal like that. Two bad contracts off the books, and McIntyre or a cheaper (and more consistent) veteran backup goalie in on a 1 year deal. I would lean towards Zane though.

Quote:

Vancouver values Demko extremely high. Can't see them moving him for Spooner on his own, nevermind WITH Virtanen. Even with Benning's shaky trade history, I just don't see him pulling that off without a huge add from Boston. Virtanen for Spooner, like you said, is a hail mary. Virtanen is still young at 21 with limited game + TOI but is looking more like a bust. His AHL numbers are concerning as well. His underlying NHL numbers aren't terrible though.

660:43 Total TOI:
GF/60: 1.91
GA/60: 2.36

oiSV%: 91.53
CF%: 50.1
Zone starts are around 50% O to D zone.

Not great, but not terrible. Maybe a serious case of a change of scenery. He'd be a young right shot RW with upside coming into a system that may benefit him. Worst case, you get a player who fits a bottom 6 role better than Spooner does. Virtanen can skate and hit. He has offensive tools to be a stud top 6 forward in this league, but for whatever the reason, it isn't clicking in Vancouver. I'd like a small add from VAN, but honestly, I wouldn't complain one bit for a 1 for 1.

Quote:

Wasn't he non-tendered by NJD last year? I think they did it with an agreement he'd re-sign regardless there. On Merrill, he's already 25 and unless he has another level of growth, he seems like he is what he is...A bottom 6 on a good team, and a top 4 on a bad one. We already have a few guys in the minors who could fill a bottom 6 defensive pairing role. Personally would look elsewhere for Spooner.

VAN - I'm sure they are higher on Demko, but we have to remembers that goalies don't hold their value nearly as much as skaters do. Benning was here when we drafted Subban and I think he was a huge fan of his. I'd even be willing to throw Subban in the deal and basically flip goalies.

NJ - I've always just like Merrill's game. Defense is the hardest position to learn so I don't want to say that he has another level, but I also don't want to say that he doesn't
May 5, 2017 at 11:37 a.m.
BreKel
VAN - I'm sure they are higher on Demko, but we have to remembers that goalies don't hold their value nearly as much as skaters do. Benning was here when we drafted Subban and I think he was a huge fan of his. I'd even be willing to throw Subban in the deal and basically flip goalies.

NJ - I've always just like Merrill's game. Defense is the hardest position to learn so I don't want to say that he has another level, but I also don't want to say that he doesn't

I was reading the Vancouver Canucks fan reddit b/c they had a post about Spooner with VAN being interested. They don't even want to give up a 2nd round pick for Spooner and some think it only makes sense for VAN if they trade Sutter back lololol

Either we're overvaluing what Spooner could land from VAN or they're just dumb as rocks.......I'm leaning toward the latter haha
May 5, 2017 at 11:53 a.m.

I was reading the Vancouver Canucks fan reddit b/c they had a post about Spooner with VAN being interested. They don't even want to give up a 2nd round pick for Spooner and some think it only makes sense for VAN if they trade Sutter back lololol

Either we're overvaluing what Spooner could land from VAN or they're just dumb as rocks.......I'm leaning toward the latter haha

I'd go with an uneducated VAN base lol. Sutter is a more complete player, but his contract is bad for his role. Someone would give up a 2nd for Spooner because its not easy to find a 40-50 point centerman that can run a PP and has the speed that he does.
May 5, 2017 at 12:06 p.m.
BreKel

I'd go with an uneducated VAN base lol. Sutter is a more complete player, but his contract is bad for his role. Someone would give up a 2nd for Spooner because its not easy to find a 40-50 point centerman that can run a PP and has the speed that he does.

Lol, Yeah, if you can take the contract away Sutter over Spooner but that contract is so bad for what he'd bring. I just don't see a deal to be made unless VAN retains heavily on Sutter, and does that really make sense for them?
May 5, 2017 at 12:21 p.m.

Lol, Yeah, if you can take the contract away Sutter over Spooner but that contract is so bad for what he'd bring. I just don't see a deal to be made unless VAN retains heavily on Sutter, and does that really make sense for them?

Not really. Tthe other problem is he has a NTC, so that throws a monkey wrench into things. I think they need to start by moving the Sedins. They have 1 year left and probably will retire after next season being in their late 30's. Find a team willing to give up assets for discounted Sedin's and start the rebuild. If the Sedin's can find a team that is a serious contender, they might be ok with waiving their NMC. The problem with this idea is they already are retaining on two contract and can only retain on a total of 3. IDK if you can trade retained salary, but if they can, maybe they trade Jensen's 500k retain and then retain 50% on each Sedin for 1 year while they start the rebuild. If you could get the Sedin's for $3.5 million each, teams would line up with offers to try and bring them in for a serious cup run,
BreKel liked this.
May 6, 2017 at 8:54 a.m.
I think its a mix from both sides in terms of undervaluing and over valuing. Spooner should be at the very least worth a 2nd rd pick. I also think that Virtanen + Demko is way too much. Have to think Lazar only pulled a 2nd rd pick and though he doesn't posses the same resume and physical abilities as Virtanen, I think it would be close to the same value. I'd do Spooner for Virtanen straight up if it was proposed.
May 7, 2017 at 8:25 a.m.
I'm sold on the bruins using Zoboril or Lauzon for that 3rd pair LD slot next to Kevin Miller next year. With the way these young kids have came in and played you might as well keep playing the lucky hand. I think Zoboril is the better option because he seems more mature but I haven't kept up recently.

So as far as trading for a defenseman I pass unless the price is in our favor. I have an interesting player to throw into the mix. How about Nikolay Goldobin? Highly skilled, LH, put him on the wing next to Krejci and Pasta and it could be fun to watch. Now I don't know if he's untouchable? If not, what do you say his price is?
May 7, 2017 at 11:04 a.m.
BreKel
I'm sold on the bruins using Zoboril or Lauzon for that 3rd pair LD slot next to Kevin Miller next year. With the way these young kids have came in and played you might as well keep playing the lucky hand. I think Zoboril is the better option because he seems more mature but I haven't kept up recently.

Things may change come camp, but I think Lauzon and Zboril would benefit from starting out in the AHL. Bruins, if they don't acquire a LHD, would be better off going with O'Gara or re-signing Joe Morrow (who looked good in the playoffs) and giving them a legit look in the 3rd pairing LHD spot.

Quote:
So as far as trading for a defenseman I pass unless the price is in our favor. I have an interesting player to throw into the mix. How about Nikolay Goldobin? Highly skilled, LH, put him on the wing next to Krejci and Pasta and it could be fun to watch. Now I don't know if he's untouchable? If not, what do you say his price is?

I'm sure Goldobin wouldn't be moved in a deal for Spooner....Not sure if that's what you're implying with the recent VAN interest in Spooner. I doubt he's untouchable, but I would assume they're not actively looking to move him. VAN seems pretty poised to really start rebuilding there.
May 7, 2017 at 11:20 a.m.

I was a huge Goldobin fan during his draft year. He'd certainly be an interesting option, but IDK if VAN is willing to move him for Spooner.
May 7, 2017 at 12:22 p.m.

I was a huge Goldobin fan during his draft year. He'd certainly be an interesting option, but IDK if VAN is willing to move him for Spooner.

I'm even questioning now why Vancouver is interested in Spooner when they have Markus Granlund who isn't exactly the same player as Spooner but they're pretty similar.

Best team fit to trade Spooner to is Nashville or VGK IMO. I've seen a few mocks with Smith or Wilson coming back the other way.
May 7, 2017 at 12:46 p.m.
BreKel
Quoting: DirtyRebound

I'm even questioning now why Vancouver is interested in Spooner when they have Markus Granlund who isn't exactly the same player as Spooner but they're pretty similar.

Best team fit to trade Spooner to is Nashville or VGK IMO. I've seen a few mocks with Smith or Wilson coming back the other way.

Not really a fan of either contract; Wilson = 3.9M AAV and Smith = 4.25M AAV
May 7, 2017 at 1:35 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

You post this on every post, and get told the same thing every time. Stop spamming every thread with the same type of post.

You said this was about the Bruins offseason, and this is what i think they should do ... sorry about the fact that we disagree.
May 7, 2017 at 2:39 p.m.
BreKel

You said this was about the Bruins offseason, and this is what i think they should do ... sorry about the fact that we disagree.

It's the fact you say it on a lot of your responses. You get told that the Bruins are actually in good shape defensively. But continue to do it. The fact is, #1 and #2 defenseman aren't usually acquired via trade/signed. They're developed. It'd be great if they could go out and get a #1 or a #2 defenseman, but they'll have to give up pieces they shouldn't be giving up for one (Pastrnak, McAvoy). So if they can acquire one without giving either up, great, but it won't happen.
May 8, 2017 at 10:03 a.m.
Quoting: DirtyRebound

I'd rather someone like Austin Watson. Big and physically punishing forward. Can play all 3 forward positions and is sound in a 3 zones. He reminds me of a more physical Riley Nash
TheTown liked this.
May 8, 2017 at 12:11 p.m.
BreKel

I'd rather someone like Austin Watson. Big and physically punishing forward. Can play all 3 forward positions and is sound in a 3 zones. He reminds me of a more physical Riley Nash

He was on waivers this past season, wasn't he? Wouldn't have been a bad grab at all. He's a physical monster. He never passes up a chance to hit.
TheTown liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll