SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Montreal Canadiens

Who should be the Habs main target at the draft?

Apr. 6, 2018 at 8:09 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
Obviously if they get 1st overall, Dahlin is in the bag.

But if MTL don't get first, who should be their target? if they get pick #2-4, I don't know if MTL should take one of the Elite wingers (Zadina/Svechnikov/Tkachuk). They are all left shooting forwards, something MTL clearly have a lot of already. Do they take a Dman? again the top dmen this draft after Dahlin are Right Handed guys (Boqvist, Bouchard, Dobson)..something MTL has in abundance even down the depth chart (Weber, Petry, Juulsen, Brook, Fleury).

I'd like to add that I'm not a huge fan of Hughes, sure he's offensively skilled, but there's still a small part of me that looks at his size (5'9'') and doesn't have that much interest in having MTL's top left handed dman be Mete and Hughes... it would make things too one-dimensional.

Should MTL then trade down? and perhaps target someone that fits a team need (Wahlstrom RW/C, Veleno, Hayton, Lundestrom).
Apr. 7, 2018 at 3:10 p.m.
WentWughes
Even if Montreal went after Hughes hes not projected to be drafted until 8-9. If I was Montreal and I had 4th Overall, I would just trade down from 4th to the 8-9 (As I dont see much difference between 4th-10th in terms of skill). Perhaps something like 10th + 29th (Both Rangers Picks) for 4th Overall if they were interested in doing something like that. With those picks, we could Veleno (Best Center Available in draft) and Jared McIsaac who is a great TWD who isnt afraid to hit.
Apr. 14, 2018 at 9:14 a.m.
GM Game v1 v2
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Even if Montreal went after Hughes hes not projected to be drafted until 8-9. If I was Montreal and I had 4th Overall, I would just trade down from 4th to the 8-9 (As I dont see much difference between 4th-10th in terms of skill). Perhaps something like 10th + 29th (Both Rangers Picks) for 4th Overall if they were interested in doing something like that. With those picks, we could Veleno (Best Center Available in draft) and Jared McIsaac who is a great TWD who isnt afraid to hit.

Honestly this is such a weird draft. The top 4 are really good, and neither of them are centers. I really really hope some lottery magic happens and we get 1st overall, 'cause we'd at least pick for need as well.
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Apr. 14, 2018 at 10:59 a.m.
Molson beer is meh
I honestly think if MTL get #2 or #3 overall, they should trade down a few spots, but I wouldn't go any worse than #8 or 9th overall. Teams like CHI, DET, and NYR with multiple 1st's would be teams I'd target.

but worst case scenario, MTL falls to 7th and then I'd just keep it and draft Wahlstrom. He may or may not be a legit Center, but he still fits a team need for Offensive right shooting forwards. MTL is pretty slim when it comes to RWs (Gallagher, Shaw....Froese, then you have young guys like Bitten and Evans who can play both C and RW)
Apr. 16, 2018 at 2:10 p.m.
Habs
When drafting in the first round, especially near the very top of the draft, teams should never draft based on need. With the 2nd pick, Zadina or Svechnikov should be the choice. Who cares if we have a lot of wingers? Get another one, a possible star no less. Pacioretty's on the move anyway, Galchenyuk might not be long after. Always go best player available.
Apr. 16, 2018 at 6:16 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
Quoting: OpaqueZoo
When drafting in the first round, especially near the very top of the draft, teams should never draft based on need. With the 2nd pick, Zadina or Svechnikov should be the choice. Who cares if we have a lot of wingers? Get another one, a possible star no less. Pacioretty's on the move anyway, Galchenyuk might not be long after. Always go best player available.

I wouldn’t be disappointed if MTL picks Svechnikov or Zadina. But after Dahlin I think the difference in talent from 2-9 is extremely slim. And I think getting Wahlstrom or Bouchard and another top prospect late in the first round could be just as good. Habs need top end talent for sure in their prospect pool, but two is definitely better than one considering the difference between 2-9 isn’t much.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll