SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Overpopulation of Depth Players

Feb. 5, 2018 at 3:00 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Lamoriello is a great GM, but he currently has a log jam of fourth liners. Martin, Moore, Leivo, Soshnikov, Komarov, and Kapanen. The same log jam exists on defense with Carrick, Dermott, Borgman, Rosen and Polak. Honestly, the Leafs front office needs to clear things out.

Idea:
Toronto Maple Leafs
Niklas Hjalmarsson
2018 4th
Arizona Coyotes
Josh Leivo
Calle Rosen
Feb. 5, 2018 at 8:00 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
You've got to add some more to that. Rosen's long term upside is probably just on the third pairing, and Leivo's a top nine forward. Maybe adding one of San Jose's picks, or a guy like Nielsen or Woll gets it done.
Feb. 5, 2018 at 9:38 p.m.
Quoting: DarylthePony
Lamoriello is a great GM, but he currently has a log jam of fourth liners. Martin, Moore, Leivo, Soshnikov, Komarov, and Kapanen. The same log jam exists on defense with Carrick, Dermott, Borgman, Rosen and Polak. Honestly, the Leafs front office needs to clear things out.

Idea:
Toronto Maple Leafs
Niklas Hjalmarsson
2018 4th
Arizona Coyotes
Josh Leivo
Calle Rosen

don't know ho you can consider that there a log jam on defence.. borgman and Dermot are rookies and I would expect long term leafs. carrick is a second year man. polak is retired after this year and Rosen appears to a minor leaguer for any team, Moore for a one year signing is probably retired next season. soshnikov hasn't worked out by is probably in Russian next year. kapanen is destined for big minutes next year after some leaf wingers are not on the team next year. you still need a 50 man pro lineup. not enough for hjalmarsson, but don't know why the leafs should be in the running to acquire him.
but your opening statement, sounds like you don't think the leafs should have any depth. that's a change after the last ten years.
Feb. 5, 2018 at 10:11 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Quoting: clark
don't know ho you can consider that there a log jam on defence.. borgman and Dermot are rookies and I would expect long term leafs. carrick is a second year man. polak is retired after this year and Rosen appears to a minor leaguer for any team, Moore for a one year signing is probably retired next season. soshnikov hasn't worked out by is probably in Russian next year. kapanen is destined for big minutes next year after some leaf wingers are not on the team next year. you still need a 50 man pro lineup. not enough for hjalmarsson, but don't know why the leafs should be in the running to acquire him.
but your opening statement, sounds like you don't think the leafs should have any depth. that's a change after the last ten years.

Guys like Leivo, Kapanen, and Soshnikov deserve more ice time. Nothing wrong with depth, something wrong with an army of unhappy 4th liners.
Feb. 13, 2018 at 4:01 p.m.
Levio Kapanen and Soshnikov are not fourth liners. The leafs were lucky the last two years being healthy. Otherwise these guys are in the top 6 or 9 lighting it up and everyone is talking about getting rid of other players. Komorov is very useful player and an asset to any team not just a fourth liner either.
Feb. 13, 2018 at 4:09 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Quoting: awsomemathews
Levio Kapanen and Soshnikov are not fourth liners. The leafs were lucky the last two years being healthy. Otherwise these guys are in the top 6 or 9 lighting it up and everyone is talking about getting rid of other players. Komorov is very useful player and an asset to any team not just a fourth liner either.

I did not say that their skill is fitting the fourth line. I said Toronto does not have room to make them higher in the lineup. This season, they have all been fourth liners.
Feb. 13, 2018 at 4:21 p.m.
They do have 3 ufa players JVR Komorov and Bozak that will need to be replaced. With the cash crush coming the free agent market is ify at best to replace all three..
palhal liked this.
Feb. 19, 2018 at 9:54 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: awsomemathews
They do have 3 ufa players JVR Komorov and Bozak that will need to be replaced. With the cash crush coming the free agent market is ify at best to replace all three..

Sure is better to have competent replacements in your own system that try to swing a trade or go the expensive UFA market.
Feb. 19, 2018 at 9:56 a.m.
get ur corsi up
Quoting: palhal
Sure is better to have competent replacements in your own system that try to swing a trade or go the expensive UFA market.

JVR= Kapanen
Bozak= Aaltonen
Komarov= Leivo

This would have still left Soshnikov and Martin in the outs. Look what just happened to Soshnikov, guess I was on to something awesome face.
Feb. 19, 2018 at 10:03 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
JVR= Kapanen
Bozak= Aaltonen
Komarov= Leivo

This would have still left Soshnikov and Martin in the outs. Look what just happened to Soshnikov, guess I was on to something awesome face.

It's more what happens next year, if JVR, Bozak, and Komarov and maybe Maritn leave. Leafs might be OK with their replacements. So next year if the Leafs have injuries at the wing position is there any current AHLers , NHL good?
Feb. 19, 2018 at 10:09 a.m.
get ur corsi up
Quoting: palhal
It's more what happens next year, if JVR, Bozak, and Komarov and maybe Maritn leave. Leafs might be OK with their replacements. So next year if the Leafs have injuries at the wing position is there any current AHLers , NHL good?

I don’t see Martin leaving for that exact reason.
Feb. 19, 2018 at 12:03 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I don’t see Martin leaving for that exact reason.

It's too bad, that Martin has been shuffled to the side right now. Well, he's playing he's effective, Who would have thought a few years ago, that the Leafs had too many good players.smile. I feel the same way about Borgman, I think he's an NHLer, it's just a number games now, and if he can more time playing in the AHL, great.
Daryl liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll