SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Other Leagues

Question About IIHF Men's Worlds

May 14 at 6:15 p.m.
go Sharks go
How does a team like Austria come that close to beating Canada? How does Slovakia beat USA? I understand a team/country like Austria might care about this tournament more, but given the US/Canada have all NHL players on their roster I don't get it.
May 14 at 7:08 p.m.
SHL NJD GM
Quoting: SJSGM
How does a team like Austria come that close to beating Canada? How does Slovakia beat USA? I understand a team/country like Austria might care about this tournament more, but given the US/Canada have all NHL players on their roster I don't get it.

Chemistry and fatigue play a huge part, teams like Canada and US have more NHLer’s but they don’t really have chemistry with each other and the NHL season is very exhausting
SJSGM liked this.
May 15 at 10:54 a.m.
go Sharks go
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Chemistry and fatigue play a huge part, teams like Canada and US have more NHLer’s but they don’t really have chemistry with each other and the NHL season is very exhausting

I would think players in Europe would have similarly low levels of chemistry as well though, no?
And NHL season is longer, but a lot of these guys have had a decent break who didn’t make playoffs.
May 15 at 11:01 a.m.
SHL NJD GM
Quoting: SJSGM
I would think players in Europe would have similarly low levels of chemistry as well though, no?
And NHL season is longer, but a lot of these guys have had a decent break who didn’t make playoffs.

Even if the players had a decent break, they are likely still nursing injuries and slightly fatigued, the NHL season leaves no one unscathed. European players tend to be more used to each other but also more open to changing their play-style and coaching recommendations due to playing in lower level leagues
SJSGM liked this.
May 16 at 2:12 p.m.
SHL NJD GM
And Austria just beat Finland in regulation on a buzzer beater
May 16 at 5:16 p.m.
go Sharks go
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
And Austria just beat Finland in regulation on a buzzer beater

yeah that was crazy. Insane play by Austria in the 3rd period in two straight games.
May 21 at 5:57 p.m.
Round robin is over and there were some great games and upsets.

Wish I could have watched Canada-Czechia this morning but NHL Network only showed USA-Latvia; which ended up being an OK game; just not the same level as Canada-Czechia.

Canada and Sweden both undefeated. Germany and USA showing high powered offense but not as tight defensively. Finland not having a good tourney but they can turn it around when it matters.

Latvia was the best of the rest and battled against everyone, Austria looked good until their final game against Great Britain.

Knockout stage begins on Thursday:

Canada vs Slovakia
Switzerland vs Germany
USA vs Czechia
Sweden vs Finland
SJSGM liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll