Forums/Armchair-GM

A realistic leafs off-season

Created by: Morencyy77_
Team: 2024-25 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: May 12, 2024
Published: May 12, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The leafs obviously have to make changes, and although this might be overkill, we’ve seen this group in the playoffs, and it has not succeeded, winning just one game outside of the first round. Trading matthews will shock the world, but will balance out this group, and create some cap space to work with and sign some valuable FA clutch playoff forwards (arvidson) trading marner is an obvious one, u get a top RD, a good young forward that can slide up the lineup if an injury occurs, and a pick. Trading rielly will help bolster the teams offence, and get rid of a defensive liability. After all that, you will make an actual buyers move with a team that’s gonna need to clear some cap. Let bertuzzi walk since he will want a lot. Bring Domi back. Sign cole and dumba for your defence
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$950,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,000,000
4$4,500,000
2$900,000
2$2,100,000
1$1,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$2,000,000
2$3,700,000
5$4,980,000
2$4,500,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Ehlers, Nikolaj
  2. McGroarty, Rutger [Reserve List]
  3. Stanley, Logan [RFA Rights]
  4. Vilardi, Gabriel
  5. 2024 2nd round pick (MTL)
WPG
  1. Matthews, Auston
Additional Details:
Matthews is part of the problem, not clutch enough, yes he is an elite goal scorer but try and balance it out.
TOR
  1. Jones, Seth
  2. Kurashev, Philipp
  3. 2024 2nd round pick (LAK)
CHI
  1. Marner, Mitchell
Additional Details:
Once again balance it out
SEA
  1. Rielly, Morgan
  2. 2024 2nd round pick (LAK)
VGK
  1. McMann, Bobby
  2. Minten, Fraser
  3. 2024 1st round pick (TOR)
  4. 2024 2nd round pick (MTL)
TOR
  1. 2024 5th round pick (VGK)
TOR
  1. 2024 4th round pick (COL)
  2. 2025 4th round pick (COL)
TOR
  1. 2024 5th round pick (OTT)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the COL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$87,700,000$86,730,501$0$0$969,499
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C, RW
UFA
$11,500,000$11,500,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 8
Logo of the Seattle Kraken
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
RFA
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$2,250,000$2,250,000
LW, C, RW
RFA - 1
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$3,437,500$3,437,500
RW, C
RFA - 1
$904,667$904,667
LW, C
RFA - 3
$2,400,000$2,400,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,980,000$4,980,000
RW, LW
UFA
$900,000$900,000
LW, C
RFA
$800,000$800,000
C, LW
RFA - 1
$1,350,000$1,350,000
RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
$5,200,000$5,200,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 6
Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
$766,667$766,667
G
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
UFA
$3,700,000$3,700,000
RD
UFA
$766,667$766,667
G
RFA - 1
$1,350,000$1,350,000
LD
UFA - 3
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LD
RFA

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 12 at 10:45 p.m.
HammerDahn
Lmaoo
Garak and PaulKorea liked this.
May 12 at 10:49 p.m.
Snowhawk
That’s not realistic for Chicago.
ChiHawk, RicXX, Garak and 1 other person liked this.
May 12 at 10:49 p.m.
This team doesn't make the playoffs
May 12 at 10:50 p.m.
Morency
Quoting: Shaun80
This team doesn't make the playoffs

What if they hire Berube? That tandem is so good as well, and they have a ton of depth. Depth wins championships and this current group doesn’t have enough of that. I balanced everyrbing out so instead of having 2 top lines and 2 4th lines you have 3 2nd lines and a 3rd line type thing.
May 12 at 10:51 p.m.
Morency
Quoting: Snowhawk18

Quoting: Snowhawk18

If there’s one way to get off that contract it’s this way. Get a perfect winger for bedsy as well
May 12 at 10:54 p.m.
Quoting: Capfriendlysens88777
What if they hire Berube? That tandem is so good as well, and they have a ton of depth. Depth wins championships and this current group doesn’t have enough of that. I balanced everyrbing out so instead of having 2 top lines and 2 4th lines you have 3 2nd lines and a 3rd line type thing.

You have 3 centers who cant play defense. Anyone who thinks Woll is the savior its just recency bias, he was average all season. And they're both injury prone.
May 12 at 10:54 p.m.
Morency
You have 3 centers who cant play defense. Anyone who thinks Woll is the savior its just recency bias, he was average all season.

Woll was incredible prior to his injury and has been a great playoff goalie. Stats don’t lie
May 12 at 10:57 p.m.
Woll was incredible prior to his injury and has been a great playoff goalie. Stats don’t lie

They don't, when the leafs try to play defensive hockey in the post season woll looks good. Regular season numbers he's an average goalie.
May 12 at 10:59 p.m.
Realistic 🤯😂?! Check for a gas leak bud, this is not even on plant earth
May 12 at 10:59 p.m.
Morency
They don't, when the leafs try to play defensive hockey in the post season woll looks good. Regular season numbers he's an average goalie.

I mean his career reg szn save % is like a .917 I wouldn’t call that average especially seeing how inconsistent even some of the elite goalies are.
May 12 at 11:00 p.m.
Morency
Quoting: MitchJr
Realistic 🤯😂?! Check for a gas leak bud, this is not even on plant earth

What part isn’t realistic and what parts would you change? Like I said, change is needed and this team needs balance and playoff performers.
May 12 at 11:05 p.m.
What part isn’t realistic and what parts would you change? Like I said, change is needed and this team needs balance and playoff performers.

🤦🏻
Leafs aren’t trading him & Matthews doesn’t waive for Winnipeg.
Doubtful Marner waives for Chicago but why would Leafs want Jones’ albatross contract ?
Why do Vegas or Seattle’s make those trades?
Leafs mgmt basically said change is coming but senseless chaos makes no sense; Tre could sign you or me to play 2C and that would be “change” but would it be sensible?
To each their own but really poorly thought out proposals here imo
Mr_Canoehead liked this.
May 12 at 11:08 p.m.
I mean his career reg szn save % is like a .917 I wouldn’t call that average especially seeing how inconsistent even some of the elite goalies are.

He had 7 games last season 5 of them against bottom feeders, that boosts the stats. His GSAA is 0, so he stops the shots he should, nothing more, he's average.
May 12 at 11:11 p.m.
Hawks decline, they have zero interest in paying for a rental
Snowhawk18, RicXX, Garak and 2 others liked this.
May 12 at 11:12 p.m.
Snowhawk
If there’s one way to get off that contract it’s this way. Get a perfect winger for bedsy as well

The Hawks don’t have any reason to get off of Jones contract, they have a ton of cap space. On top of that Jones while overpaid is still arguably the Hawks best d-man and plays 24 - 28 mins a game… who is going to eat those minutes on the right side?

While bringing Marner gives Bedard a high level playmaker, sending Kurashev the other way strips him of the guy he had the most chemistry with this past season and the Hawks of their 2nd leading scorer… and then you want a 2nd round pick as well.

That’s an easy no for Chicago.
RicXX, Garak, Hawksguy81 and 2 others liked this.
May 12 at 11:46 p.m.
Lets go fishing
Why would the Jets want Matthews if he's a problem?
May 13 at 8:39 a.m.

I know racists and meat head CHI fans on other forums pound their fists on the table to get rid of Jones, but they are racists meat heads that have no clue what they are talking about. And I know writers and analysts have pinned Jones as having "the worst contract in the NHL" in the past, but they were being reactionary, framing the situation wrong, and he has very much proven otherwise. CHI is not interested in moving Jones in the least bit unless he, first asks for a trade, and then they would have to be getting good value and not retaining.

The problem with Jones was never Jones, it was Stan Bowman giving up WAY overpaying for him in trade and then giving him a contract that was too big by about $2m, all while CHI was supposed to be starting a rebuild, in some feeble attempt to save his job because he knew the Jenner and Block report was coming.
PaulKorea and Snowhawk18 liked this.
May 13 at 8:50 a.m.
Quoting: Garak
I know racists and meat head CHI fans on other forums pound their fists on the table to get rid of Jones, but they are racists meat heads that have no clue what they are talking about. And I know writers and analysts have pinned Jones as having "the worst contract in the NHL" in the past, but they were being reactionary, framing the situation wrong, and he has very much proven otherwise. CHI is not interested in moving Jones in the least bit unless he, first asks for a trade, and then they would have to be getting good value and not retaining.

The problem with Jones was never Jones, it was Stan Bowman giving up WAY overpaying for him in trade and then giving him a contract that was too big by about $2m, all while CHI was supposed to be starting a rebuild, in some feeble attempt to save his job because he knew the Jenner and Block report was coming.

I don't think race has anything to do with it, but agree with everything else you are saying
Garak, PaulKorea and Snowhawk18 liked this.
May 13 at 9:04 a.m.
Quoting: ChiHawk
I don't think race has anything to do with it, but agree with everything else you are saying

There are definitely racists pushing this narrative. I've seen some blatantly racist stuff about him. I also think people of color in hockey can't get away with any of the mistakes that most white players do. Even closet racism is still racism.
PaulKorea liked this.
May 13 at 9:30 a.m.
There are definitely racists pushing this narrative. I've seen some blatantly racist stuff about him. I also think people of color in hockey can't get away with any of the mistakes that most white players do. Even closet racism is still racism.

There are some outliers sure, and I agree it's really no different then white people in basketball, lots of racist stuff there too. That said, it's best IMO to set examples and focus on the hockey player regardless of color. To that extent, Jones is overpaid by $2M and agree Bowman the buffoon screwed that up and likely to deflect against the beach situation as well. However, Jones does frustrate me at times, as he gets frustrated with the situation in Chicago (rightfully so) and takes nights off like he's going through the motions. When he does give it his all, he's a top line guy on 90% of NHL teams.
Garak, PaulKorea and Snowhawk18 liked this.
May 13 at 9:59 a.m.
There are some outliers sure, and I agree it's really no different then white people in basketball, lots of racist stuff there too. That said, it's best IMO to set examples and focus on the hockey player regardless of color. To that extent, Jones is overpaid by $2M and agree Bowman the buffoon screwed that up and likely to deflect against the beach situation as well. However, Jones does frustrate me at times, as he gets frustrated with the situation in Chicago (rightfully so) and takes nights off like he's going through the motions. When he does give it his all, he's a top line guy on 90% of NHL teams.

I don't think it is just outliers. Sure the loud and blatantly racist ones are a small minority, but subconscious and systemic racism is absolutely wide spread. POC are ALWAYS under more of a microscope than white dudes in Hockey. I get wanting stay objective and set the example, and I realize pointing it out is uncomfortable, but that doesn't make it any less true. So, if we are having discussions in a group setting in a public forum, such as CapFriendly, when people bring up all the backwards talking points about him, it is worth noting that most of those narratives stem from unfair and/or racist biases. So, sure, he does frustrate at times, but no more than Fliggy, Dicky, Vlasic, Bedsy, or anyone else frustrates me at times, but everyone loves them and no one picks them apart nearly as much. If they make mistakes everyone forgets about them after a couple days or even minutes. $hit, most of the time people just ignore their mistakes entirely, like they don't even see the blatantly dumb move they just made and/or they immediately make excuses for them.
May 13 at 10:29 a.m.
I don't think it is just outliers. Sure the loud and blatantly racist ones are a small minority, but subconscious and systemic racism is absolutely wide spread. POC are ALWAYS under more of a microscope than white dudes in Hockey. I get wanting stay objective and set the example, and I realize pointing it out is uncomfortable, but that doesn't make it any less true. So, if we are having discussions in a group setting in a public forum, such as CapFriendly, when people bring up all the backwards talking points about him, it is worth noting that most of those narratives stem from unfair and/or racist biases. So, sure, he does frustrate at times, but no more than Fliggy, Dicky, Vlasic, Bedsy, or anyone else frustrates me at times, but everyone loves them and no one picks them apart nearly as much. If they make mistakes everyone forgets about them after a couple days or even minutes. $hit, most of the time people just ignore their mistakes entirely, like they don't even see the blatantly dumb move they just made and/or they immediately make excuses for them.

Honestly, it's not a fair comparison to rookies. Seth is a veteran pro and leader. I get he's in a tough spot on a rebuilding team, but being the highest paid on the team and one of the players with the most tenure sets the bar for leadership much higher and leading by example. It has nothing to do with his race in most people's opinion but instead to do with the aforementioned. Not to mention he's mixed, which is about the coolest race smile
PaulKorea liked this.
May 13 at 11:03 a.m.
Edited May 13 at 11:14 a.m.
Honestly, it's not a fair comparison to rookies. Seth is a veteran pro and leader. I get he's in a tough spot on a rebuilding team, but being the highest paid on the team and one of the players with the most tenure sets the bar for leadership much higher and leading by example. It has nothing to do with his race in most people's opinion but instead to do with the aforementioned. Not to mention he's mixed, which is about the coolest race smile

Sure. But everyone else is gone at this point. So there isn't much left in CHI to compare to. haha. Idk, maybe I'm just sensitive to it growing up in a predominantly white podunk town hearing all the "I'm not racist, but..." comments, racial slurs, and the racially charged micro-aggressions and undertones. I even almost fell for the racist bull$hit at a young age, but luckily I had a Mexican uncle and a good family to set me straight, along with being just barely smart enough to figure out how dumb it all was.
ChiHawk liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll