SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

Big Top 50 with Analysis

Big Top 50 with Analysis

Draft Class: 2024
Created By: Z0ra
Published: May 16 at 12:28 a.m.
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the San Jose Sharks-I think everyone knows who the Sharks will pick here. Its Celebrini. They get skill, speed, size, and team defense up front. The depth down the middle for the Sharks looks insane now, Celebrini-Smith-Bystedt is something special. Congrats Sharks fan.
2Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-The ongoing rumor is that Chicago is high on Dickinson, but Demidov has slowly solidified himself as the clear #2 in the draft. The upside is about as good as Celebrini's, and a future duo of Bedard and Demidov would look enticing for the future. Demidov has spoken out and said he wants to come over to NA as soon as possible, so the wait wouldn't have to be long at all. Demidov was #1 on my board at multiple points of the season before getting injured, so that explains how good of a pickup this is for Chicago. They get pure playmaking along with speed, 200-ft game, and a guy that can shoot from anywhere. Is he a better prospect than Michkov? I don't think so, Demidov's upside is slightly lower and he's less well-rounded. But Demidov has the edge in terms of consistency and maturity. No matter what, the Blackhawks get a top line generational winger to help Bedard lead the team.
3Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-Anaheim is a team that doesn't have a clear positional need. While the play may be BPA, Verbeek and company are really high on Levshunov and I think he will be the pick here. Levshunov seems like a Verbeek type guy: two-way defender with size, smarts and skill. The Ducks already have a stacked prospect pool, it just gets even better from here. A top 4 of Mintyukov, Levshunov, Luneau, and Zellweger would be nasty for the future.
4Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-Columbus is another team without a clear need, but one thing they could use in their system is size and speed. Lindstrom addresses both of these. Dynamic two-way winger/center, has size, speed, defensive smarts, and a booming shot. Center depth behind Fantilli is lacking, a future 1-2 punch down the middle with Fantilli and Lindstrom would be excellent for the future.
5Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-Ok, here's where the draft gets really interesting. We have our first reach with this pick. The Canadiens no matter what better options that are available take their guy. Last year it was Reinbacher, this year its Sennecke. Apparently they have talked to a few prospects already, but the guy that is intriguing them the most is Sennecke. Clear reach in the top 5, but Sennecke has one of the best toolkits in the draft. Insane hands, hockey IQ, size, and skating. Pretty much a Matthew Boldy type player, Sennecke just needs to round out his defensive game and continue filling out his frame. A big, mean line of Slafkovsky, Dach, and Sennecke would wreak havoc against other teams.
7Logo of the Ottawa Senators-I wasn't sure where to go with this Senators pick. They could pretty much use anything but LD. I have them taking Iginla because I feel like their biggest need is a goal-scorer to play with Stutzle. He provides exactly that along with compete, skill, and physicality. More of a Chris Kreider type build, the skating isn't there and there's not enough consistency without the puck. A top line of Tkachuk-Stutzle-Iginla would be scary for the future.
8Logo of the Seattle Kraken-I believe that Francis will go heavy with defenders this whole draft. Drafting Dickinson is a great way to start. He falls into their lap, the Kraken once again end up getting lucky during the 1st round. Dickinson is pretty much the complete package and has all the necessary tools a GM looks for in a prospect. Big kid, booming shot, physical, and can skate really well. Comparable to Noah Hanifin in many ways, pretty much no holes except his smarts offensively. Sooner rather than later, Dickinson will be the future anchor of the Kraken blue line.
9Logo of the Calgary Flames-Calgary is a team that is clearly rebuilding given by the trades involving Lindholm and Hanifin. They value size a lot in their prospects, the two smaller yet skilled prospects that they have drafted in general within the past few years have been only Coronato and Zary. They go with size again and draft Silayev. He does have a two-year contract in the KHL, but the upside is well worth drafting here. Similar player to Dickinson, the pure two-way forward but has worse puck skills. Also doesn't have the offensive smarts, but his size, skating, and defensive game alone are good enough to put him here. But I do expect Silayev to fall a bit mostly due to that 2-year KHL contract, I'm sure it will be too long of a wait for the teams above Calgary. But the Flames are in a rebuild, so they can take their time waiting for Silayev's arrival. Get the potential out of him, they have themselves the future #1 defender of the blue line.
10Logo of the New Jersey Devils-I have the Devils drafting Stiga here. A bit of a reach, but he gives the Devils the goal-scoring touch that they haven't gotten from Holtz. The Devils did confirm that they are no longer high on Holtz, let Stiga come in and inject scoring. But while he can do exactly that, Stiga is more known for his elite defensive game and being the best skater in the draft. No real holes in his game aside from using his body with the puck. He mainly tends to find the open area rather than powering himself thru the opposition. William Eklund type player.
11Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-This is where I have Eiserman going. In 2022, Wright fell cause of his maturity and the lack of playing time. Eiserman has played but there are question marks about his maturity so that may scare a few teams away. But Eiserman is of course an elite goal-scorer but he also plays with slick hands and offensive IQ. His skating is better than what some think, while he doesn't have agility, Eiserman has shown that he can play with speed. More of a straight-line winger. Eiserman does also lack team defense. More of a boom or bust prospect, if given the right development, Eiserman will light up the NHL and give the Sabres the scoring winger they currently want.
12Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-The Flyers aren't going to let Buium slip any further than this. Anywhere past the top 10 is considered a steal. Even though the Flyers already have Bonk, Drysdale, Andrae, and York, adding Buium would give them another premium D to build the back end around. A top pair of Buium and Drysdale would be tantalizing for Briere and company, who has done well drafting since taking over Fletchers position. Buium is a solid stay-at-home defender, but he isn't physically imposing. But the Flyers have had to play Kris Letang a lot throughout the past decade, here they get a similar breed of player.
13Logo of the Minnesota Wild-The Wild take Chernyshov here, whose draft range is wide open. Can go from at least 12th to 30th. Its a coin flip for him, but this just feels like a Guerin type pick. Some may call it a reach and I get it. But the upside is there and I love Chernyshov's skating, something I value a lot while scouting prospects. Chernyshov is a pure power forward with speed, playmaking, 200-ft game, and a booming shot. Good two-way option as well. Pierre-Luc Dubois is a solid comparison for him, even though Chernyshov has the offensive tools to succeed at the highest level, finding consistency offensively is an area to improve. Also the Russian factor is a thing, but the Wild have shown they aren't afraid of Russians given the Yurov pick. And they have developed Russians well, given the Kaprizov and Khusnutdinov picks. Yurov didn't show a lot of offense in his draft year, here its the same scenario for Chernyshov. If the Wild are able to get the potential out of Chernyshov, he could be a solid top 6 winger for them aside smaller players like Rossi and Khusnutdinov.
14Logo of the San Jose SharksLogo of the Pittsburgh PenguinsThe Sharks need a D more, and while Parekh is a good option, they aren't going to let Catton slip any further. Catton has really good intangibles and is solid in all areas. However, I do expect him to fall a bit during draft day due to GMs favoring size over anything. This is basically this year's Zach Benson, so there's a good chance that Catton sneaks into the NHL by surprise. Pretty much lacks size and strength, but is great everywhere else. Sharks get a steal here.
15Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-I believe the RD depth is already good enough with Sandin Pelikka and Seider, therefore I don't see Parekh being taken here. Instead the Red Wings take Brandsegg Nygard. I considered Greentree here because of the strong connections from Detroit to Windsor, but MBN plays in the SHL. That's all there is to it, Yzerman loves the SHL talent. MBN is a pure power forward who brings scoring and grit, two things that Detroit is missing in their forward core.
16Logo of the St. Louis Blues-The Blues are the one team that need D the most, not wingers OR centers. And if Parekh is still available, they cannot pass up on him. Yes, there are holes in his defensive game but the offense on him is unreal. Zach Werenski type player: pure offensive defenseman with slick puck handling, shot, playmaking, skating. Defensively he can stick check but all the other areas he needs improvement. A top pair of Lindstein and Parekh would look enticing for the future.
17Logo of the Washington Capitals-Like everyone is expected, Connelly will fall quite a bit during the draft. Whoever grabs Connelly is getting a heck of a prospect, he has top 5 talent all over him. Pretty much can do everything right offensively and is also the second best skater in the draft behind Stiga. In Washington's case, they are known for taking prospects with a lot of question marks. Ignore the off-ice issues, take Connelly for the talent.
18Logo of the New York Islanders-The Islanders get a steal at 18th in Helenius. Even though wingers aren't a need, Helenius can play center and can form a strong 1-2 punch down the middle with Barzal. I feel like Helenius will fall due to the lack of intangibles in his game. But he has played wonderfully against men and plays a solid all-around game. Pretty much the same player at Catton, except without the intangibles. A good NHL comp for Helenius would be Lehkonen.
19Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-After back-to-back steals in Connelly and Helenius, Vegas reaches for Burrows here, who is basically a clone of Mark Stone. Two-way winger with a knack of going hard-nosed to the net and is more than willing to muck it up in the corners. Has size and poise. However, Burrows is more of a straight line player as he lacks agility in his game. Also more playing more minutes against higher competition is a question mark, in the small sample size Burrows has played, he's done great. Super underrated player, Burrows fits the Golden Knights system very well.
20Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Tampa Bay LightningThe Blackhawks get Greentree here, who is one of the bigger fallers in the draft. But he has the clear making of a power forward, something that the Blackhawks could use. The new top line would be Bedard-Demidov-Greentree. The Blackhawks are getting a player who has smarts, size, slick playmaking, and a booming shot. Also one of the better forecheckers in the draft. However, rounding out his skating is a priority in order to make the NHL as well as finding more consistency without the puck. But I don't expect Greentree to drop out of the top 20 due to his tall frame which most GMs favor. The Blackhawks look more dangerous from here.
21Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-LA did a very good job grooming Toffoli into an impactful player, Parascak plays a similar breed of game. Skilled forward but needs to round out his skating and defensive play.
22Logo of the Nashville Predators-Nashville is the team that takes the high rising Boisvert. The Predators need a center in the system. Boisvert is the best center and the best player available at this point. Solid all-around center that plays with skill and smarts and has played unreal defensively. More of a Dylan Strome type player, where the two-way game is there, but offensively is inconsistent.
23Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs-Given the Cowan pick last year, I have a feeling that Toronto will reach once again and turn Elick into a heck of a prospect. Reportedly they are high on him, while the offensive upside isn't there Elick has been unreal defensively and has shown slick puck skills. Plays size and does everything for you defensively. Toronto has lacked team defense in the playoffs, Elick can give them exactly that. Not as big of a reach as Cowan, but still a reach as Elick isn't on my draft board.
24Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the Edmonton OilersI wasn't sure where to go with this Ducks pick, after taking their guy in Levshunov, they take another Verbeek type player in Beaudoin. Has size and is committed to playing a two-way game. Power forward that is similar to Boone Jenner: wins faceoffs, physical, smart, skilled and has a booming shot. Power forward centers like Beaudoin are hard to come by, Anaheim gets one here.
25Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-It is clear that the Avalanche need a 2C long-term as the future of Mittelstadt is unknown. They take Surin here, who is another high riser. The upside is totally worth it at this point and he's pretty much the same player as Beaudoin. Likely a better player, skating is a lot better but he lacks discipline in his game. But plays the same power forward game as a center. Expect Surin to go much higher than expected.
26Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the Boston BruinsAfter drafting Iginla, potentially reaching for him, the Senators get a steal here in Jiricek. That is, if he can stay healthy. I feel like many teams may back off from him due to the fact that he was injured for most of the season, but given his incredible two-way game and skating, I don't think Jiricek falls out of the first round. He also addresses a positional need for Ottawa as a RD. Great top 4 option alongside Sanderson, Chabot, and Chychrun.
27Logo of the Montreal CanadiensLogo of the Winnipeg JetsSome may call this a reach, but I do see Luchanko going around this spot. He is basically the kid I compare most to Nick Suzuki.
28Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-Carolina has had a trend of selecting high schoolers early on in the draft. And after the Nadeau and Morrow picks have paid off, they pick Letourneau who will give them the long-term 2C option. Pure power forward, comparable to Tage Thompson.
29Logo of the Calgary FlamesLogo of the Vancouver CanucksHaving gone for Silayev, Calgary goes for skill over size and draft his teammate in Artamonov. This is a similar thing to what Arizona did last year: select two Russian teammates.
30Logo of the Philadelphia FlyersLogo of the Florida PanthersThe Flyers get a heck of a prospect in Bednarik, whom I see going much higher than this. Plays with strong playmaking and is committed to playing a two-way game. Phillip Danault type player with Rantanen passing.
31Logo of the Dallas Stars-Dallas goes for BPA, which is Hemming.
32Logo of the New York Rangers-The surging Rangers take a guy that plays like Artemi Panarin in Basha. Smart in all areas offensively.
ROUND 2TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
33Logo of the San Jose Sharks-The Sharks get a player who plays a lot like the former Norris winner Erik Karlsson.
34Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-RD is Chicago's secondary need, they get lucky that Emery has dropped to the second round. There are a couple of good options for Chicago, reuniting Howe with Bedard would be a great storyline or drafting a guy in their backyard in Hage is another good option. But Emery addresses a positional need and gives the Blackhawks a nice shutdown option on the 2nd pair.
35Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-The Ducks get lucky that Sahlin Wallenius has fallen to the 2nd round. He plays a lot like Pavel Mintyukov.
36Logo of the Philadelphia FlyersLogo of the Columbus Blue JacketsThe Flyers grab the kid I compare most to Cam Atkinson.
37Logo of the Winnipeg JetsLogo of the Montreal CanadiensWas hoping for Elick or Emery to fall to my team, but if they don't we should grab Caswell, who did have the pedigree of a top 5 player coming into the season. Plays a lot like Cole Perfetti, so fitting into the system wouldn't be a problem at all.
39Logo of the Ottawa Senators-
Ilya Nabokov
The Senators grab their future starter in Nabokov. He's an overager and its the last year of being a draft eligible player. But he has been unreal in the KHL this year and should be an early pick because of it.
40Logo of the Seattle Kraken-Back to back goaltenders. The Kraken get the #1 goalie on my board in George, who put himself on the NHL radar during the U18s.
41Logo of the Calgary Flames-Calgary gets a player that plays a lot like Gaudreau in Ritchie.
42Logo of the San Jose SharksLogo of the New Jersey DevilsSharks aren't going to get the once called top prospect in the draft fall any further than this. I did consider Maxim Masse cause of his two-way game, but Kiviharju shouldn't fall any further. Even though the Sharks have some LD prospects, Kiviharju's offensive potential alone could help him play his offside.
43Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-The Sabres got their scoring winger, here they address a need for RD and grab another riser in Roberts.
44Logo of the Pittsburgh PenguinsLogo of the Philadelphia FlyersThe Penguins grab a rawer version of Evgeni Malkin here.
45Logo of the Minnesota Wild-The Wild aren't going to let Hutson slip any further. Skilled two-way defender that lacks size.
46Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins-A 1-2 punch down the middle with Yager and Hage would be nice for the future. A bit surprising to see Hage available this late.
47Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-Yzerman drafts another WHLer in Howe. Could turn out to be the Joshua Roy of this draft.
48Logo of the St. Louis Blues-If Shuravin manages to find his offense, he could turn out to be a nice premium defender for the Blues.
49Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the Washington CapitalsThe Coyotes after grabbing two RD take a big and gritty forward in Jecho.
50Logo of the New York Islanders-The Islanders grab a nice shutdown option in Skahan.
51Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-
52Logo of the Washington CapitalsLogo of the Vegas Golden Knights
53Logo of the Nashville PredatorsLogo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
54Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Los Angeles Kings
55Logo of the Nashville Predators-
56Logo of the St. Louis BluesLogo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
57Logo of the Edmonton Oilers-
58Logo of the Montreal CanadiensLogo of the Colorado Avalanche
59Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the Boston Bruins
60Logo of the Nashville PredatorsLogo of the Winnipeg Jets
61Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-
62Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Vancouver Canucks
63Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the Florida Panthers
64Logo of the Calgary FlamesLogo of the Dallas Stars
65Logo of the Seattle KrakenLogo of the New York Rangers
May 16 at 12:53 a.m.
I love when you post, well done again here buddy. I'm so happy to see you give us Nabokov, I'm in love with him right now. Iginla - Jiricek - Nabokov would be an insane draft for us.
Logicalicesports liked this.
May 16 at 1:19 a.m.
Quoting: StutzlesNumber1Fan
I love when you post, well done again here buddy. I'm so happy to see you give us Nabokov, I'm in love with him right now. Iginla - Jiricek - Nabokov would be an insane draft for us.

Sorry but that's not allowed. I know there's no relation but the Sharks are going to trade to acquire pick 219 (something like their 2025 7th for the pick) and take another goalie named Nabokov 30 years later with the same pick.
StutzlesNumber1Fan liked this.
May 16 at 1:30 a.m.
Quoting: jamnjon
Sorry but that's not allowed. I know there's no relation but the Sharks are going to trade to acquire pick 219 (something like their 2025 7th for the pick) and take another goalie named Nabokov 30 years later with the same pick.

This Nabokov is ours!!
May 16 at 2:43 a.m.
mokumboi
I'd only take Parekh to trade him, but he won't be there are 16. I dig the Shuravin pick, though I might prefer Skahan or Solberg. Not sure about that, it would be a very tough choice. Probably take the one least likely to slide to our late 3rd and hope another one stays on the board.
May 16 at 10:31 a.m.
Quoting: mokumboi
I'd only take Parekh to trade him, but he won't be there are 16. I dig the Shuravin pick, though I might prefer Skahan or Solberg. Not sure about that, it would be a very tough choice. Probably take the one least likely to slide to our late 3rd and hope another one stays on the board.

I think Solberg would be the most likely to drop to our 3rd, my guess is that none of them would and perhaps Pullkinnen might be there. There are tons of D men to choose from in the second round so If we arent able to trade up, we can probably rest easy picking Jiricik or Yakemchuk and two of the aformentioned DMen in the second.
May 16 at 10:41 a.m.
free ville
May 16 at 10:42 a.m.
free ville
Logicalicesports liked this.
May 16 at 11:03 a.m.
Quoting: Z0ra
Logicalicesports

I would love to see you do a three round draft.

I think the Capitals have two spots of need, RW and RHD. BUTTTTTTTTT I can absolutely see them taking Connelly if he is on the board there and I would not be upset with it. Unfortunately I cannot see who you have us taking in the second and third round and that is why I really want to see your top 97 in this draft
May 16 at 11:22 a.m.
Quoting: StutzlesNumber1Fan

Ideal for Ottawa
StutzlesNumber1Fan liked this.
May 16 at 1:47 p.m.
Why would you want the Devils to reach when Eiserman and CATTON are right there. Dude stop the over hype and you clearly dont watch devils hockey, Holtz was glued to the 4th line cuz NJ is ran by clueless idiots. Sitga is another"holtz" IMO by your dumb logic
May 16 at 5:10 p.m.
Asimpleplan
Having 3 players fall with the Flames is a nice outcome, Silayev to 9 and especially Ritchie to 41 is a little surprising. I won't complain if it works out. Along with not dropping Iginla to the Flames is another nice touch, too easy to put him there.
May 17 at 9:55 a.m.
No regretzkys
Great analysis. Can't say I agree with everything, but love the thought process and detail
May 21 at 1:36 p.m.
Fantastic analysis. I'd love to see the Leafs nab Elick, although I can't see the Caps taking Connelly with the backlash they'd face. There's no way Hage falls to #46 though.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll